Couch to 5K (start 4/4/11)

Options

Replies

• Bob1062
    Bob1062 Posts: 38
    Options
    Great job everyone!! Hope you don't mind if I jump in here too. Tomorrow I run W3D2 so I'm right in there with a lot of you. I am doing ok so far. It still is cold when I run. I'm still wearing many layers, have ears covered and gloves on. I think IF it ever gets warm my runs will get better just from the loss of so much weight in extra clothes. If you're running tomorrow too...good luck.
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just completed WK3D3 run and I feel good. I run nonstop on every run. The last three minute run was crucial but towards the end of the run I ran down hill so I wasn't all that bad. Lungs were on fire. I don't know how I will make the Wk4D1 on friday. I need motivation.

My suggestion is slow your pace down.

You'll be fine.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hope you all don't mind me jumping in! I am doing c25k...wk5 d2 today. Saturday is the dreaded (not really) 20 min run! I'm loving it so far. I do it on the treadmill on 2% incline and my runs are 4.4 mph (13min mile). I'm going to take it outside once I complete it and then start again on week 3or 4 maybe. 8 min runs today!!!!!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks TS! I'm hanging in there...just like losing weight in general, I'm always wishin' it would happen faster! :ohwell:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Wow Peter, you are pacing well - I did week 9 day 3 and still can't run 5k
    Thank you. I still walk quite a bit. Avg 1km in 7.5 mins. - so 5k would be ~37.5mins
    I've seen others finish 5k's at around 30 +/- 2-3 mins. so that's what I'm aiming for.

emiskins - great job - great feeling to hit that non stop point - it does get easier once you've done it once. I guess i'm just 1-2 weeks ahead of you.

TS65 - there is no failing - Your body didn't adapt as fast as it the plan could allow some people. of couse it's ok to repeat, get your legs stronger, build up more stamina, then try to move ahead again.

cutiger81 - you can do it tomorrow - Slow down your pace. Do you listen to music/podcasts? holding on to the end of a song is a great way to get to 3 mins.

Funny thing I found out since last 2-3 weeks. I have different jogging speads. Makes sense. Sometimes we just gotta slow down a gear to get through something tougher

kmac1196 - that's where i'm headed - Just did W5D1 - I might repeat that again or try W5D2 - 8 min non stop
    Good luck with it. Wow - just think of 20 min non stop. - Let me know how your 8 min non stop goes.

To push through that extra bit, i'm sure most of you already know.
    - slow down.
    - Music helped - finish to the end of the song
    - Physical markers Jog to that 3rd driveway, 4th telephone pole
    - count down from 30 secs or 60 secs to 0.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    W5d2 done! The first 8 mins was fine but the 2nd was tough...all mental though. I kept telling myself that my breathing was fine my legs and feet were fine. I think it would have been easier without the walk in the middle! Now, Saturday...the long awaited, much feared w5d3...the 20 minute run!!!!!!! I'm scared! LOL!!!
  • thumper44
    Options
    Good job Kmac1196 - You can do it on saturday - slow the pace and think about other things.

I repeated W5D1 again today - Had a Yoga workout so I didn't want to push W5D2 today - in a couple days I will be attempting it.
  • Bob1062
    Bob1062 Posts: 38
    Options
    I finished W3D2 a few hours ago. I sure felt like a slug, I was afraid the power walkers were going to pass me while I was "jogging" I started out easy hoping to have some thing for the later runs. When the later runs came, I had nothing. On the positive side, I finished and only walked when I was supposed to walk. Looking forward to Saturday and hoping W3D3 finishes strong.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I got through W3 D3 today, but I'm with Bob...someone must have put cement in my shoes! I did see a small improvement on how I got through the first set of 90 sec/3 min, so that's encouraging. Sooner or later, I'll get there!

Has anyone else run into this? - Now that it's finally getting nicer out, some of the neighbors are outside when I'm doing the walk sections and they want to gab - I never thought I'd be a person to say, "Sorry, I have to keep moving...I'm being timed on this program in my phone!" It's neat to think other people might look at me and think I'm dedicated and determined - it used to always be me thinking that about other people :tongue:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I got through W3 D3 today, but I'm with Bob...someone must have put cement in my shoes! I did see a small improvement on how I got through the first set of 90 sec/3 min, so that's encouraging. Sooner or later, I'll get there!

Has anyone else run into this? - Now that it's finally getting nicer out, some of the neighbors are outside when I'm doing the walk sections and they want to gab - I never thought I'd be a person to say, "Sorry, I have to keep moving...I'm being timed on this program in my phone!" It's neat to think other people might look at me and think I'm dedicated and determined - it used to always be me thinking that about other people :tongue:

Wear earphones and an ipod. Wave and walk fast when you're walking by.

As for cement in your shoes, I hear ya! Sometimes it seems like it take 2/3 of the workout before I feel "normal" - and then it's over. :laugh:
  • Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to run wk4D1...Wish me luck...
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to run wk4D1...Wish me luck...

Me too - hope it went well for you.....
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just started today. After the first interval I was gasping for breath. I was really surprised that my recovery from the jogging portion got faster and faster. I've never been good at running, and I'm so excited that this program exists to teach me how to work up to it! Good luck everyone :)
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just did W2 D1 yesterday and was really surprised how easy it was for me! I have NEVER liked to run, and I really struggled with my breathing and with aches and pains in my legs and knees during Week 1, but yesterday, I really actually enjoyed the running intervals. I found a nice rhythm and didn't struggle with my breathing at all. So far, I am LOVING this program and can't wait to progress further.
  • Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Run first part of wk4d1 run went well. I finished both the 3 and 5 minute runs up and downhill with no problems. I completed the second 3 minute at a slower past doing up and down hills and curves on a running path through the neighborhood. During th last walk I had to add an additional two minutes of walking to catch my breathe. I complete the last 5 minute run without stopping but it was difficult. I keep telling myself that my legs were fine and my breathing was fine. I'm sort of disappointed that I walked an additional two minutes during the walk but my wife told me that I never stopped running during the run phases. I guess that is an accomplishment. She also reminded me that I'm carrying 292lbs up and down hill as she is only 137lbs and we are both keeping the same pace. I guess that makes me feel a little better.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Run first part of wk4d1 run went well. I finished both the 3 and 5 minute runs up and downhill with no problems. I completed the second 3 minute at a slower past doing up and down hills and curves on a running path through the neighborhood. During th last walk I had to add an additional two minutes of walking to catch my breathe. I complete the last 5 minute run without stopping but it was difficult. I keep telling myself that my legs were fine and my breathing was fine. I'm sort of disappointed that I walked an additional two minutes during the walk but my wife told me that I never stopped running during the run phases. I guess that is an accomplishment. She also reminded me that I'm carrying 292lbs up and down hill as she is only 137lbs and we are both keeping the same pace. I guess that makes me feel a little better.

REALITY CHECK! :smile: Why are you disappointed? 4 weeks ago, could you run for 90 seconds? NO! BE PROUD!
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Well done! don't forget you've got 2 more times on that routine before you have to move on, sounds like you did really well. I was suffering a bit with asthma/hayfever, need to remember to take my inhaler before I go out. Otherwise it was ok.
  • dmaffy
    dmaffy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Been reading this thread but never posted till now ive just finished last set of week 2 so start week 3 on monday never thought i would get this far and suprised how much i am manageing and enjoying it keep going every one :)
  • thumper44
    Options
    You gotta remind yourself ... "2, 3, 5 weeks ago I couldn't have done ...... ".

3-4 weeks ago, I could barely keep up the 3 mins non stop.
    I've done the 5min non stop, and completed W5D1 twice.

Today or tomorrow I will be attempting W5D2 - 8 mins non stop - I sometimes think, I can't do this.
    Push through, we are capable of more than we give ourselves credit for.
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    W1 D2 completed this morning. Funny, my dog improved on the second run as well! We are both getting in better shape :) Just not sure how to get him to do his stretching exercises....