What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My husband last week told me he ate light for dinner. He just had a ham and cheese melt from IHOP. Just a sandwich he said. I looked it up....1100 cal! Are you kidding me? How do you even get that many calories in 1 sandwich?

2 sausage and egg biscuits from hardees, 1100 calories! I loved those things. Have no idea what the sodium content is but I can tell you a pilsbury grand biscuit is atrocious in sodium and calories.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. I had to jump rope for 16 mins to get rid of that one coffee!! So not worth it.

im sorry, but that is SO worth it to me! fall wouldn't be the same without starbucks pumpkin spice :)
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Mine was almonds & cashews.. I was bringing a little ziplock baggy to work with handfuls of them in there, and I'd have grapes along with them.. I didn't realize I was eating around 400-500 cals every single day in just ALMONDS ...
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach- 2 cups = 13 calories.
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    Panera Bread Egg Souffle! I cried when I found out how much calories were in one! over 500
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    What frustrates me is I almost always customize my order and then eat about half, so even if it says on the menu I'm not certain what I'm eating.

Chili's quesidilla explosion salad for example. I use just a tiny portion of the dressing on the side and skip the quesidillas all together. So I know the original 1,400 calorie meal is way less than stated, but have to assume around 500 as a guesstimate. Same for Olive Garden's Shrimp Carpese - skip the butter sauce and sub marinara at a half portion has to drastically reduce the 900 calorie dish.

We can always improve the splurges when going out to eat, but impossible then to really know what we ended up with.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    not calories but fat! I am a teacher and one of my students had one of the individual packs of sunflower seeds. 17 GRAMS of FAT!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Beans
    Nuts so small and so high in calories!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    O I have one more: Chai Tea Latte with skim milk - 200 calories and 42G OF SUGAR!!!!! Might as well drink pop!!!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    not calories but fat! I am a teacher and one of my students had one of the individual packs of sunflower seeds. 17 GRAMS of FAT!!

sun flower seeds are great for you and thats good fat that the body needs
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My favorite Peanut Butter cookies....It almost makes me cry to say it but they are 350 calories and I cannot have just one...R.I.P Peanut Butter Cookie You are truly missed
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have always known that ranch dressing is high in calories and fat, but until I started tracking what I ate and how much ranch dressing I put on everything, I didn't realize just HOW MANY calories I was eating JUST from the ranch dressing alone! I'm slowly trying to overcome my "ranch addiction," but it isn't easy....
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    My favorite Peanut Butter cookies....It almost makes me cry to say it but they are 350 calories and I cannot have just one...R.I.P Peanut Butter Cookie You are truly missed

LMAO ((hug)) im sorry for your loss :flowerforyou:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Chick Fil A cole slaw-300 calories! I actually thouight I was eating something that was around 100 cals:(

French Onion Soup @ Applebees-348 cals. It's broth for goodness sakes.

A banana-105 cals. I still can't get over this one:)

Chick Fil A cole slaw-300 calories! I actually thouight I was eating something that was around 100 cals:(

- Because it is made with mayonnaise, low fatmayo or miracle whip makes it better.

French Onion Soup @ Applebees-348 cals. It's broth for goodness sakes.
    - A broth covered in layers of cheese (which is where the calories come from) the sodium is killer in the broth too though.

A banana-105 cals. I still can't get over this one:)
    - Might seem high, but it is some of the best calories you can consume. Great for the potassium content. Good for recovery smoothies too.

My latest shocker was hamburgers. 20% fat patty is 380 calories, a 5% patty is 190 calories. Such a huge difference, sadly nearly all places use the 20% fat because it 'tastes better'. :grumble:
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

sun flower seeds are great for you and thats good fat that the body needs

good to know! thanks for the tip
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I went to a Thai restaurant to have my favorite "light" salad. Turns out that the cellophane noodles tossed in the salad have 491 calories per serving! It's a good thing I checked my MFP app before eating it. I ended picking out half the noodles.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm still shocked at how much sugar is in an onion.

The sugars in fruits and veggies are not like refined sugars though. The fiber in the fruit or veggie keeps most of that sugar from being absorbed by the body.
  • meadows654
    meadows654 Posts: 164
    Options
    I expected pizza to be a kinda high, but only 3 slices of pizza hut pizza was ~1100 calories! And that was a cheese pizza; no meat or anything else on it! And a Friendly's bacon burger (withOUT the fries) is ~1400!! Holy cow!
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Low: egg whites, jam, donuts (I thought donuts would be like 500 calories), grated parmesan.

High: olive oil, almonds, bread and japanese rice (nishiki rice = ~300/cup vs. jasmine rice = ~200/cup).

Sodium shocker: smoked salmon. YIKES.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Anything from Hardee's is just horrendous to me.