Just Starting, and family already annoyed.

Options
13»

Replies

• shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I think it would be better if you had someone to do it with you like an exercise buddy etc! Me and my sister joined MFP and we tell each other how many calories we ate, if we had too much protein, how much exercise we have done today! We dont really tell anyone else in the family! I find it quite motivating not to tell the whole family because when (hopefully) i loose a lot of weight they can turn around and say "Wow...how did you do that!"

Good Luck!!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    @Loganaw - Ha! Try eating "cauli-rice" with your evening meal at family get-togethers. They look at you like you are from another planet!

[cauli-rice is pan fried grated cauliflower - looks like rice but most definitely doesn't taste like it! Low GI Dieters will know this already, of course :happy: ]
    [/quote

I just tried the cauli-rice, and it's not bad. But you're right -- people do look at you like you have two heads!

Wonder what they'd do if you ate the cauliflower pizza crust in front of them?
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My family/friends were annoyed at first too.... That was 2 years ago. Screw them. Take care of yourself.

Second this!

Third!

Totally screw them and take care of yourself. Try not to complain about what you've not done and talk about what you have done. Also, were here! You can come to MFP to chat about your daily issues! :)
  • Mynewyearsvow
    Mynewyearsvow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will say that my husband rocks. And you all rock. Thanks for the understanding.I'll I think I give him the same look when he talks about about cars and stuff. I think I will try to keep the majority of the talk about calories on here, and he'll get the benefits of a hotter me.:-)
  • fordprefect78
    fordprefect78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My coworker is a big calorie counter and at first i was pretty annoyed. she has lost quite a bit of weight recently and eventually i started to notice my own calorie intake and was pretty surprised. Then i got this app and started to track and was blown away how much i was eating. its been a few weeks now and I love this app. I do try to keep it to myself but it's hard to not talk about it. I just remember how annoyed I was at first, lol.
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    Get other dieting buddies! Let it out on these forums! Your husband should appreciate what you're doing, but he probably won't until he see's some results. Husband's are like that!

I know I said earlier I was looking for senior posts, but I identify with your predicament. I've been there!

And, by the way, if you have kids, you may want to hide your 'special' food. They will eat the strangest things, especially if the think it's forbidden. Be careful what you call it because it can back fire on you. You may want to serve it at a meal one day (for example broccoli), and if you've called it 'diet food' they won't eat it. I know, it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but if you've raised children, you know what I mean. They'll eat your food if you don't want them too, but if you want them to eat it, they won't. Go figure!
  • SusieB01
    Options
    And, what abou:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: t pulling out your phone in the lunchroom to log the calories??? We don't have to talk about it to be annoying!
  • SusieB01
    Options
    And, what about pulling out your phone in the lunchroom to log the calories??? We don't have to talk about it to be annoying! :happy:
  • chylom
    chylom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband has been supportive but there has been a little teasing. eg I went to get a tattoo the other day and my husband told me to make sure and ask " how many ink calories id be taking in " hahah funny guy.
  • CCRynlds11
    CCRynlds11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My family thinks I am crazy too, maybe a 'little' obsessed with counting calories. But I know this is what's good for me, it is the ONLY way I will stay on task. So keep it up, you will benefit in the end....oh, they love when I bring my scale and/or measuring cup to the table! If I can only get obsessed about exercise! :wink:
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing it together and have both lost almost the same amount of weight - I do feel like we are obsessed though and wonder what on earth we'll talk about once we've hit our targets. He will get there first (as unfortunately I have a lot more to lose :grumble: ), so he may then want to talk about something else, but for now we're happy calorie-obsessed losers!!
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @Loganaw - Ha! Try eating "cauli-rice" with your evening meal at family get-togethers. They look at you like you are from another planet!

[cauli-rice is pan fried grated cauliflower - looks like rice but most definitely doesn't taste like it! Low GI Dieters will know this already, of course :happy: ]
    [/quote

I just tried the cauli-rice, and it's not bad. But you're right -- people do look at you like you have two heads!

Wonder what they'd do if you ate the cauliflower pizza crust in front of them?

Cauliflower pizza crust is unfortunately beyond what my taste buds could ever hope to endure!!!
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just come on MFP and tell us all about it!! lol

AGREED! we're all here to listen and give feedback... ;) he's just jealous he's not on top of it like you are =) hehe

So totally agree here.... I adore having my "MFP family" for a place to turn when I need to ramble about the little details.

My family... it's a mixed bag. My sweetheart and my mother are more or less infinitely patient on the subject (and trust me, I am a high-functioning autistic - I get VERY obsessed!!! lol...) but my sister not so much... she has a close friend who has struggles with an eating disorder and while I feel for both of them it drives me wacko that my sis can't see the difference between trying to be healthier and unhealthy obsession with losing weight.