BUMP
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    BUMP!!!! Thank you so much for posting this! I am going to be a bridesmaid for my sister's wedding in October and I desperately want my arms to be smaller for my strapless dress I am going to be wearing!

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    I do all of these exercises - but I vary week to week on the weight. Sometimes I use the lower weight, high rep combo, other times I do like an above poster suggested and go as heavy as I still can using good form. Your body will adapt, so it helps to shake it up a little. While I agree that combination exercises are great, there is nothing wrong with these that I can see, especially if you are trying to target the bat-wings. ;) The point is to GET STARTED and give them a try. You'll know when you've worked those triceps, believe me.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump Diddy Bump Bump Bump!! Wahooo!! Arms!!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If you find it in a women's magazine and it's about strength training, it's usually a lie.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I sort of hate this type of pandering to women. Upper body means shoulders, chest and upper back. Doing free weight bench press, pull ups/pull downs, military presses, bicep and tricep work would do better than these isolative workouts.

doing a free weight barbell or dumbell already works the triceps along with the chest. reverse curl pull up or pull downs will work the back and biceps

Compound movements ladies. And "toning" is done in the kitchen. Muscle building is done in free weight room

Thank you and I agree. I've started reading men's fitness mags, there's absolutely no reason a woman can't train like a man! I'm not saying you won't get some benefit from these especially if you don't know where to start but there's so much more to it than just these 4 exercises inthe OP in order to build upper body.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I'm a bit slack on toning because I'm clueless as to what to do. I'll definitely give these a go.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Barbell Row
    Bench Press
    Dead Lift
    Overhead Press

Screw Isolations!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    well this sets the women strength training movement back about a decade....
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I sort of hate this type of pandering to women. Upper body means shoulders, chest and upper back. Doing free weight bench press, pull ups/pull downs, military presses, bicep and tricep work would do better than these isolative workouts.

doing a free weight barbell or dumbell already works the triceps along with the chest. reverse curl pull up or pull downs will work the back and biceps

Compound movements ladies. And "toning" is done in the kitchen. Muscle building is done in free weight room

Thank you and I agree. I've started reading men's fitness mags, there's absolutely no reason a woman can't train like a man! I'm not saying you won't get some benefit from these especially if you don't know where to start but there's so much more to it than just these 4 exercises inthe OP in order to build upper body.

Exactly! My fiancee lifts with me and all we do is compound lifts. I'm so proud when I see guys raising their eyes to her doing deadlifts and squats, while they are doing curls on a machine.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!! Thank you so much for posting this! I am going to be a bridesmaid for my sister's wedding in October and I desperately want my arms to be smaller for my strapless dress I am going to be wearing!

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Won't work. Diet is what is going to do that.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the exercises, and obviously it's better than nothing but IMO you'd be better off with less reps and a heavier weight. Heavy is relative to the individual, and doesn't mean more than you can handle. It's about good form, and pushing yourself still. If that means starting off on 5-8lbs then so be it, but 15-20 reps is a little excessive, and when combined with very little rest just seems like cardio with a little added resistance.

There's no reason for a woman to train any differently to a man, we're all the same except men are made with more testosterone so can naturally handle more weight, and gain more muscle mass. The rep range needn't be any different. This is why I'm not all that keen on the fitness "advice" given from women's mags.

Also, while I do do isolation exercises (they have their place), I strongly feel that compound movements are superior in all aspects :D
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Aw.. that's a cute little 'lifting program'.

Anyway, for the women who want sleek sexy arms;
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    OH press
    Pull ups

rosie-chee_training-deadlift.jpg

Lift real weights, get real results.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If you really want to tone, there's nothing better than...

344632_o.gif
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    <
    These arms haven't done a bicep curl in like eight months.

Compound lifts with heavy weights, thankyouverymuch.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Exactly! My fiancee lifts with me and all we do is compound lifts. I'm so proud when I see guys raising their eyes to her doing deadlifts and squats, while they are doing curls on a machine.

That's a keeper!