NSV ...weird comments about your weightloss ...embarrasing

Options
13»

Replies

• kristarablue
    Options
    OMG, I just posted something on my wall yesterday about this (so my MFP friends have already seen this)....Here is the story:

I was at work yesterday and a woman came up to me and said "Oh my gosh, you have lost weight, look at you, you are actually pretty" I said to her "I wasn't before" just to be cantankerous and she said again "no, really your face it is slimed out, you are actually pretty" Really??? I tried to let her dig herself out, but there was no digging, none, not even a little bit.

I know she did not mean to offend, and she does have a good heart, but what an awful thing to say....and I was mortified as it was in front of others.

Another time, one of my best friends took my license and said, "oh my gosh, isn't this the fattest face you have ever seen" Wow, you look different....

Moral to the story... I must have lost a lot of weight in the face.
  • zydratethief
    Options
    I was at work yesterday and a woman came up to me and said "Oh my gosh, you have lost weight, look at you, you are actually pretty" I said to her "I wasn't before" just to be cantankerous and she said again "no, really your face it is slimed out, you are actually pretty" Really??? I tried to let her dig herself out, but there was no digging, none, not even a little bit.

Another time, one of my best friends took my license and said, "oh my gosh, isn't this the fattest face you have ever seen" Wow, you look different....

You should have said to both of em "Well its a good thing you've got a bit of personality, otherwise you'd be extremely boring..." works like a charm...
  • dexter62
    dexter62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yea it happened to me the other day, the district manager of the company i work for came by, ( he only comes by every three months or so ) asked me if i had cancer or aids or something since i had lost some weight, i just chaulk it up to crude people.
  • Sden1231
    Sden1231 Posts: 61
    Options
    I've said , "it's been awhile since I've seen you, it looks like you need to go for a run." he said, "yea ive gained some weight" then I said," some...more like a ton".....but I said it to my loser ex boyfriend who cheated on me with two of my good friends...so I felt he deserved it. Lol
  • kristarablue
    Options

You should have said to both of em "Well its a good thing you've got a bit of personality, otherwise you'd be extremely boring..." works like a charm...
    [/quote

LOL
  • keepitoff99
    keepitoff99 Posts: 117
    Options
    Just laugh it off. We may have had weight to lose, but those people are idiots and there is no diet to fix that. LOL

:laugh:
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Very entertaining thread! :smile: It's so true that negative comments, especially if they come from people you care about, seem to stick in your mind forever...A few years ago, I lost about 13-14 lb in a short space of time and reached what I now consider my 'perfect' weight or thereabouts. I was excited about visiting a good friend and going shopping for size 8 rather than size 10 jeans (UK size!)...and I'll never forget how, when I turned up, she greeted me thus in front of her family: "Hurray! You've actually got a waist!" :embarassed:

I know she meant it in a positive and encouraging way, but my first thought was, "So...all these years you've been saying I had a nice figure and didn't need to lose weight, and you were happily swapping clothes with me (we were similar sizes although different body types)...but in fact, all this time you thought I was a bit chubby???" Jeans shopping wasn't quite so much fun after that...even though she clearly meant well... :laugh: But as someone pointed out earlier - no-one likes to hear themselves being criticised, whether it is their current self or their former self!

At the end of the day though - when you get these kind of comments, you just have to remember: the commenters are either jealous, or they have simply put their foot in it because they haven't thought about how your comment would make you feel...Either way, it reflects on THEM and not on YOU! :devil:
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That should be 'their comment' in the last line :wink:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I know they sometimes think it's okay to talk about it like that just cause you no longer are overweight, but still, they need to have some tact.

My family all live in Reno while I'm in Oregon. I hadn't seen my brother or mom in a few years. My husband and kids went to visit, and when we got their we met up with my mom and dad and my brother and his wife at the buffet in Silver Legacy. Well, my brother had lost 80 pounds and I had lost 40. he's much taller than me, so we both had changed quite similarly. He was there first, and didn't recognize me walking up. It was so funny to catch the look on his face when he realized it was me. We were both shocked seeing each other. But it was so funny cause we would get up and take our strolls through the buffett, (both eating quite healthy for being at the buffet) but we would end up walking next to each other heading back to the table, as if we were strangers, then all of a sudden realize it was us, and we would just get that look, shaking our heads and going whoa! it was just so hard to believe lol. Had us laughing our whole visit down there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!