What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That is surprising - what was the heavy element of the strifry?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    the chicken had the most cals, but i dont mind that as its good protein, but i put a few egg noodles in it - only a half portion, but still, and the sauce was 95 cals a portion. It all adds up too quickly
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Guillian Shell Chocolates!!! 290 EACH!!! That's more than your average chocolate bar in ONE chocolate....I bought my boyfriend a mini box for Valentine's day and it had about 8 chocolates in it and there were about 2000 calories in that tiny box! Couldn't believe it!

I love guillian shells too, but never again!!!!!!!!!!!

Creme Eggs are only 150 cals apparently :) so they're good to cure the occasional chocolate craving!

I just checked my Belgian packaging and they are (depending on whether with the hazelnuts or not) 60-69 calories each- the packing here at the energy content in kilojoules so I had to convert into calories but not as bad as you feared!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm going to just say regular pop/soda. not each can, but once you figure out how many you were drinking per day, and that *holy crap* moment where you were drinking your 1200 calories in JUST pop. it was insane.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    wendys salad, 750 calories.
    grape juice. Thought I was drinking healthy untill I read ingredients. just high fructose corn syrup and food coloring basically.
    granola bar.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    when i started to pay attention to my sodium, i was shocked to see how much sodium is in everything. i didn't realize just how bad all that processed stuff was for me. and if you eat out, forget about staying under your sodium goal unless you do some research beforehand and are VERY careful and selective!

Although we're not talking calories here, I agree. This is by far the hardest part of my new way of eating. I work such weird shirts that I often rely on processed foods on my work days. The other day I consumed around 4000mgs of sodium! I guess I just need to start precooking my meals on my days off and reheating them later.
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just checked my Belgian packaging and they are (depending on whether with the hazelnuts or not) 60-69 calories each- the packing here at the energy content in kilojoules so I had to convert into calories but not as bad as you feared!

oh really? phew!!!
    Hmmm...odd though, I checked the packet like a hundred times because I just found it unbelievable, and got my mum to read it to in case I was having a moment, and she read it as that too?!
  • jesster64
    Options
    dang, just read through the posts. Realized my daughters girl scout nut order came in last week and I've been munching on trail mix and wasabi almonds. no wonder the scale doesn't move downwards for me.
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Definatly nuts:noway: - around 420 a bag whenthey are so small and easy to get through as a 'healthy' snack, well pffft what I thought was a healthy snack! They are also very high in fat!

Fast food too!! Mcdonalds, ok I know its bad but not THAT many calories did I expect to see in the food there!! :noway:

:smile:
  • ExerciseGeek
    Options
    Definatly nuts:noway: - around 420 a bag whenthey are so small and easy to get through as a 'healthy' snack, well pffft what I thought was a healthy snack! They are also very high in fat!

Fast food too!! Mcdonalds, ok I know its bad but not THAT many calories did I expect to see in the food there!! :noway:

:smile:

Ohh and Forsters beer around 250 cals a pint :O
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think I said earlier on the Belgian seashells, 290 cals was given for "one serving size" ie 4 chocolates.
  • jesster64
    Options
    [/quote]

whoa!! lets not go crazy here. some things are worth the extra calories.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I'm not even getting into sodium... That's a whole different thread! I must say sushi! Specifically, spicy tuna rolls. I had not realized they had that much mayo in them!

Tuna rolls or just plain nigiri sushi isn't that bad. Anything with tempura or any kind of special sauce totally kills the calorie count!

I was surprised how many calories are in a martini. Or any liquor drink for that matter... :(
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    brown rice, i figured it would be relatively low in calories but it's over 200 for 1 cup.
  • ExerciseGeek
    Options

whoa!! lets not go crazy here. some things are worth the extra calories.
    [/quote]

Yeah trueeeee!!!:drinker:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely shocked by calorie content;it's sodium that often suprises me.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

oh really? phew!!!
    Hmmm...odd though, I checked the packet like a hundred times because I just found it unbelievable, and got my mum to read it to in case I was having a moment, and she read it as that too?!

I have a packet in front of me

546 cals per 100g, and each chocolate weighs 10.5g
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    Toffee Cookie from Panera- over 400 calories
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Any of the flavored coffee drinks - most are over 400 calories!

I never ordered them every day, but I use to have one every now and then as a treat. Not any more!
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    Muffins! I think 380 cals. was the lowest I've found, and most of the ones I like are 400-450 cals.! I had no idea; I used to have one as a snack most days!

:heart: -- Juliet