Asked my Trainer re eating back calories

Options
Hey everyone,
I know i have read over and over on here to eat back the calories you burn exercising and yes i have been. (most time) Even though i realy felt like it defeated the purpose of exercising.

Anyways my boot camp instructor is also a personal trainer and right into nutrition so i emailed her and asked her opinon on the eating back calories.
I copied her reply to anyone that is interested (it is a long reply) - if not interested in what she had to say please dont continue reading as i know there are a few on here who do not agree with eating back the calories not matter what is explained.

Here is my question and her reply.

Question:
I am on a program online (www.myfitnesspal.com) I put in everything I eat and also mark down my calories burned each day through exercise.

It is telling me to eat back my exercise calories I burned so my net does not fall below 1200 - which is my goal if I want to lose 2 lbs a week.
They said if I only eat 1200 a day and burn off say 600 that is only giving me a calorie intake of 600 for the day.
What do you suggest? I just hate to eat back all the calories I worked so hard to burn off – kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion?

Answer:
Great question! To start, I would like to clarify that eating 1200 calories to lose weight is fine for some people, and not others. It may be too low. So for those of you that are interested in calorie counting, you must check a program first like the one listed above, as the amount can be influenced with your activity level, your height, and your age.
When you're eating 1200 calories per day you would likely lose weight without exercise. So when you add exercise in there, and burn another 600 calories, you leave your body only 600 calories to use for energy throughout your day. This is not good. Not only will this make you tired and quite possibly *****y, but your body will start going into starvation mode. This is a fact my friends! Our bodies are absolutely brilliant, and we are made to survive. This is what our bodies want, and will do anything to obtain. Therefore, when you eat too little, your body will hang onto everything you eat...just in case it doesn't get enough calories today, and/or the next day. When you eat just enough calories for your body, your body will be satisfied, and will burn the calories for energy. This is what you want because this will also make you feel energized, and it will feed the muscles we are working so hard to get :) Therefore, when you workout, yes you want to replace the calories lost, and you want to replace it with healthy food choices and not look at it as an excuse to hit the Toonie Tuesday fast food restaurant on your way home. Working out is awesome for losing weight because there is a calorie deficit, but more importantly, it helps you relieve stress so you don't stress eat, and it also helps you build lean muscle so your body is strong and burning calories at rest all day long. Remember, every pound of muscle you have on your body, you burn and extra 50-100 calories doing nothing per day! If you want to get this lean muscle, you must eat back a proper amount of calories after our workouts. So no, you are not defeating the purpose by eating back some of the calories lost during a workout.

Another point I would like to make is that when people create a calorie deficit of course they're going to lose weight initially. You just need to be mindful how much of a deficit you've created. If it is too much of a deficit, you'll lose for a couple weeks, and you'll lose fast. The only thing is that it is not maintainable. You're body will start craving food like crazy, and when you start to feed yourself a proper amount of calories, your body will pack on pounds because it is scared that it will soon run into another famine, trying to survive on low calories. It will want to preserve the calories it is getting as a "safety net". Therefore, you want to lose weight by taking calories out in a smart way. This can simply be through healthy eating and exercise. Our workouts can burn anywhere from 300-800 calories per hour. This depends on how hard you work, your current weight, and the type of workout we do for that day. Another deficit you can create in a healthy way is through your food. Counting calories is a great way to show you portion control, so you start to learn what your body needs. I do believe that counting calories at the beginning of a weight loss journey is good as it teaches you about types of food and the calories they contain, along with the amount necessary for you. Portion control is great thing to learn in this day and age with "supersize this, and 2 for 1 that", because we have portion distortion when it comes to food. Nonetheless, if this is something that you can't find the time to do, or something you don't want to do forever, listening to your body is very important as well. If you're cutting back on your calories, working out, and are well hydrated but notice you're always tired, one of the reasons could be because you've cut out too many calories. Adding in an apple a day, or some cottage cheese could make the world of difference. Cookies don't usually fit the bill.

Overall, being mindful of the types of foods you eat while working out, is likely going to work for some as well. Kicking the late night snacking can slash a couple hundred calories a week - or more! Switching from double double coffee to black can cut back calories, opting for an actual piece of fruit compared to a glass of juice can make a difference. Make small changes that cut back calories in a smart way....don't overdo it and put your body into starvation mode. It will be the start of habitual yo-yo dieting. Yikes! Balance it out so it is a lifestyle you can maintain :)

Love the questions ladies - Let me know if you have any questions in regrads to the answer

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • etpx3
    etpx3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yayy thanks for this =)
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Finally we have a definitive answer from a nutrition professional that we can point anyone who asks to.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    This help me a lot!! I burn 500-800 calories a session. I try to not got over my 1200 even if I worked out! I am tired and I had no idea what net calories meant. Thanks :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Makes total sense to me. I totally agree with finding out truly what your BMR is so that you don't go to low. I got in some trouble when I first got on this site b/c I was set to 1290 and it turns out my BMR is 1802. Sent me into the dreaded S mode and still haven't recovered. It's a slow journey for sure but I'm confident with doing it the right way it'll work. :) At least I'll be in really good shape.
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thx for the info...
  • Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!! I love how your trainer explained this!
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    I've thought that same thing about eating back calories! Love the answer, now it makes quite a bit more sense! Thank you for sharing!!
  • elaine8255
    elaine8255 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Finally i understand! Thanks to your trainer for such a thorough reply.

LOL @ "Toonie Tuesday" reference. Canadian eh?
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Good Trainer!!!! :smile:
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I was questioning this too because I figured 1200 calories even with the workouts. It does make sense though after it was explained!
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Finally i understand! Thanks to your trainer for such a thorough reply.

LOL @ "Toonie Tuesday" reference. Canadian eh?

HAHA Yep Canadian
  • Midcoast_Mermaid
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! This is great information!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • tj5000
    tj5000 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What a great question and a fabulous answer! That has really helped me. Thank you so much for posting this!

:flowerforyou:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!