Skinny ppl at the gym

Options

Replies

• ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is RIDICULOUS.

They're probably thin for a very good reason. Heck, I bet some of you would wear the tighter variety of gym gear if you had a new found body to be proud of. Isn't that the goal for most people here? To lose weight and feel good about themselves? Why not just be proud of what other people have achieved and instead of feeling intimidated, let it push you harder and spur you on.

I really don't get the mentality of some people. That's like someone saying they go down to the gym to keep in shape and the last thing they need is overweight people taking up the exercise equipment.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The last two days I've been working out at a Gold's Gym (first time) and I'm fairly certain that it's more about a fashion show for some people in there. Who in the heck needs to wear a fitted baseball cap, cocked to the side, while running on the treadmill, with no socks, shoes untied and on top of it all...they aren't even running shoes.

I wasn't impressed with this specific Gold's Gym, I'm sure there are nice ones out there. Places like the Hollywood 24 Hour Fitness, some guys go there particularly on their cutting cycles to show their bodies off. When they are bulking they'll work out at other gyms...why? Because everyone knows all the hotties go to Hollywood 24 Hr. Fitness.

What a wold some folks live in.

I go to Planet Fitness and I love it. There's all sorts of people there, from in shape to obese. Everyone just goes and works out and minds their own business. Nobody's trying to show off or judge others. I don't know if all Planet Fitness gyms are like that (I know that's how they market themselves, though), but mine definitely is!
  • Bviera
    Options
    This is RIDICULOUS.

They're probably thin for a very good reason. Heck, I bet some of you would wear the tighter variety of gym gear if you had a new found body to be proud of. Isn't that the goal for most people here? To lose weight and feel good about themselves? Why not just be proud of what other people have achieved and instead of feeling intimidated, let it push you harder and spur you on.

I really don't get the mentality of some people. That's like someone saying they go down to the gym to keep in shape and the last thing they need is overweight people taking up the exercise equipment.

Amen, sister! Totally agree.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Can someone pleeeeeease let me know where these gyms that have hot women wearing nothing but sports bras, thongs and teeny shorts are located? They are not in my gym!

Oh, no. The only view I get subjected to is sweaty, muscular men grunting like over exicted piglets as they deadlift. Hmmm, maybe I should leave the free weights area once in a while....

On a serious note, it's not cool to judge by appearances. Oh, I know sometimes it is hard not to but I think everyone knows on some level that you can tell just about nothing about a person from the way they look.
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is RIDICULOUS.

*Brother ;P
  • Bviera
    Options
    This is RIDICULOUS.

*Brother ;P

Whoops! My apologies! AMEN, BROTHER. :-)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Theres people of all shapes and sizes at my gym and i never really notice any of them. I just get on with my own thing, and as far as i can tell, noone looks at me either.

In my experience people just want to get on with their own workout. The only times i felt embarrassed were maybe the first two times i went, then i realised noone was looking.;
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm the complete opposite--

if I see larger people working out (in what usually isn't proper workout attire...ahem...pajamas?! Really?)
    I want to leave the gym. The thought of them gooping up the machines with their sweat and then NOT wiping down the machines makes me gag.
  • marspec1maven
    Options
    Fortunately my gym isn't very glossy so its not uncomfortable to be there. And I also go at 6 am every day so I really don't share it with many people. No show-offs at that hour!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm not the fittest person at my gym, by far. But if and when I get shot looks cause I happen to wear a sleeveless tee or that I'm too skinny to be working out, I love it. It lets me know that I am in shape. That they might be envious. It just motivates me more. Then I see the people with <10% body fat and defined muscles and that motivates me more. I want to get to where the fittest people are and at the same time not dissapoint the ones that think I'm already there. If I'm in the gym, there's no where to go, but up.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If anything, I use them as a goal and motivation of what I want. Trust me, I'm one of the biggest people at my gym.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Why?
    They're living active healthy lifestyles and isn't that the future you.
    Instead of discouragement, you should feel motivated to change yourself around and become skinny.
    Isn't that what we're here for anyway?

i agree.
    i think your post was very rude. i may not be stick thin, but i think of myself as relativly skiny, and i don't like the way you judge skinny people... isn't that what you think "skinny people" are doing to the "fat people" at the gym??? judging them for the way they look. it shouldn't discourage you. you should work harder so you can be that "skiny person" at the gym.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    no, because i have no idea what those skinny girls have gone through. maybe they were once as big as i was, or maybe they have had a eating disorder, or maybe they've just been flat out healthy all their life! i dont know their story so im not one to sit back and judge..BUT however, if you walk in looking like a hot mess then i will judge, and look at you crazy *i aint gonna lie* and hell if they're confident enough to work out in a sports bra then more power to em! even if i do get skinny i just dont like the attention it would bring to me.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    anyone ever feel discouraged by the hot, skinny people at the gym. At my gym girls wear sport bras and spandex to workout. Im like really?!? I hate feeling like that when im supposed to feel motivated :(

Don't be discouraged! You will be one of them someday!! :)
  • ababygrace
    ababygrace Posts: 123
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I don't mind the sports bras and tight clothes because it may build up that person's self esteem while working out. If I was fit, I would do the same. It is no different than a beach which is also a public place.
    However there is a line that I draw because I have seen women or young girls come in the gym with their butt cheeks hanging out. Not only is that disgusting but it is distracting.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    frustrating topic on so many levels
  • CharlieSC
    CharlieSC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I deal with a little of the same problem but mine is about my embarrassing lack of strength. I am the weakest rat in the pack and that is humiliating for an old ex-athlete (college level). Not use to everyone in the gym being stronger...men, women, larger and smaller..... doesn't matter. Coming off of an old injury makes it more difficult but it hard to go and not feel a little intimidated.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I'm the complete opposite--

if I see larger people working out (in what usually isn't proper workout attire...ahem...pajamas?! Really?)
    I want to leave the gym. The thought of them gooping up the machines with their sweat and then NOT wiping down the machines makes me gag.

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/tongue%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E_%5ENot Cool!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    anyone ever feel discouraged by the hot, skinny people at the gym. At my gym girls wear sport bras and spandex to workout. Im like really?!? I hate feeling like that when im supposed to feel motivated :(

So, when you get that feeling, see if you can change it around. You can replace those negative thoughts with something more positive, like..."I am SO on my way to looking that good"..it just takes some practice. Try it :)