Asked my Trainer re eating back calories

Options

Replies

• santamommy
    Options
    This was simple to understand I like it!
  • thursdaythunderstorms
    Options
    this is great! thank you!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Very true! Love it. Thanks!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great info.

Thanks
  • spartacus69
    Options
    "starvation mode" which simply DOES NOT exist. Let me say it again - it does not exist - unless you are at a Nazi Concentration Camp and have been ritually denied basic sustenance for months and months on end.

Reference Ancel Keys' Minnesota starvation study, where the idea of 'starvation mode' came from. Men who ate at a 50% caloric deficit for 6 months showed a 40% reduction in metabolism. They ate approximately 1500 calories per day; hardly what we'd consider being "ritually denied basic sustenance."

Now, the idea of starvation mode has been greatly abused and misapplied (perhaps by the trainer in question,) but the research suggests it does indeed exist.
  • amandaew83
    amandaew83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Great explanation to this continually asked question!
  • KimsWeightloss
    Options
    Thank you very much for sharing! :smile:
  • kimberlycat1
    kimberlycat1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is great advise, I really enjoyed reading all this knowledge! Thanks!
  • ahersh00
    Options
    LOVE, love, LOVE this!!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode does exist unfortunately...I have thrown my body into it..and it sucks!!!
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    i really liked this post too and i dish out this advice ALL the time ... to eat back calories, however this post explains it all. This thread should be a keeper so people can refer to this answer forever and ever.

Moderators, please?

Thanks
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    BUMP for future reference.
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this info!!
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is interesting. Lots of words. Not sure it all make sense. One thing that bothers me is that she makes no reference to BMR (basal metabolic rate) which to me is a key component when you are talking weight management.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Good info
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    ..."starvation mode"... simply DOES NOT exist. Let me say it again - it does not exist - unless you are at a Nazi Concentration Camp and have been ritually denied basic sustenance for months and months on end...

I think maybe you don't have to go to quite those extremes to find people in starvation mode. I know a clinically obese person who was put on Optifast and drank nutrition in the form of a packet mixed with water and ice. Total calorie intake daily: 550 calories. This person weighed in the range of 480-500 pounds. My friend was asked to exercise for 30 min. a day, 3 days a week. This person was told maintaining this diet would put the body into ketosis, and this would cause the body to use stored calories (fat) rather than starve.

Now I cannot get this person to eat. Oh yes, s/he lost 100 lbs and stayed on it a year. But you cannot maintain that kind of diet for a year and NOT come out of it wanting to eat. A lot. So the lost weight returned, and now s/he's struggling again.

The whole argument of whether to eat back workout calories or not means a lot to people like my friend because s/he truly thinks you have to keep yourself to 400 or 500 calories a day in order to lose weight. By explaining things in terms of "starvation mode' it helps people understand, even if it isn't "technically" correct.

My friend is constantly tired. When s/he's not working, s/he's sleeping or wants to be. To me, this indicates that s/he is not getting nearly enough calories, and that until s/he gets a steady workout routine going where energy is being generated by burning calories, s/he needs to eat back workout calories and maintain the deficit that MFP recommends.

All that to say... isn't it possible that what is true for obese people may not be true for people who carry a healthier body mass index?
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    thanks! you just saved my dinner:)