Salad Dressing intervention needed!

Options

Replies

• happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    20 CAL for 2 TBSP
    Bragg Hawaiian dressing (available at whole foods, maybe health food stores)
    Whole Foods balsamic vinaigrette

I like eating a lot of vegetables plain but i TOTALLY AGREE that a salad should have some dressing on it. I think it's the plain lettuce (in my case mixed greens/spinach) that can get a little boring to eat alone. I also pile on a ton of other (low cal - not avocado or fruit like someone else recommended) veggies to give it flavor. works when i'm in a pinch on calories.
  • HoneymoonSlimDown
    Options
    Try maple grove farms of vermont, Fat Free Balsamic. Good and low cal.

I just started using this and I like it so far. It has way less sodium than some of the other fat free dressings I have used in the past!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Newman's Own - Lighten Up! line of salad dressings. Most flavors are around 45 calories for 2Tb and they are very robust. My two favorites are the honey mustard and roasted garlic balsamic vinagerette.

This. Except that all I could find was the regular vinagerette and it had 90 cal. in 2 tablespoons. Still not terrible.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I just use balsamic vinegar - no oil.

Salad dressings are evil! The regular ones are loaded with fat and calories and the light and fat free ones are (usually) loaded with sugar and "odd" ingredients.
  • Misstivy
    Misstivy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump........I've got to try this, thanks:happy:
  • Misstivy
    Misstivy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here.
    I actually make a dressing that has 0 cal., fat, etc.
    3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
    1-2 tsp Water
    granulated Stevia to taste (it is a natural 0 cal sweetner I use Truvia brand)
    & whatever seasonings you like (onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, basil, paprika... whatever you like)

I love over mix of spinach, onion, bell peppers, celery, small amount of almond slices & craisins.. Total cals about 150-160.
    Sometimes I will use partial lettuce with spinach or add chicken pieces or lean beef steak.
    I keep it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks but it would probably keep longer.

Also... I add vinegar/apple cider vinegar/lemon juice to Lite Italian dressings.
    It goes further with less fat & cals.... AND then I have one Sweet dressing & one not sweet... To satisfy today's taste buds.
    :tongue:
    ( Yum O) :happy:
  • amenadenine
    amenadenine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do any type of oil and vinegar based light Italian dressing. I usually get one with some sort of cheese. I find they run between 40-70calories for 2 tbs.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love Marzetti's Light Honey Dijon but I make it even lighter by adding more whole grain mustard and watering it down some. I don't like thick dressing and my thinner version seems to ensure I get a taste of it with every bite of the greens.
  • MelinaS79
    MelinaS79 Posts: 12
    Options
    I dunno.. I actually save calories and splurge on the real thing. I haven't found a light or a fat-free dressing I've EVER enjoyed. EVER. It all tastes like plastic to me. If I'm having a southwestern salad, though... lime juice and avocados is all I need. YUM!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    why not make your own!.
    1 part Balsamic vinegar
    1 part extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 clove minced garlic-fine mince
    shake of oregano
    shake of basil.
    Stir as you pour it on. Extra tasty and low in Calories. What more could You want.
    I use this on my salad all the time. Mega Yummy!
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    there are two I swear by, Ken's steakhouse rasberry walnut vinegarette or light sweet vadalia onion, both under 125 cal for two tablespoons, and the vinegarette goes a long way
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I like the good seasons mix and make it myself, but add a little more water to it. I measure the dressing, pour it over the salad, then cover it and shake it. It seems to coat the salad better. You have to remember that some fat is okay, esp if it is EVOO or Canola oil. 1 Tablespoon of the dressing does cover a lot when you cover the salad and shake it. Good luck.
  • vdickens
    vdickens Posts: 11
    Options
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000264140

Dijon-Lemon vinaigrette. Delicious, easy to make and only 25 calories/ tbs.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,682 Member
    Options
    Two words: Bolthouse Farms
    http://bolthouse.com/our-products/dressings

I just had a spinach salad with their Classic Ranch dressing on it. Delish, and it's only 35 calories per tablespoon. They have lots of other good ones too, but that's been my go-to flavor the last few weeks. I may buy a different one when this bottle is empty. The Caesar Parmigiano is another really good one.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Marie's Raspberry Vinaigrette (my absolutely fav):

Calories 50 (serving size is 2Tbs)
    Total Fat 3g (0 Saturated Fat, 0 Trans Fat)
    Sodium 100mg
    Total Carb 7g
    Fiber 0
    Suger 6g
    Protein 0g
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    Try hummus. I really like that instead of dressing on my salad
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Vinaigrettes are my favorite... love the flavor and they are normally low calorie. My favorite salad dressing EVER is Seeds of Change's Greek Feta Vinaigrette... it's an organic brand you can find at Publix. 60 cals per serving. Also check out Kraft's Olive Oil based dressings... my favorite is their Greek Vinaigrette... also 60 calories per serving I believe. They make a Parmesan Asiago Basalmic Vinaigrette that's good too.
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    Try hummus. I really like that instead of dressing on my salad

mmm i didnt think of that

I usually make up my own olive oil and balsamic with parsley and basil... or olive oil and lemon... a small amount of Dijon always adds great flavour.

I tend to struggle to make my calorie intake,and because I eat so much salad,i like to add good fats such as olive oil, avocado, a little Parmesan etc to increase my intake and also just simply to enjoy the food a little more.
  • bailykaren
    Options
    its a bit odd but I love a low calorie tomato pasta sauce on my salad! you get loads of it for very little calories!
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My fav is the Maplegrove Farms Ginger Sesame Vinaigrette - 45 calories for 2 tbls - a little higher in sodium than others but that hasn't bothered me. It is so yummy!