Salad Dressing intervention needed!

Options
HeatherShrinking
HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
Anyone know any decent tasting salad dressings that are lower in calories?

I just an entire bag of lettuce (60 calories for 8 cups according to the bag) with 3 tablespoons of Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Dressing. 3 tablespoons = 225 calories! This just seems nuts to me. The salad wasn't anywhere near soaking in dressing either. Help!

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Two things I do: Either pico de gallo...low calorie and low sodium.
    The other is using lime juice in a spray bottle and Mrs. Dash's seasonings. Quite a number of choices to change it up a lot. :)

The last one, I don't even log when I do it because virtually no cals or sodium. :)
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I stopped using salad dressing years ago! I add avocado, strawberries, tomatoes, corn, beans, cilantro, things like that. It doesn't need dressing! So moist and flavorful. IF I do dressing. I shake lemon juice and a bit of olive oil together.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If you like the dressing and want to keep it, you can decrease how much you use by having the dressing on the side....then for each bit you take, dip your fork in the side dressing then pick up the food with same fork. This technique reduces your dressing intake by 2/3. You'll get the flavor of the dressing in each bit but with much less dressing...hence less calories.

Hope this helps.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I just picked up some really yummy dressing yesterday. It's Marie's Yogurt Dressing. It has half the fat and cals of regular dressing and I thought it was just as good. I tried the blue cheese one and will definitely be trying the others. I was honestly a little skeptical because I'm not a big fan of lite dressings, but I loved it.
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I go a little nuts with ranch dressing, so I feel your pain!

I switched to fat free Italian dressing: 3 tablespoons = 23 calories.

Also, watch out for veinger-and-oil type dressings, which seem healthier at first, but really aren't. The vinegar's fine, but the oil is what kills your diet. 1 tablespoon of olive oil is 120 calories-- yikes. I started using a salt, sugar, water, vinegar mix on salads instead.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I use the wishbone spray dressing
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Renee's Gourmet - roasted red pepper. it's found in the refrigerated section.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    Make your own....balsamic vinegar & olive oil ... add in a twist of lemon & some Mrs Dash or Italian seasoning
  • Sden1231
    Sden1231 Posts: 61
    Options
    I like avocado and salsa on my salad
  • katevonr
    katevonr Posts: 27
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Newman's Own - Lighten Up! line of salad dressings. Most flavors are around 45 calories for 2Tb and they are very robust. My two favorites are the honey mustard and roasted garlic balsamic vinagerette.
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I recently found: "Follow Your Heart" brand low fat ranch dressing. Egg free, gluten free, no cholesterol, no preservatives. 25 cal/2 Tbsp (30 grams). It doesn't taste as good as regular ranch, of course, but it is much better than no dressing, and it is awesome calories!
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I am going to use a dressing, I like these combinations. Just be careful on the amount of EVOO you use!

Olive Oil and Lemon Juice
    Olive Oil and Pomegranate Vinegar
    Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar

If I want something creamy, or thicker, I like Ken's or Newman's low fat dressings. Wegman's also has some great ones!

If you love ranch dressing or dip, try getting the Hidden valley Ranch powder (dip) packs and mixing them with fat free sour cream or greek yogurt. I do this for parties and no one knows the difference. PLus, it tastes less processed than other ranch dips.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I stopped using salad dressing years ago! I add avocado, strawberries, tomatoes, corn, beans, cilantro, things like that. It doesn't need dressing! So moist and flavorful. IF I do dressing. I shake lemon juice and a bit of olive oil together.

Agreed....FLAVOR it up with yummy healthy stuff so you don't need the dressing :) I do sometimes use Ken's Steakhouse Lite Raspberry Pomegranate Dressing. Looking to create some of my own dressings with much less sugar than the ones out there :)
  • Kellidianne
    Kellidianne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you like the dressing and want to keep it, you can decrease how much you use by having the dressing on the side....then for each bit you take, dip your fork in the side dressing then pick up the food with same fork. This technique reduces your dressing intake by 2/3. You'll get the flavor of the dressing in each bit but with much less dressing...hence less calories.

Hope this helps.

I just did the same thing at lunch and it REALLY works!
  • eilermbl
    eilermbl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like Kraft's Red Roasted Pepper Italian Dressing with Parmesean.. 2 tablespoons=1 serving=40 calories!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    I only use hidden valley light ranch and light honey mustard and do the serving size which is 2 tbs and it works out great for me.....!!!!!
  • christinaprice
    Options
    I love Caesar and Italian dressing.. Of course, the caloric content is awful!! I tried the Ken's Lite Caesar and love it!!
  • marklb127
    marklb127 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try maple grove farms of vermont, Fat Free Balsamic. Good and low cal.
  • daliberti
    daliberti Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been using Litehouse Organic Raspberry Lime Viniagrette dressing. It has 40 calories for 2 tablespoons, 2.5g fat, 60mg sodium, and 5 carbs. It's VERY tasty and a lot of times I"ll only use 1 tablespoon to save on calories if I need to.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    It depends on the salad. I do like the lite vinaigarettes out there. I really just like vinegar and just get that if I get a subway salad - or even on my sub. I will do some lemon juice and maybe salt/pepper but not always. Salsa is my friend - especially if its the fresh made kind. I could just throw some salsa on lettuce and be fine.