No eating Fruit to help lose those pounds!!!

Options
Hiya people,

Here is a tip from my nutritionist:

Don't eat fruit! I thought he was just being weird and stupid, however he is making sense and I have seen the proof. I have lost a significant amount of weight on top of what I was previously, because of this. I would estimate an extra pound a week. It is hard to say for definite, but I would be confident it's a pound or damn close to it.

The logic is that fruit contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and sugar. This sugar makes the body produce insulin. However if you’re eating vegetables instead you are still getting the vitamins (things like peppers which have far more Vit-C than oranges) but without the sugars.

This has seriously helped me keep way below my carb intake for the day as well as hit all my vitamins and minerals including proteins etc etc.

Hope this helps people as much as it has me.

Michael

Replies

• ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I can go without fruit. I have problems getting my veggies in. But I find this very interesting...
  • tcsteeves
    tcsteeves Posts: 59
    Options
    I've always heard you can't go wrong with fruits. I guess this is something for me to think about. Thanks
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I love fruit and berries :(
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks!!! I can't imagine asking someone who is consuming more fruit in order to curb those "bad sugar" cravings to stop....
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Fruit in moderation is fine.

You cant cut everything out of your diet otherwise you wont stick with it.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    I find this hard to take in......but whatever works for you..go for it. Whole foods of any kind I think are great for you like anything else in proportion.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    I kind of inadvertently did this early on in my weight loss. I just stayed away from fruits to keep my carbs down...and I lost more weight without fruits, but *kitten* soon as I started eating more fruit, the weight loss definitely slowed. I tend to agree with this!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks!!! I can't imagine asking someone who is consuming more fruit in order to curb those "bad sugar" cravings to stop....

I wouldn't have lost a lb if i'd not been able to eat fruit when needing snacks.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Gotta throw the "all things in moderation" flag here. I have a couple of servings of fruit every day and I think my ticker speaks for itself.
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's worth experimenting! Thanks for the tip. More veggies less fruit....my mantra for the week!
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    I eat the fruits with less sugar in moderation, such as strawberries, blueberries, plums. Tomatoes and avocados are fruit, so of course you can eat those as well. Bananas are extremely high in sugar, so I don't eat them at all.
  • EllyK09
    EllyK09 Posts: 75
    Options
    I hardly ever go over mpf's recommended carb amount but I am trying to cut back on carbs anyway. How many grams does your nutritionist suggest for you daily?
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What are your "nutritionist's" qualifications?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I would really miss my Fuji apples......
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I kind of inadvertently did this early on in my weight loss. I just stayed away from fruits to keep my carbs down...and I lost more weight without fruits, but *kitten* soon as I started eating more fruit, the weight loss definitely slowed. I tend to agree with this!

Ok, here goes my experimenting for the week..... Glad to know there is some confirmation on this theory!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The idea is that insulin controls everything, which is why some people suggest pairing fruit with some kind of fiber. Fruit is my snack, so I don't know if I could go without it. :P
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I have limited my fruit to maybe 1 in the morning and just 1/2 cup of blueberries. It's actually a great antioxidant so I'm thinking it aided me in my weight loss so far. It's really easy to go overboard with fruit and nuts so I tend to limit as much as possible.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Southbeach Diet says to avoid fruits , too. But only for the 1st 2 weeks.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Funny you posted this I was just saying how I went over my sugar count yesterday because of all the fruit I ate. Someone told me to eat a piece of fruit with every meal and I was wondering how I was going to do that if it keeps pushing me over my sugar for the day. I think I understand your concept and may have to give it a try.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hiya people,

Here is a tip from my nutritionist:

Don't eat fruit! I thought he was just being weird and stupid, however he is making sense and I have seen the proof. I have lost a significant amount of weight on top of what I was previously, because of this. I would estimate an extra pound a week. It is hard to say for definite, but I would be confident it's a pound or damn close to it.

The logic is that fruit contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and sugar. This sugar makes the body produce insulin. However if you’re eating vegetables instead you are still getting the vitamins (things like peppers which have far more Vit-C than oranges) but without the sugars.

This has seriously helped me keep way below my carb intake for the day as well as hit all my vitamins and minerals including proteins etc etc.

Hope this helps people as much as it has me.

Michael

I can see the logic of it in that it reduces carbs.

But I can also see the problems in it. One, you're going to miss out on many micronutrients. Two, if you have any desire for something sweet, fruit is a better way to scratch that itch than most other options.

I'm sort of middle of the road on this one. There are some great carb bargains in the fruit department because of the amount of fiber and antioxidants in them as long as you manage the quanitites. Raspberrries, blackberries, etc.

I was never a huge fruit eater, but I get the berries in several times a week, a cup at a time in a protein powder smoothie.

The overwheliming majority of Americans are getting too much sugar from their processed food intake--not from an overabundance of fruit. But sometimes people seeking weight loss do decide not to count fruits or vegetables at all, especially if they ever used Weight Watchers, which is counter-productive.