No eating Fruit to help lose those pounds!!!

Options

Replies

• rikkitikki
    rikkitikki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been using fruit to get my sweet fix. I love to bake, so having some grapes or strawberries nearby helps me get over the urge to taste after every stir.
  • iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    so im missing the point of not eating fruit.. how does one carve the sweet cravings.. i usually do it with fruit. less calories..
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hiya people,

Here is a tip from my nutritionist:

Don't eat fruit! I thought he was just being weird and stupid, however he is making sense and I have seen the proof. I have lost a significant amount of weight on top of what I was previously, because of this. I would estimate an extra pound a week. It is hard to say for definite, but I would be confident it's a pound or damn close to it.

The logic is that fruit contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and sugar. This sugar makes the body produce insulin. However if you’re eating vegetables instead you are still getting the vitamins (things like peppers which have far more Vit-C than oranges) but without the sugars.

This has seriously helped me keep way below my carb intake for the day as well as hit all my vitamins and minerals including proteins etc etc.

Hope this helps people as much as it has me.

Michael

I can see the logic of it in that it reduces carbs.

But I can also see the problems in it. One, you're going to miss out on many micronutrients. Two, if you have any desire for something sweet, fruit is a better way to scratch that itch than most other options.

I'm sort of middle of the road on this one. There are some great carb bargains in the fruit department because of the amount of fiber and antioxidants in them as long as you manage the quanitites. Raspberrries, blackberries, etc.

I was never a huge fruit eater, but I get the berries in several times a week, a cup at a time in a protein powder smoothie.

Agreed... fruits are healthy. Maybe cut out cookies or donuts instead, but keep the fruit. And...Nutritionists...DO NOT NEED degrees! Talk to a registered dietitian....they have to have degrees, and continuing eduction. Anyone can say they are a nutritionist. I'm a nutritionist, you're a nutritionist....I never believe anything they say.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I can see the sense in it - it's basically saying, when you pick between two nearly identical things, take the one with less sugar - but I think, for most people, it's not a choice between fruit and veggies, it's more between fruit and sweets.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've been eating tons of fruit this week in an effort to be GOOD! I'm replacing prepackaged/bad for me stuff with fruit. Maybe the next step up the ladder is to replace some of the fruit with veggies.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    People, listen.

Sugar is not inherently bad.

It's okay to go over the sugar quota that MFP imposes on you by default, particularly if you are an active person. The important thing is to not "spike" your insulin level by eating a ton of sugar at once and nothing else. If you eat a piece of fruit between meals, with meals, before a workout, or after a workout, you'll only be better off for it, NOT worse off.

I question your "nutritionist's" logic and incidentally their qualifications.
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm not to that point in my lifestyle, and honestly I doubt I ever will be. For me the decision wouldn't be deciding between a banana and celery, it'd probably be between a banana and a donut. :P
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    what about low GI fruits???

http://www.weightlossforall.com/glyemic-list-fruits-vegs.htm

i find this topic absurd.

vegtables can "spike insulin levels" also...who is your nutritionist??
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Theres a big difference between table sugar and the sugar you get from fruit.

Check out this link
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/751591.html
  • Haddenbauer
    Options
    I thought it was impossible, however I just added a peper to my meals (I like peppers) a few dark greens and some spinach instead. Add them into a sandwhich or on the side of your plate. It just needs a re-think.

He said if you must have fruit Oranges are just about ok as they have decent fibre, and a one off banana as it's slow releasing energy. Anything else is forbidden.

Trust me look at your carb-sugar level drom dramatically. You'll see the benefits I promise. I must say however that I am and have still beeen on a calorie controlled diet, I just coudn't keep that sugar intake down. He said this would kick my fat burning into hyper drive (as long as everything else was good) and he was right. It really helps REDUCE (not eliminate, you don't want that) your carb values and therefore your weight.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    My nutritionist told me to eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day. Fruit are necessary, as they have extra vitamins and minerals (including Potassium, like bananas), plus they have essential carbs especially needed by runners. Eating fruit will actually help lose weight and do it in a healthy manner. Fruit juice is not the best choice, as you throw away all the fiber you could be eating, but fruit is necessary.

I am also not sure why your nutritionist didn't say anything about berries. They are extremely high in antioxidants, and they're also the lowest in sugar of all the fruit.

I am always under my carbs and sugars. I lost 90 lbs in 9 months while eating fruit. Lots of it.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I could never go without fruit. I consume at least one piece of fruit a day now. If it's still in your calorie range then I think it's fine.

Too many benefits from fruit to cut out of a diet.

Moro Blood Orange season is coming to an end so I need my fix until next season . :)
  • Haddenbauer
    Options
    I saw them when signing up 3 weeks ago, but don't remember the exact details. He's my PT as well. I pay extra because he is a qualified nutritionist and sports nutritionist.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    People, listen.

Sugar is not inherently bad.

It's okay to go over the sugar quota that MFP imposes on you by default, particularly if you are an active person. The important thing is to not "spike" your insulin level by eating a ton of sugar at once and nothing else. If you eat a piece of fruit between meals, with meals, before a workout, or after a workout, you'll only be better off for it, NOT worse off.

I question your "nutritionist's" logic and incidentally their qualifications.

spot on! no nutritionist should ever tell a person to not eat healthy foods, they clearly do not base their work off of evidence based information. find a new one
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I think fruit is a great choice if you want a sweet snack.

if its not about satisfying a sweet craving, then vegetables are probably a better choice, but theres nothing wrong with eating fruit.
    Youll lose weight if youre under or at your daily calories on here, whatever the actual foods are, and fruits are full of vitamins, minerals, fibre and complex carbs. I wouldnt take any "nutritionist" seriously who told me to avoid something so healthy.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options

spot on! no nutritionist should ever tell a person to not eat healthy foods, they clearly do not base their work off of evidence based information. find a new one

Thanks for posting what I didn't have the guts to. :flowerforyou:
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp of eating a balanced diet is the best way to go. Fruits are so important with their fiber and vitamins and antioxidants. Fruits and veggies are just part of a balanced diet, along with protein and some grains. If we all ate in a more balanced way, I feel that is the healthiest and it's what I strive for. I don't believe in eliminating any one food group.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I saw them when signing up 3 weeks ago, but don't remember the exact details. He's my PT as well. I pay extra because he is a qualified nutritionist and sports nutritionist.

I would question this.......he clearly is not as qualified as he says he is,

all i can say is that if you are comfortable with the information he is giving you and you are happy with your results then no one should deter you from your journey, BUT keep in mind that there are people, lots of people, who prey on the poor souls of the overweight to make a dollar. every fad diet or pill and most books, and yes even "certified nutritionists" take advantage of us. the weightloss industry is a 70 billion dollar industry and growing, the information is out there for us, you just have to dig deep.

i wish you luck and hope you do great, I also hope you do not spend too much money getting proper information that should be shared freely.
  • Haddenbauer
    Options
    The thing is the gov recommends 5-8 fruit and veg. Most people stock up on fruit. they taste nicer. However certain veg does the same job with much less carbs and much reduced levels of sugar. I know sugar can be good for you and fruit has other benefits. However think about it... your hungry you will tend to go for an orange over a pepper. But why apart from the taste?

Fruit over bad sugars defo, but most people will have their 5-a-day with fruit. That is the issue. The point is just to kick start an over-burn in fat burn.
  • malias
    malias Posts: 82
    Options
    Gotta throw the "all things in moderation" flag here. I have a couple of servings of fruit every day and I think my ticker speaks for itself.

You said it!