Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What foods have you given up to loose weight?

Replies

• Binging :bigsmile: that's it for now.
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    I gave up on donuts. I love them but they are not a good thing to have around. Ill eat the whole box!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    I gave up practically everything I liked. Few years ago it would be unthinkable to me to give up Big Mac, pizza or Chinese food, but this time I did it.

Last year I developed very strong motivation that helped me implement drastic changes in my eating habits. As far as food was concerned, I was determined to do anything humanly possible to lose weight.

Now, most of the days I eat fresh fruits (apples, blackberries, and blueberries), vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, green and red pepper, cucumbers, carrots, spinach), whole grain bread, turkey breast 99% fat free, grilled skinless chicken breasts and fish.

I lost 46 pounds fast and I would say it happened painlessly. My approach to weight loss is working for me.

My only concern is noticeable muscle loss.

When I read this post it could have been mine! In February it was like a switch went off in me and I have been very focused. I really enjoy this new lifestyle and pray that it will bring me to my goal.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    I haven't completely given up anything. I just have to watch it with fast food, sweets, & soda mostly. I still allow myself a little here and there, or find a healthier version.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    So many changes in food.... I'm finding more and more it is about eating things like good fats, proteins and carbs. I went to the gym for so many years without having the proper knowledge of how important diet was, don't get me wrong exercise is important and I do it 6 days a week but I really know now that it’s 80% diet. I know different things work for different people but honestly I can't believe all I've taken away from using myfitnesspal. The struggle of knowing what to eat is still a daily learning process for me and I find myself eating more and more of the same things because over the last 4 months it has worked so well. I have always eaten pretty good foods (so I thought). As of right now I found what is working for me but I know in a month it could change because i will get bored or I find out something new. I hope that if anyone has good ideas or see changes I could make let me know and I will consider it, try it out and let you know how it works. I am always looking for any information that will help me feel better and live healthy. There is a lot more changes I have made but this is what I could think of.
    • instead of Iceberg Lettuce I eat baby spinach
    • Instead of eating French salad dressing I use fat free raspberry oil
    • instead of eating 95% turkey burger I eat buffalo meat
    • instead of eating flavored weight controlled oatmeal I eat 1 minute Oats w/a 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon & ¼ cup of blueberries or raspberries
    • Instead of a candy bar I eat a Cliff builders peanut butter bar
    • Instead of butter I use smart balance
    • Instead of salt I use Mrs. Dash table blend
    • Instead of flavored water I drink only water and add lemon, limes or oranges
    • Instead of milk I drink almond or coconut milk
    • Instead of sugar free red bull I use NO Explode
    • I refuse to eat out anymore; I want to control what goes into my food.

Some more tips….
    • I always make sure I get good carbs in before 5pm
    • Usually either Uncle bens whole grain wheat rice or
    • Wheat noodles
    • 1 piece Wheat thin bread
    • I always eat 4 boiled eats sometime before lunch
    • I drink my protein drink right after my workout (I take it w/me and just add water after im done working out at
    the gym)
    • I eat a piece of fruit right before my work out (usually 1 apple)
    • I try to eat 10 or so almonds everyday
    • I allow myself to pick one of the following per day for a snack as long as I eat it before 5 pm (I do this because
    love snacking and because I have built into my calorie intake)
    o 100 calorie bag of popcorn (like smart balance)
    o Fat free sugar free cheesecake pudding w/ a little bit of Hersey’s dark cho. Syrup
    o Chocolate milk shake made as follows
    Dark choc. Almond Milk
    ¼ cup protein powder
    ¼ cup frozen yogurt
    ½ cup ice
    Little bit of water

• I eat 2 tsp. everyday of either natural peanut butter or flaxseeds
    • I drink only water
    • I try really hard not to use any salt or sugar of any kind
    • I keep a basket of healthy snacks in my car just in case I find myself in a situation where i need to eat something;
    don’t want to stop at a gas station. (almonds, protein bars, a baggie of protein powder)
    • I keep a 6 pack of waters in my car
  • WIQQID
    WIQQID Posts: 13
    I also gave up MOST foods. The reason I did this was because I know myself.. I know my strengths and my weaknesses. I am one of those people, in order to stay motivated, needs to see fantastic results, quickly. But, I'm not doing this naively. It took me 3 months to do enough research to where I feel comfortable losing weight really fast. I started my diet 11 days ago and have lost 19lbs so far. I watch my carb intake as well as my caloric intake. I am very careful about the type of carbs I eat; Almost all of which come from vegetables, whereas most of my calories come from protein. Eating enough protein will help me keep from losing muscle while I lose weight really fast. After another 6 days I will add some different foods to my diet and start more vigorous exercise to help rev up my metabolism. We'll see how it works. :)
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    I've given up way too many foods to list! One big favorite was spanish rice *drool* Has giving up these foods helped me, definitely! I look back now and realize I was eating way too many carbs which were all turning to fat, making me fat!
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    Well....starting really soon (June 16th) I am going to cut out sugar. The hardest part will be giving up my soda. I have a coke at work every day. (It helps me make it through my day when I want to go to sleep after lunch :) ) School is out on June 10th and I have training on the 14 and 15. I will be weaning myself now as the last few days draw near - so I hopefully won't have a withdrawl headache. Wish me luck..... I will need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:sad:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Soda. I only drink it at parties :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    I really haven't given up any. I gave up gluten because I am sensitive to it and when I did dairy stopped giving me trouble so, it's been great. Eat everything still but in moderation and with a a lot more creativity and imagination thrown in.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    I really haven't given up any. I gave up gluten because I am sensitive to it and when I did dairy stopped giving me trouble so, it's been great. Eat everything still but in moderation and with a a lot more creativity and imagination thrown in.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I've only given up eating more. I believe it's all about portion control, so if I eat half of what I could, I'm in great shape.
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Soda! When I was 200lbs, I'd have AT LEAST 5-7 Pepsis daily. & I wondered why I was heavy? Lol

I've also given up doughnuts (that used to be my breakfast every weekend), the YUMMY ice creams (ie Ben & Jerry's Half Baked, Cold Stone's cake batter ice cream, etc.), & anything from McDonalds.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    i haven't given up anything, i just watch my portion sizes
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Fast food in general like mcdonalds, burgerking, dairy queen, a&w etc.
    I still occasionally eat pizza, edo and subway.

I have no other off limits foods though.....everything in
    moderation.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Farfalle with Chicken and Roasted Garlic, from the Cheesecake Factory.

2190 calories in a dish...!? RIDICULOUS. Even if I eat half, and bag the other half, that's way too much.

I don't even want to say I "gave it up" because I don't feel deprived about it. Just thinking about the caloric count makes me want to run far, far away from that thing.

Everything else, I still eat, just not as often and portion-moderated.
  • I've eliminated quite a few foods that I used to eat actually. I find a lot of what I used to eat just doesn't have a place anymore if I want to get the most bang for my buck when eating. Right now, my calorie goal is 1320 calories and that goes awfully quick if I choose foods that are more processed or just less healthy in general. I find many ways to get my fixes if I need to.

I've tried to eliminate most processed foods, fast food, all soda.
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    I havent eliminated any foods as such but after ive eaten something then logged it I will think 'was that worth it for the calories?' if the answer is no then I havent had it again. But if the answer is yes even although it is high in calories I would have it again but as a treat occasionally.
  • sunnybigmc
    sunnybigmc Posts: 29
    When I was on my low carb diet from Jan to early May I had given up bread pasta starches sweets fried food.. all the good stuff. but now i'm on the low calorie diet now.. I still don't eat fried food. but it has definitely helped me lose my weight :) 37lbs down!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I gave up potato products, pasta, rice, sodas, and most processed foods. Surprisingly, I don't miss it at all. I feel great and have lost 18 lbs in the last 2 months but more importantly have dropped 5% body fat and lost about 6 inches around my waist, thighs, and hips.

I'm on a high protein diet so I eat a lot of meat, and I've been able to build a lot of muscle doing major strength training. For the first time in years, my calves and arms are starting to show some definition. Sofar so good :)