Replies

• GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these! I'm finally at my goal weight and really need to tighten up everything, including my arms.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes....I do only crunches because that is how you get a 6 pack. :grumble:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Personally I think there is a time and place for everything. Heavier weights and light weight. Compound movements and isolations.

Compound exercises are great because they are real world. Isolation moves for your arms are great because the average woman will probably see some noticeable results in a short time, and feel motivated and encouraged to continue.

I get bored. I am willing to try anything a few times just to mix it up.

The most important thing is to pick a weight that is heavy enough for you to feel challenged. If after around 10 reps it is still feeling really easy, you need something a little heaver.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • JersryGirl31
    Options
    I could use this. Thanks
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    All of you on the LIFT HEAVY band wagon - YES, we get you. We know that is the ideal. However, I think you are forgetting that there seem to be a lot of women on here who perhaps have never lifted weights AT ALL. You need to start slowly and work your way up. I've seen too many people try to start with VERY heavy weights, get injured and/or discouraged, and go back to doing NOTHING. I've been lifting for over 20 years, and yes, I started with cans of soup. I'm not ashamed of that, and I am happy to say that I have progressed over the years to heavier and heavier weights, but you have to start somewhere!!!

I understand this position, but disagree because-

Without attempting heavy lifting, you will never realise your true strength. Until your true strength is brought into focus, you will never be able to challenge yourself. Until you challenge yourself, you will never be able to better yourself. Or, in other words, don't expect results without doing the work.

The program listed by the op would be fine for a light cardio workout, but its not going to give you 'sleek sexy arms.' You need the correct diet, and lifting rouine for that.

The excersize program must be compatible with your goals, and the diet must be compatible with the excersize.
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    OK, so here's a question: I am doing about 30 minutes of cardio six times a week. I work my arms 3 times a week with what I have, which is free weights that weight about 3 pounds (because I am weak, have arthritis, and am just starting-- I will add plates as I stronger). I spend 15 minutes doing curls and lifts from many different positions, as well as arm rotations. Is this going to work for me, or is it all isolation work? I don't have a deadlift bar or kettle bells and I hate to spend more money on equipment right now. I will if that's the only way I can really maintain and build muscle and definition, but wondering if a well-rounded free weight routine can do what I want, ie., not merely 3 different isolation routines per the OP.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    OK, so here's a question: I am doing about 30 minutes of cardio six times a week. I work my arms 3 times a week with what I have, which is free weights that weight about 3 pounds (because I am weak, have arthritis, and am just starting-- I will add plates as I stronger). I spend 15 minutes doing curls and lifts from many different positions, as well as arm rotations. Is this going to work for me, or is it all isolation work? I don't have a deadlift bar or kettle bells and I hate to spend more money on equipment right now. I will if that's the only way I can really maintain and build muscle and definition, but wondering if a well-rounded free weight routine can do what I want, ie., not merely 3 different isolation routines per the OP.

You are in a perfect position for a body weight routine. People are heavy, so its almost like lifting heavy.

Squats, burpees, lunges, push ups, planks, pull ups, and running/walking/jogging. Simple and satisfying.
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    Bump - thanks
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save!
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

You are in a perfect position for a body weight routine. People are heavy, so its almost like lifting heavy.

Squats, burpees, lunges, push ups, planks, pull ups, and running/walking/jogging. Simple and satisfying.

Spot on. Just modify the exercises however you need to (push-ups from knees, using a chair to help you with the pull-up and slowly letting yourself down so you still get the effects on the descent).
  • dmouse0225
    dmouse0225 Posts: 104
    Options
    bump
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options

In the past, things like squats, lunges, and push ups have been painful on my joints. Free weights done while my legs are stationary are preferable.