Asked my Trainer re eating back calories

Options

Replies

• tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So many people don't understand this and it's so important for success. Thank you for posting!!!
  • yodapooper
    Options
    Thank you for finally setting us straight!! Hopefully now I can adjust myself to eating in a healthier way.:flowerforyou:
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ..."starvation mode"... simply DOES NOT exist. Let me say it again - it does not exist - unless you are at a Nazi Concentration Camp and have been ritually denied basic sustenance for months and months on end...
    No, but stifled metabolism is a reality for those on crash diets.
    That's what people mean by the absurd term "starvation mode".

Crash low-calorie diets are unhealthy which is why MFP recommends 1 pound per week, and says to EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES. MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

This is because MFP advising us to eat back those exercise calories.
    Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Think long term, and be wise.
    Exercise intensely, but eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking for all those who will continue to ask this question. Thanks for sharing!
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    thanks for sharing this!
  • sasbw27
    sasbw27 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, thanks!
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Granted 1,200 is quite low, but I'm surprised she supports the "starvation mode" myth. Although being a personal trainer only requires a six week course. Most articles I read give little credence to starvation mode, especially with people who have so much fat stores already. I eat about half my exercise cals back, but don't go off MFP estimates, i.e., "Running errands = 2,500 calories!" I'm curious if a lot of people are adding 2,000 calories for cleaning house for 1 hour (off MFP peer built database) and then going out for donuts. It's a fine line.

Agree
  • cbrewer904
    Options
    bump
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thank you for sharing.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! and bump of course :) so I can come back later :)
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    thank you so much! im sharing with all my friends
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump (:
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That was really beneficial to me, and makes total sense
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks for sharing when put that way it makes sense. I was one of those that don't always eat back my calories. However, if I am way under my calorie goal and I just can't eat another bite, I usually skip the workout because I can't stand it when it tells me I haven't eaten enough calories. Again thanks for sharing!!!
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.

I 100% agree with this! Thanks for sharing! Your body can run great on less calories that are clean then on more calories of junk!!!!
  • ChristinaDixon
    Options
    Good information! Thank you!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!! I am one not to eat my calories back, but sure as heck gonna change this back to the recommended and start eating what I burn to include the weight lifting I do as well...

Again thanks!!!
  • StrongandTender
    StrongandTender Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is really helpful. Thank you for posting it.