Canned tuna recipes?

Options

Replies

• brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This past weekend, I made up a version of tuna salad. I used one can of tuna, 1/2 cup of non-fat plain yogurt and a little mustard. mixed it up - have been using it in 1/4's. Toast a piece of bread, put the tuna on top, add some shredded colby cheese and a little lettuce on top -- Open Face Tuna Sandwich. Total Calories were 177. I had to figure each item by itself, but if you use lower cal bread/cheese, it could even be less than that.
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump :-)
  • Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great thread and wonderful ideas!! Thank for sharing everyone!
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's delish on top of a salad as well!! Salt and pepper! Sometimes I'll make a mini pizza with tuna and a ton of veggies on it!! Yummy!!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • suelynn62
    suelynn62 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Love that website - thanks!
  • missk232
    missk232 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually make tuna pasta out of my canned tuna. Simple and delicious;

Take 1 clove of garlic and say quarter of an onion( I prefer red onions) and saute in a pan over a med-high heat, throw in about a handful of veges- fresh or frozen and cook a little longer over a medium heat. Then add 2/3 of a cup of low-cal/low sodium tomato based pasta sauce until it's nice and hot then flake some tuna chunks into it, stir them in and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

I usually serve mine over a plate of whole wheat pasta, with a small amount of low cal cheese.

It's a really quick and easy way to enjoy tuna.

Also, try putting tuna into a toasted whole wheat pita pocked with salad and a little bit of sweet chili sauce, that's another favourite of mine too :)
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I just had a really nice salad for lunch which had tuna in it. Feel free to have a look :). I'm interested in this topic too! Can't think of anything good to do with it except salad or sandwich :(

Also, I'm pretty sure my breath smells like cat food now. *runs off to find a mint*
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Just want to warn you to please not eat more than one can of tuna per week. Tuna contains mercury and it's deadly.

I love tuna and it was a shock to learn about it -- just needed you to know...
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    I'm kinda simple with my canned tuna:

albacore tuna chunks in water
    drain water
    balsamic vinegar
    chinese five spice
    mix
    eat.

Sounds interesting...how much balsamic and how much of the chinese five spice? :)
  • Thea_N
    Thea_N Posts: 16
    Options
    i do a quick and simple healthy mix.

1-2 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt
    shake of indian spices
    chopped celery
    chopped apple
    wrap it in a low carb tortilla and youre set!

more ideas on my blog
    http://theanolan.blogspot.com/
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    Water-packed tuna, drained
    Diced red onion
    Chopped cilantro
    Mayo or yogurt
    Squeeze of lemon juice
    Black pepper
  • Speedy5710
    Options
    I like to throw canned tuna in with my green salad, instead of boring chicken breast. Whatever your favorite leaf lettuce salad is with a homemade vinaigrette. Great source of protein and adds a different kick to your salad for lunch or supper. ;D
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    YOu can make a low cal version of the tuna melt. Use a sandwich thin instead of a slice of bread (only 50 cals). Use fat free mayo or skip it altogether. Top with a slice of low fat or fat free cheese and toast. So yummy. :love: I usually put minced onion and reduced fat mayo and top with a regular slice of cheese and it is still not bad for a sandwich (in cals)
  • Katiebug84
    Options
    Boil elbow noodles. Drain tuna and mix with mayo or plain yogurt, mustard, pickle relish, celery seed, chopped onion and pepper. When pasta is done drain water off and mix in tuna. Delicious tuna pasta.
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know you said no tuna casserole recipes, but I had to share this one!

Leftover Mac & Cheese (about 2-3 cups) OR 1 box Mac & Cheese made w/ skim milk
    1 or 2 cans low sodium light tuna, drained
    1 can low sodium cream of celery (do not add water)
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup shredded fat free cheese

Use leftover Mac & Cheese or use directions on box to make it. Then, mix all remaining ingredients together except for shredded cheese and put it on top. I use a 2 quart baking dish and stick it in the oven on 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Some simple stuff:

Tuna sandwich:
    Tuna - a little oil - a little lemon juice - celery salt or beaumond. Mix. Put betwixt bread. So tasty, no mayo!

Tuna and relish:
    Open a can, put relish on tuna. Eat. Something I can pop in my mouth, no matter how busy I am.

Protein pancakes:
    Mix pancakes as you would normally. Dump in a can of tuna. It tastes better than it sounds, honest. Well, Lostsunset would disagree, but I think it's swell.