What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• trish1960
    trish1960 Posts: 39
    Options
    One large scrambled egg = 101 calories. I used to have 3 or 4 scrambled eggs, 6 slices of bacon and toast with butter and jelly - oh and don't forget the glass of milk. WOW. It's hard to go from eating without thinking about it to measuring everything you eat.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm not even getting into sodium... That's a whole different thread! I must say sushi! Specifically, spicy tuna rolls. I had not realized they had that much mayo in them!

Oops, it said calories. Still though it shocked me. I guess yogurt really threw me. I've seen 220 calories in a single serving. I use to eat a boat load of the stuff.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    One large scrambled egg = 101 calories. I used to have 3 or 4 scrambled eggs, 6 slices of bacon and toast with butter and jelly - oh and don't forget the glass of milk. WOW. It's hard to go from eating without thinking about it to measuring everything you eat.

Oh, that is my kind of girl! LOL. Well I have really cut down on bread and fried eggs. Though boiled eggs are not bad at all.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    swiss mix or trail mix..seems healthy but its not :(

almost EVERYTHING at any restaurant... i try to check online for nutrition info before i go to any restaurant...i dont want to be surprised later!!!!
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Sodium drives me nuts, I knew it was bad just not that bad I guess. I like to eat out so when I tracked a few of the meals from places like Applebees and Longhorn I was floored. The food is not even good enough for the amount of calories, fat and sodium they have in them. Oh and I went to the Cheesecake Factory once, not going back anytime soon.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    A dognut.....some are 300 calories!!

I was hungry in work a while back and someput made me a cup of tea and put a dognut on a plate for me. Just out of curiosity i checked the calorie content on MFP.....290 calories! I threw it straight in the bin :-)

^ I"m sorry, but I"m just getting to my morning coffee and I read that LITERALLY at first! DOGNUT!? :noway: :laugh:
    Hee hee - I'm also a big doughnut/donut fan.

I don't shop at Costco very often, but the last time I went there I had the Italian sausage w/ Peppers and Onions - a whopping 700 calories, 42g of fat and 2230 mg sodium. :huh: :angry: And you know what, it wasn't very good - I don't know what I was expecting - it's not like I was getting a nice sausage at a beer garden or something...:laugh: :indifferent:
  • audbbgirl
    audbbgirl Posts: 83
    Options
    the veggie sub from Jimmy John's over 500 calories

one cup of Plain Oatmeal 300
  • jconnon
    Options
    I think 300 calories is low for a donut. I will have to go to Dunkin Donuts site. I think the bagels are actually worse than a lot of the donuts.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I haven't been shocked by calories so much but sodium WOOZERS!! I have to make sure I eat all fresh seafood because anything from salt water will just taste like a block of salt. Subway may be a healthy choice for some but because of the excessive sodium content I can't do it any longer.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My favorites really shocked me into not eating them anymore:
    Red Robin Patty Melt, with Fries and a Coke: (OK with refills, several cokes) oh and don't forget rings: 2900 Approx calories
    Portillo's: Combo Beef and sausage, with cheese, large cheese fries, and a large coke: 2300 calories
    Just my typical pre work breakfast of McDonald's: 2 Sausage McMuffin with egg, hash brown, large coke: 1360

I guess I knew fast food wasn't good food but I never realized how bad it was for me
  • jconnon
    Options
    the veggie sub from Jimmy John's over 500 calories

one cup of Plain Oatmeal 300

Plain oatmeal shouldn't be 300 calories unless your talking a whole cup dry. I use Quaker old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup dry which looks like at least a cup finished (made with water) and thats only 75 calories.
  • tammydspice
    tammydspice Posts: 102
    Options
    Pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. I had to jump rope for 16 mins to get rid of that one coffee!! So not worth it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Orange juice...I just don't want to drink 110 calories for 8 ounces, not to mention I would probably drink 10-12 ounces a day and all of that sugar...eek! I have cut out OJ in favor of an orange or nothing at all and save it for rare occasions.

Pasta was a HUGE eye opener. I was eating 4 ounces (dry) per serving. Yikes!!!

Also, my favorite homemade beef enchiladas. I used the MFP recipe tool and worked it out that two tiny enchiladas are a whopping 700+ calories. Good gravy.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Steamed Brown Rice is 200 calories per cup! This shocked me the first time! It's more than eating 5 cups of steamed veggies!!!!!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    A few years back I decided to check the calorie content of a fried chicken finger Zalad from Zaxbys. I knew that since it tasted SO good and was SO big there was no way it was low cal but holy cow when I totaled it up it was over 100 grams of fat and close to 2000 calories. I dont remember exactly. Now I wasn't one of those people who thought since its a "salad" it must be healthy - but geez. I never thought it would be quite THAT bad! I've never had one since then and will never have one again- unless I have about 3 other people to share it with lol.
  • Batmitestar
    Batmitestar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Deluxe mixed nuts.
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My husband last week told me he ate light for dinner. He just had a ham and cheese melt from IHOP. Just a sandwich he said. I looked it up....1100 cal! Are you kidding me? How do you even get that many calories in 1 sandwich?
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Lord!!! my nachos i love em....:sad:
  • Batmitestar
    Batmitestar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Deluxe mixed nuts. A 30 gram serving (which doesn't even line the bottom of a small zip lock bag) packs 170 calories. All these years I thought a few handfuls of nuts was a healthy snack! But the food scale (a must have, what a huge aid in the battle!) doesn't lie!

6139224.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • BlindFaith
    Options
    Red Delicious apples.
    80 calories for one medium apple! Don't know why, but that made me do this face ----> :noway: