What foods have you given up to loose weight?

Options
Sepa
Sepa Posts: 243 Member
Just wondering which foods peeps have given up to loose weight? Do you think giving them up has helped you loose weight or just made you crave 'naughty' foods even more? :smile: :heart:

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've "given up" Mexican food. I use quotation marks because I haven't totally stopped eating it. I just seriously limit it now. I LOVE Mexican food, but all that cheese adds up pretty quick! I don't think you should have to totally give up something 100% to lose weight, it's about being able to control yourself. If you have to have that "naughty good" just have a few bites and be done. You'll satisfy your craving without sabotaging your calorie goals...and if you do eat the whole thing...don't sweat it...get right back on track and focus on all your progress!
  • Ejcj89
    Ejcj89 Posts: 5
    Options
    I generally have given up nothing but watch portion size. I focus more on calories so I ask myself if 200 for cookies is worth it or have something like a huge salad that will fill me up for much longer and less calories. Sometimes though I give into temptation as you just need a 'fix'
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up any foods, I just don't have them as often and when I do I don't eat as much. I still have chocolate ice cream about 3-4 times per week but now I buy the 100 calorie cups and only have one instead of a big bowl. I think it's all about balance and a lifestyle that you can keep up even after you've lost the weight. I still continue to lose about 2 pounds each week.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I posted something like this a week ago. I've noticed that most people haven't given up anything they just tend to eat it in moderation.
  • GrayJohn
    GrayJohn Posts: 74
    Options
    Me personally, I've given up KFC - McDonalds and other take out places. For me I was spending around £150 a month on junk food. I can't remember the last time I had KFC or McDonalds, well over a year ago now. I don't miss it at all.

It's obviously worked, the thought of going to those places now makes me feel sick. I now prefer to cook stir frys - so much tastier and better for you.

I still love Diet Coke though, I have given that up for lent though!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta and bread. Not totally. But I just can't justify so many calories for so little food anymore so I favor a big cup of chopped veggies or some other alternative. I can't do freakishly small portions. XD But, for the most part, I still eat full-fat everything. Especially dairy. You can't fake good dairy.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    other than a trip for ice cream, or a run through a drive through now and then, I really havent given anything up. I have however reduced my portions significantly (now eating a "normal" portion / serving) and I have to say, I havent found it too difficult at all. If there is something that I would like, that I probably shouldnt have, I really try to keep the rest of the day in check, with very healthy choices. I have been on this journey for appox 21 days and have lost 8.5 lbs and 1 inch in the hips. Seeing the results is enough for me right now to stay on the right track. good luck to you!!

ps. sometimes its easier to give into your temptation, just for a bite or a lick in order to get your satisfaction, I find if I dont, then I'm snacking on this that and the other to fulfill that "need"
  • PinkButterfly77
    Options
    First it started with Beer and Diet Pepsi. My Diet Pepsi seriously has been the hardest by far. I hate water. Then I gave up hamburgers and french fries. I can honestly say though I have felt so much better. One day I was in a hurry, grabbed a Wendy's combo meal, with a chicken sandwich and fries (gasp!) and I felt like crap! So, I just keep myself in check now and tell myself it's not only worth the extra pounds but now it's not worth feeling that way again either! That has been a big motivator for me!
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    Ive given up processed carbohydrates all together. No bread, potatoes, rice, no nothing for this miss!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Pizza, my lifelong love.
  • ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've given up on Skittles...I was obsessed, and honestly still love them, but I think for a while, until I reach my weight goal at least, I won't be having them. Once I'm at my ideal weight and learn how to balance out healthy eating with 1-2 days a week of allowing myself some splurges, I'll be having them once again :)
    also all fast food like McDonald's, BK, etc...I would like to believe I've given them up for good and if I were to have it I would try to pick healthier options in the menu
  • dfresh926
    dfresh926 Posts: 48
    Options
    uhhh pretty much everything!!! yaaayyy :(
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    None.

I don't deprive myself of anything.

I just watch how much of it I eat.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    pop and chips mostly. I didn't give anything up really b/c i can still have a bite if i ever want one . Really i just taught myself that I don't want them b/c of the individual things that make up the whole item.
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I've given up fast food and soda. I can't even really eat the fast food without getting sick now. For lent I've given up sweets. We will see how that turns out...

Everything else I just eat in moderation. I think everyone else has said it right. It is about a lifestyle where you still get to have what you want but you may modify it to be healthier or eat smaller portions. It is about changing how you think about things.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I have given up real ice cream and hot fudge sundaes. Now instead I eat weight watchers ice cream bars or skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, or frozen yogurt
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The only thing i have given up is chips (or fries), started this as a lent thing. Its actually turned out to be a really good thing as i work in a pub and chips are sold all the time I find myself sneaking a few here and there which turns out to be a portion over a full shift. May just give them up completely? I only crave them when someone puts some vinegar on them. Mmmmmmmm chips with vinegar :laugh:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. I just eat them in moderation. I'm a foodie!:tongue:
    But I used to drink 3 cans of soda every day, but I haven't seen soda in a while, unless it's coke- once in a blue moon. (:
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Chips and dip. Chips includes Cheetos (my very favorite). I've given up junk food entirely, but chips were my real downfall.

Mary
    (43lbs gone and counting)
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I haven't given anything up. Not yet at least. I'm just looking at having smaller portions at the moment.

It's possible that in time I'll decide that some foods aren't worth the calories for me, or aren't worth the exercise to allow me their calories and still stay in my goal, but for now I'm fairly happy with my diet.