No eating Fruit to help lose those pounds!!!

Options

Replies

• diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist needs to go back to school. I think he should be working with dogs.

ya, not the best way to go about that, no one wants nasty comments......

not saying i disagree, but say something constructive, we are all here to help eachother, share information and be successful
  • brafordrm
    brafordrm Posts: 19
    Options
    I can see how this would work when you are trying to rush losing weight. But lots of good things come from fruit and for most people that have sugar cravings, fruit is a fantastic way to get the right kind of sugars in your body. You body is meant to make insulin for when you get too high, but I'd recommend cutting sugar intake from other sources. Fruit has the good sugar!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I would really miss my Fuji apples......

or honey crisp apples,I would be a sad girl if I couldnt have those
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you...

I just can't imagine cutting out fruits and veggies though. I need the natural sugars to keep me going.

I know that if you're opting for the low-carb lifestyle, a quick fix is to cut out fruits and veggies to drop the water weight.

What ever happened to the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away?'

:laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hiya people,

Here is a tip from my nutritionist:

Don't eat fruit! I thought he was just being weird and stupid, however he is making sense and I have seen the proof. I have lost a significant amount of weight on top of what I was previously, because of this. I would estimate an extra pound a week. It is hard to say for definite, but I would be confident it's a pound or damn close to it.

The logic is that fruit contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and sugar. This sugar makes the body produce insulin. However if you’re eating vegetables instead you are still getting the vitamins (things like peppers which have far more Vit-C than oranges) but without the sugars.

This has seriously helped me keep way below my carb intake for the day as well as hit all my vitamins and minerals including proteins etc etc.

Hope this helps people as much as it has me.

Michael

If you're losing and 'extra' pound per week, you're probably losing muscle!!! As was scientifically proven with the low carb atkins diet!! Which, subsequent to studie, now DOES NOT cut out fruit in the first 2 weeks as it did in the original diet.

Up to you, but most of us on here only want to lose FAT only, and want to sustain our eating habits for life. That includes eating healthy food. Fruit included!

There is absolutley no reason why people should be afraid of carbs. It's a macronutrient and we need it for energy! When we stop burning carbs we burn other parts of our body, including fat, but also including lean, healthy tissue!

As regards the 'insulin spike' without it, you would die, as the sugars would not be dispersed where it should be dispersed. That is, into our muscles, to form glycogen, to give us energy. The only time that insulin starts STORING fat, which is probably what your nutritionist meant? Is when you eat MORE sugar than you NEED. So, the fact that we all eat in deficit and exercise our )(*&^&_)*%% off, should take care of the fat storage caused by insulin.

And to conclude the studies, which are pasted all over the internet, people on a low carb diet DO NOT lose more weight than people on a balanced diet. Usually, because its unsustainable and the weight comes back as soon as you return to our lovely carbs.

I'd say your nutritionist bases his success on fast weight loss. Fast doesnt mean healthy! Read all the articles on the biggest loser .....................

Each to their own tho, I'm definitely not giving up my fruit, nor my carbs. Perhaps I just read too much?? lol
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've never tried this but it seems to make sense. But I lost my initial 20 lbs pretty easily just staying away from processed foods and eating solely fruits, veggies, healthy fats, whole grains and lean protein. I could live without fruit back then, but now I'd miss my apples and berries. :(
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hiya people,

Don't eat fruit! I thought he was just being weird and stupid, however he is making sense and I have seen the proof. I have lost a significant amount of weight on top of what I was previously, because of this. I would estimate an extra pound a week. It is hard to say for definite, but I would be confident it's a pound or damn close to it.

I think everyone's already covered what needs to be said about fruit vs no-fruit, but one thing from the OP that is a common error - one person's experience does not constitute "PROOF". It's anecdotal evidence. Now, if you gave me a *well-constructed/designed*, reproducible, scientific study that addressed this issue, I'd read it and add it to my mental database of information to draw from... but even then it's just one study.

Just because something "works" for one person doesn't mean it would work for everyone, or that it is even really a good idea. How do you know it is the fruit that is making the difference? And unless you're cutting out 3500 calories of fruit a week, cutting out fruit is not going to increase your weight loss by a pound a week...

Weight loss is both complex and straightforward - straightforward in that it's about calories in vs calories out, but complex in that knowing exactly how many calories we eat or burn is impossible - it's all about estimates and assumptions. The human body is very complex and so many factors affect weight loss. "Proof" for ANYTHING related to fitness/weight-loss is rare, and I don't think there's a single issue that all "experts" agree on. (And some "experts" are anything but...)
  • EdwardCPT
    EdwardCPT Posts: 37
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me to keep it in moderation. Of course they are healthy but also high in sugar. I would say 1-3 servings a day and i like to have it after a workout or so to fill in the depleted glycogen.. plus ive heard ur body digests sugars fast after a workout. Correct me if im wrong
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The point is to limit intake of foods with a high glycemic index, which causes insulin release, which (LONG story short) will result in fat deposition.

Fruit is very nutritional, of course, but fruits are also full of sugar, which is why they're so sweet. No, it's not candy, but if you're looking at keeping your insulin levels relatively stable, and not fluctuating, limiting intake of fruits (part. those with high GI) is helpful. Berries are a great option for fruit lovers.

Fruit is a MUCH better option than most things you could eat, but not better than veggies, nutritionally speaking. If you find that you're down to your goal, but you just can't shake those last couple of lbs, or you wonder why your abs won't show, you have to look at your carb/sugar intake. Tightening up your diet just a bit (like eating an apple instead of a banana, or eating a few fruits/day instead of all day long) can help. I'm working on that now, and it's really helping.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I happen to agree with this guy and his nutritionist and have seen more than one person dropping off the lbs. by replacing fruits with vegetables. I don't think they posted this for debate... but more so for people who are really looking to get out of those cravings, midnight snacking, saliva-induction when they see a piece of cake.. that's really holding them back from getting healthier. I consider this to be more cutting edge advice. No. Fruit is not bad. The poster never said that. What they said is... they cut out the fruit sugar, still got nutrients/vitamins from vegetables and lost weight as a result. And I believe that's the truth. I follow the same guidelines. I've lowered my sugars - and I don't make exceptions because it is natural.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hiya people,

The logic is that fruit contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and sugar. This sugar makes the body produce insulin. However if you’re eating vegetables instead you are still getting the vitamins (things like peppers which have far more Vit-C than oranges) but without the sugars.

This has seriously helped me keep way below my carb intake for the day as well as hit all my vitamins and minerals including proteins etc etc.

Hope this helps people as much as it has me.

Michael
    This is absolutely right. I've experienced it with both myself and my clients. Good nutritionist!!!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have been told the same thing by a nutritionist. However she stressed strongly only to keep it out during the weight loss phase and include it as part of a balanced maitenance diet in moderation, she also said to include either a good fat or protein with it, like if you have an apple have a bit of peanut butter with it, or grapes with lowfat cheese. It lowers the impact the fruit will have on blood sugar.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I will never stop eating fruit. To each his own.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This may work for some people, but it is not necessarily the case for everyone to follow.
  • superdre
    superdre Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm eating fruit and still losing weight. I think fruit in moderation is ok... where you can get into trouble is with Fruit Juices... High in sugars and corn syrup in some cases.... :-X The occasional apple or banana as a substitute for a candybar is good. :-D
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    **waves goodbye to the incredibly rude poster**
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Hogwash. Eat a balanced diet. 3500 calories = 1 pound no matter how you cut it. Eat 3500 calories less than you burn in a given time period and you will lose a pound.

Miracle soup Diet. Low Carb. High Fiber. No dairy. You can go on line pick out any theory and find just as many pro sites as con sites.

Your best bet is a balanced diet while practicing portion control.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would really miss my Fuji apples......
    They are my favorite apples too. Anyways it makes sense and it depends on the type fruits you are eating. Some fruits are higher in sugar than others i.e grapes, watermelon, bananas as some veggies are higher in starches than others too. One has to be mindful and eats everything in moderation. I have a coworker who was eating 5-6 apples/banana combination a day. Although he was eating healthy his weight never changed and after he read an article he switched to 1 day and add more veggies. He has lost 25lbs since January. He does everything else the same he has been doing since last june.

Everything in moderation. Too much of anything is not good.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't discount the fact that the USRDA and the Food Pyramid are much more heavily influenced by business interests than by scientists or doctors. Our US dietary recommendations are the product of what crops and foods our government chooses to subsidize, which is in turn based on what crops and foods can be successfully sold all over the world. Hence the presence of corn in everything we eat EXCEPT fruits and vegetables.

One is not necessarily better off letting a bunch of lobbyists and politicians dictate food choices.

this. the food industry makes me sick.

i agree with the OP but also, EVERYONE WORKS IN DIFFERENT WAYS. my personal trainer also told me if i wanted to reduce belly fat, i had to cut sugar out of my diet as much as possible, including refined/bad sugars (from junk food etc) and even fruit. he said it's because most often than not, excess sugar is stored as fat (i did not research or have proof for this statement). some people need their sugar fix and props to them for choosing fruit over chocolate. but i think the OP is saying that if you could or if you want to, you could try eliminating fruit from your diet to see if it helps with your weight/fat loss even more.

he didn't say fruit per se was BAD for you, just that perhaps cutting it out of your diet would help you in your weight/fat loss journey. a lot of you lost weight while eating fruit because by choosing fruit over _____ (insert junk food here) was already a healthier choice, and i am sure you were cutting calories at the same time. different nutritionists have different opinions or lean toward different research, science is always expanding and improving itself, so it is really difficult to say what is right and what is wrong.

THERE IS TOO MUCH HATE AND VINDICTIVENESS AROUND. gee, i understand that dieting might make some people a little more short tempered but come on people.

OP is trying to help. if his tip works for you, great. if his tip doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you and you are more suited to another type of diet for weight loss.

to the poster who said that his nutritionist should work with dogs, you are so ignorant. but probably right since working with dogs would be MUCH easier than working with people like you.

RANT OVER.
  • CayceLynn77
    Options
    I am gonna try to cut the fruit... sont eat that much anyway, is there any veggies that I should stay away from??