what the hell is 2 ounces in slices of meat?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    i just made a cold cut sandwich, got the meat from the deli so it doesnt have nutrition info on it, so i look it up in the database and i found it or something close to eat but a serv. size is 2 ounces. what does that equal in slice terms?

i had 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of turkey.

It depends. How big were the slices, how thick were the slices.

If you know how much you paid for it, how much did it cost per gram or ounce, use this to calculate the amount of ounces you bought, the receipt may even show the weight of how much you bought.
  • grasp
    grasp Posts: 31
    Just a note. I found that grams is much easier to use when calculating foods. So if your scale has a gram setting, give it a try.
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    yah its boards head thin sliced cooked ham and cracked pepper mill turkey.

i put 2 slices of each.- 4 slices of meat total.
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member

boars- sorry

and i got 1/2 pd of each.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member

How many slices are in the package?

It really depends upon how thick the slices are. It should have the weight of the total package on it. Because they normally sell it by the pound. The calculation would be:
    pounds x 16= ounces in package, ounces in package/slices in package = how many slices per ounce.

Hope this helps
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Just a note. I found that grams is much easier to use when calculating foods. So if your scale has a gram setting, give it a try.

I agree! It's 28 grams to the ounce and when you're trying to measure little things like nuts, grams are much, much easier to get the exact amount. I still use pounds when I'm portioning out meat for the freezer, though.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    I've found that most of the Boar's Head stuff I buy is in the database. If not, they have a little booklet at the deli counter you can take with you.

And yes, get the scale. Only way to be accurate! ;)
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    I found a cheap-o scale at Walmart for $5. It is not digital but still works. The thin sliced lunchmeat I buy is 4-5 slices for 2 oz.
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Thank you, I was just googling about this!
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Just a wild guess but I would think you had at least 2oz of meat. I have a scale at home and usually weigh all my food.

Me too, we weigh everything we eat either by weight or by volume pretty much.
  • spiderkacie
    spiderkacie Posts: 3 Member
    I asked a deli person that question today she said one thin slice was about 2oz but I have no clue if that's right.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    i just made a cold cut sandwich, got the meat from the deli so it doesnt have nutrition info on it, so i look it up in the database and i found it or something close to eat but a serv. size is 2 ounces. what does that equal in slice terms?

i had 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of turkey.

It depends.

ETA - some of the "deli" meat I get is in 1# slices.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    The Boars Head I buy is about an ounce a slice because of the way the deli slices the meat. But if you got a half pound of each and there were 8 slices of each you know its an ounce a slice.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Right I think that a quarter of sliced meat (4 ounces is one quarter of a pound) is approximately 4 slices - so probably you have consumed 4 ounces - one slice approx one ounce
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    time to buy a food scale. everything else is guessing.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    For deli meat, I look at the total weight on the package and count the amount of slices. Divide the total weight by the number of slices and find the avg. weight per slice!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    I eat boars head chicken breast every day for lunch and 4 slices is exactly 2 oz.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    It really depends on the slices. I've gotten 4-5 slices that weigh 2 oz and I've gotten 1 slice that weighed 2 oz.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    If your not weighing your food, your taking a big risk. Calories add up fast and if you are over by a few each meal they will not leave you with a deficit, GET A SCALE is the only answer to this post.
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    I bought some Boars Head turkey breast from the deli today. I have a food scale, but if I didn't this is how I would have figured it out:

The label they slapped on the deli bag said I have .26 pounds of turkey breast.
    One pound is 16 ounces, so .26 X 16 gives me 4.16 ounces of turkey breast.
    There are 28.36 grams in an ounce (rounded), so...
    If you need to convert that into grams, 4.16 X 28036 = 117.98 grams.

ETA: I ate all my turkey in one sitting, but if you needed to figure out how much each slice weighs, then you'd divide the weight by how many slices you have. So, in keeping with my example above, I had 5 slices of meat. So 4.16 / 5 = .832 ounces per slice.

Seems like a lot less work to invest in a food scale, no? :wink: :wink: