Canned tuna recipes?

Options

Replies

• CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch I made myself some buffalo tuna.

1 can of tuna (drained)
    2 tbsp Ken's Buffalo Marinade/Sauce
    1 tbsp Wishbone Fat Free Bleu Cheese Dressing
    50 grams celery, finely chopped

Nutrition:
    Calories: 172
    Fat: 5
    Sodium: 1,720 (high, I know)
    Carbs: 6
    Fiber: 1
    Protein: 27

I mixed it all together and ate it with an Arnolds whole wheat sandwich thin. You could also do it as a wrap, put it over salad, or just eat it by itself.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    It cost more, but I always buy the tuna canned in its own oils. No water and no olive oil. Then you don't need to drain and the flavor is better in my opinion.:smile:
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    See, and I am the opposite. I didn't even know people ate it right out of the can..lol. I always cook it somehow before eating it
  • SaraMoore88
    SaraMoore88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Put it in a pan with a little oil and fry it up with some low sodium soy sauce. Take that mixture and dump it over a piece of whole grain bread with a slice of cheese on it. It might sound weird, but it is SO yummy.
  • mcramer1
    mcramer1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some really good ideas you guys have posted I am going to try!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Buffalo tuna wow loving that idea! thanks for sharing!
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bartlettcmb
    Options
    I mix mine with diced carrots, cucumbers, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Sometimes I put a hardboiled egg in it too. It's really good! Especially with a brown rice tortilla that's been toasted either in a toaster oven or regular oven. :)

Thanks for this I can't wait to try it! I haven't eaten any tuna as I only have made it with mayo
  • Brucifer55
    Options
    Use the lid to squeeze the juice into your stock pot (never throw anything away), turn the can upside down a plop the tuna onto a plate. Cover with fresh basil, tarragon, pick-your-herbs-here, a small squirt of your favorite chile sauce or plain mustard. Cover all that with a piece of provolone cheese and nuke it until the cheese melts. Slide a soft poached egg over that and eat with some garlic triscuits.
  • Purrpants
    Options
    This might sound weird, but it has become a staple with my fiancee and me:

5 oz tuna
    2 tbsp House of Tsang's Spicy Szechuan Stir-Fry Sauce
    Garlic powder, basil, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds to taste.

This makes two servings for a regular 5 oz can of tuna, about 95 calories per serving.
  • naturallyrandom
    naturallyrandom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found these really old posts while up late night wondering what I'll have for lunch tomorrow. hmmm. StarKist low sodium cans of tuna have been sitting in my pantry...guess I'll whip up something after work tomorrow.
  • sandra_13
    Options
    If you like Pico de Gallo and Avocados then you might like this.

Mix one can of light tuna with some finely chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. After you've added the Pico de Gallo add some diced avocado and lime juice. The measurements really depend on how much veggies you want.

It's super simple but so yummy.
  • jdsgigi
    jdsgigi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I usually make tuna omlettes. Nice for breakfast/lunch/dinner

2 eggs or 4 egg whites
    half can of tuna
    red onions/spring onions
    mushrooms

basically mixed the above together, pour in to a fry pan with a tsp of olive oil and fry like a normal omlette! Very nice and filling. Serve with salad and black pepper.

Enjoy!
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Bump. My cat loves when I open a can of tuna cuz she knows she's getting the juice.
  • Jackie80taylor
    Jackie80taylor Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i normally add some mint sauce (straight from jar) to the tuna and mix it in with some pasta.... or if i havent got time to make pasta, i just eat it straight from the tin :-)
  • CAlley1985
    CAlley1985 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To Whomever asked what is Deglazing....When your cooking all the good bits and flavor will form a "glaze" on the bottom of the pan...adding liquids helps to lift all this amazing flavor off the pan and and back into your food
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    One of my friends just posted this on her wall today. I haven't tried it but it sounds pretty good and very low cal/high protein.

1 can tuna
    1 egg
    Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning
    Crushed Red Pepper

Mix together and form into 2 patties. Cook each side with Pam.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ok this sounds weird, but it's soooooo good. This is how my family has been making tuna for years. I usually eyeball it, but just add as little or as much of the ingredients as you like. I mix in the mayo first until I get the right consistency, then the relish, and so fourth.

a couple cans of tuna, drained
    mayo ( I use hellmann's lowfat, only 15 calories/serving)
    sweet relish
    chopped yellow onion
    a hard boiled egg chopped (if you like, sometimes I add it, sometimes I don't)
    pineapple tidbits <
    this is what really gets people. Everyone who tries my tuna turns their noses up at the pineapple initially, until they try it, then they rave about how delicious it is.

I eat this on crackers, as a sandwich. My son just grabs a fork and eats it as is.