Thank you!
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Terrible article.

Did they recycle this advice from 1983? There's no basis in research that there's any truth that these exercises will "tone your arms". Don't waste your time ladies.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's a standard set of exercises. You could get the same effect using somewhat heaver weights (8 to 10 pound dumbbells or higher, depending on your strength) and five sets of five reps, resting in between sets as needed.
  • joynova
    joynova Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Training arms doesn't have to be so complicated. First, your arms already get plenty of work from pressing exercises (bench press shoulder press) and pulling exercises (dumbell rows, cable rows) that they don't need tons of excess work. There was an article written two years ago in which a trainer worked with a lab that conducted EMF (believe that's the acronym) in which they measured the stress put on a particular muscle group by any given exercise. Believe it or not, the #1 exercise for engaging the bicep is not a curl of any kind, it's a palm's facing you Chin-Up. I was surprised myself. I'll see if I can dig it up tonight when I get home and I'll post it.

I personally don't do much direct arm work. Aside from my core upper body routine the includes bench press variations and various pulling exercises I do,

Biceps: For both days I take more time on the eccentric portion of the movement
    Upper Body Day 1: Preacher curls 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    Upper Body Day 2: Some curl movement 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps.

Triceps: I typically do this as an "extra" workout on a non-lifting day.
    A1. Cable Pushdowns with a straight-bar attachment: 4 sets of 20 reps. I take 2 to 3 seconds on the eccentric portion of the movement. By the 19th rep of the 2nd set my tri's are on fire and the 4th set is painful to finish.
    B1. 1-Arm Reverse Cable Pull-downs 3 sets of 12
  • Sunny_CA
    Sunny_CA Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • goldyd
    goldyd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump....Thanks for this :)
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Long2bslim
    Long2bslim Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JersryGirl31
    JersryGirl31 Posts: 167
    Options
    bump
  • jessw1823
    jessw1823 Posts: 24
    Options
    bump
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, the #1 exercise for engaging the bicep is not a curl of any kind, it's a palm's facing you Chin-Up.

The regular ole vanilla chin-up is one of the best exercises there is, period.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    From Women's Health Online - emailed article...

Score beautifully toned arms with this muscle-shaping upper-body workout - Jen Ator

Here's something you'll love to learn: Your shoulders and upper back tend to carry less fat than the rest of your body, so the right arm exercises can give this area a nearly instant makeover, says Ramona Braganza, a celebrity trainer who has worked with stars such as Anne Hathaway and Jessica Alba. Braganza's upper-body workout, below, hits every major muscle and will help stabilize your shoulder joints, improve your posture, and build that strong, toned look you're after.

Using five-to eight-pound weights, perform 15 to 20 reps of each exercise and go from one move to the next with little or no rest between. Do two or three sets three times a week.

Move 01
    Reverse Fly

Grab a pair of dumbbells and stand with your feet hip-width apart and your knees bent. Bend forward at the hips and let your arms hang straight down from your shoulders, palms facing. Raise both arms out to the sides as you squeeze your shoulder blades together. Return to start. That's one rep.

Move 02
    Biceps Curl

Hold a pair of dumbbells at your sides, palms facing forward, and keep your back straight and chest up. Without moving your upper arms, bend your elbows and curl the weights toward your shoulders. Slowly lower the weights back to the starting position, straightening your arms completely. That's one rep.

Move 03
    Dumbbell Cross Jab

Stand with your feet a bit wider than hip width and knees slightly bent. Hold the dumbbells at chest height with elbows bent and palms facing each other. Extend your left arm across your body until the weight is in line with your right shoulder. As you return to start, repeat with the right arm. That's one rep.

Move 04
    Lying Triceps Extension

Lie face-up on a bench and hold a pair of dumbbells above your head, arms straight and palms facing each other. Without moving your upper arms, bend your elbows to lower the dumbbells until they are at either side of your head. Pause, then lift the weights back to the starting position. That's one rep.

I do all of these except the dumbbell cross jab. It's silly and for me it's not intense enough.

Then I do a couple isometric tricep flexes too. I also throw in some other bicep and triceps stuff.
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bumping to read through later