Options

Replies

• kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Kraft - Honey Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing - 2 TBSP - 90 calories
  • sparrow747
    Options
    When I was an undergrad, my host mother in France taught me how to make a French vinaigrette and I've used it ever since:

For one serving:

1 tsp. dijon mustard (any brand, but Trader Joe's sells an authentic tasting, SPICY dijon!)
    2-3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (I prefer the most expensive - haha its $5 tops - that Trader Joe's sells, it's nice and sweet)
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    minced garlic or shallots to taste
    dash pepper, rosemary, thyme

I've never even calculated this calorie wise, but it's so tasty and fresh with any salad -- beware can really clear your sinuses out too!
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I like avocado and salsa on my salad

Sounds BOMB! I'm gonna do salsa next time! :)
  • minicakeumz
    Options
    I use Lucerne chive cottage cheese (90 cals for half a cup) or sometimes I use the balsamic vinagrette dressing in spray form which is 1 calorie for each spray.
  • rosieg0402
    Options
    lemon & pepper seasoning OR Canadian Steak seasoning with LEMON!
  • justnname
    justnname Posts: 162
    Options
    I don't like most of the "light salad dressing" but I found Bolthouse Farms Classic Balsamic Vinaigrette is one of the better ones

its only 15 calories and 3 sugars.
  • mariasfitness
    Options
    Kraft Salad Dressing - Light Balsamic Vinaigrette is delishious and 2tbs is 25 calories.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Bernstein's - Light Fantastic Parmesan Garlic Ranch, 2 tbsp -- 50 Calories

I throw my salad in a large bowl, then dress it. Mix it up real good in the bowl. Covers it better and allows for more flavor and less dressing.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I buy the low fat Ranch salad dressing that's about 80 calories for two tablespoons. I usually pour the dressing into a small bowl, and dip my fork into it, and then dip my fork into my salad. I don't eat salads that much these days, but I know that dressings can mess up a diet plan.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for healthy dressing recipes. You'll find so many awesome recipes. And homemade dressing is Sooooouch yummier and way easier than you'd think!
  • SwissMaedel
    Options
    I mostly use red wine vinegar & extra virgin olive oil, and a few spices.

Another fun thing: Go to walmart & pick up this cool little bottle that has V, O, W on it, and fill it up with red wine vinegar, e.v. olive oil, and water to the lines and then add the packet & voila - good salad dressing that is not too fattening.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kraft-Italian-All-Natural-Salad-Dressing-Recipe-Mix-Cruet-Kit-Good-Seasons/10313211
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of creamier dressings so it's tough to find light versions that are good but these two are fabulous!

both by Ken's Steakhouse
    Honey Dijon fat free - 60 calories in one of those 1.5 oz packets they give out at salad bars
    Light Ceasar - 90 calories in 2 Tbsp serving
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone! Thanks for so many responses, so quickly too! MFP-er's really rock!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love blue cheese dressing, but it's so thick that it takes a lot on a large salad. I thin 1 tablespoon dressing with a bit of milk, shake to blend, and pour. Then, a little goes a long ways
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Oil and vinegar! YUM!
  • xtal614
    xtal614 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love vinegary dressings. To cut back on calories I started using Cider vinegar on my salads instead of dressing. And I actually like it better!
  • MotherofDREAMS
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here.
    I actually make a dressing that has 0 cal., fat, etc.
    3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
    1-2 tsp Water
    granulated Stevia to taste (it is a natural 0 cal sweetner I use Truvia brand)
    & whatever seasonings you like (onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, basil, paprika... whatever you like)

I love over mix of spinach, onion, bell peppers, celery, small amount of almond slices & craisins.. Total cals about 150-160.
    Sometimes I will use partial lettuce with spinach or add chicken pieces or lean beef steak.
    I keep it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks but it would probably keep longer.

Also... I add vinegar/apple cider vinegar/lemon juice to Lite Italian dressings.
    It goes further with less fat & cals.... AND then I have one Sweet dressing & one not sweet... To satisfy today's taste buds.
    :tongue:
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If you like honey mustard - I mix Hellmans Olive Oil Mayo (2 tbsp), yellow mustard (2 tsp), vinegar (app. 2 tbsp.), and splenda (2 or 3 packets). Add more vinegar for a thinner consistency and it goes further. Yummy! About 100 calories and 10 g fat.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love salsa in my salad, too! But I really load up my salads in general. My standard lunchtime salad has:

Spinach
    Cucumbers
    Kalamata olives
    Black beans
    Broccoli
    Salsa
    Chicken and/or Shrimp

Sounds like a ton, but it has lots of nutrients, fiber, protein, and good fat. It has tons of flavor! And when I have it, I usually am not hungry again until quite late in the day.
  • kristenanna
    kristenanna Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love lime juice and a pinch of garlic mixed with a LITTLE light spreadable cream cheese, it goes a looong way and still give you the creamy flavour of other high cal dressings. Guess could add it to any of the 'light and free" dressings.