Bump this one to the top *ahem*
  • marylynn04
    marylynn04 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

ps - some people dont have access to all the weights or machines or equipment for "compound moves" and at that point SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING...
    well this sets the women strength training movement back about a decade....

A compound movement can be done with bodyweight and nothing more. So I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Things like Push-Ups and Body Weight Squats are not even close replacements for the Bench Press and Barbell Squat in terms of Compound exercises.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Printed this out and gonna do this tonight!! Thanks!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

ps - some people dont have access to all the weights or machines or equipment for "compound moves" and at that point SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING...
    well this sets the women strength training movement back about a decade....

A compound movement can be done with bodyweight and nothing more. So I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Things like Push-Ups and Body Weight Squats are not even close replacements for the Bench Press and Barbell Squat in terms of Compound exercises.

Compared to isolations with way too little weight it is. Plus there's several variations of squats and push-ups that can add resistance. I know it's not as easy as the progressive loading of weights, but different exercises can add extra resistance.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The exercises described are excellent, but those weights (5-8) and reps (15-20) are not going to give your arms and shoulders the look you want. A heavier weight with fewer reps makes a huge difference.

Find a weight that you can only do 3 sets of 5-8 reps of per exercise. Start at 5 or 8 pounds if that weight is a challenge after the 6th rep. Otherwise, use a heavier weight and increase it when the exercises is too easy after 10 reps.

^^^This
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The exercises described are excellent, but those weights (5-8) and reps (15-20) are not going to give your arms and shoulders the look you want. A heavier weight with fewer reps makes a huge difference.

Find a weight that you can only do 3 sets of 5-8 reps of per exercise. Start at 5 or 8 pounds if that weight is a challenge after the 6th rep. Otherwise, use a heavier weight and increase it when the exercises is too easy after 10 reps.

I suppose it all depends on what look you want, but for those of us that work out at home and don't want to spend money on more and more weights, high reps are the way to go. And they will define your arms.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

I suppose it all depends on what look you want, but for those of us that work out at home and don't want to spend money on more and more weights, high reps are the way to go. And they will define your arms.

I workout at home. Only use dumbbells (plus do bodyweight exercises). Depending on budget, a person could buy heavier dumbbells as needed (what I do). Or, purchase an adjustable dumbbell set.
  • prowe80
    prowe80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump!!! Great info!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Bump =)
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the posts, so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but if you go to the Women's Health website, there is also a video that demonstrates each of these.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I cant wait to try this.
  • wnwilli05
    wnwilli05 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for this!~
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Lift heavy. That article is pandering to you and will give no results.

BS Yes it will give results.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I workout at home. Only use dumbbells (plus do bodyweight exercises). Depending on budget, a person could buy heavier dumbbells as needed (what I do). Or, purchase an adjustable dumbbell set.

Um, yeah of course you could. But some of don't want to spend more and more money on increasingly heavier dumbells or weight plates. And again, high reps with lower weights works. I don't need to be convinced of this. I've been doing it for years and my arms are not flabby at 50 yo and I have definition. A little more than I'd like actually, but I'll take it over flabbly.

I do also do some bodyweight exercises (modified pushups against a desk, no added weight, high reps)
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    BUMP