"Atkins Flu" SUCKS

Options
So I woke up this morning with a splitting headache. It is Day 3 of Induction on Atkins and my body is FIGHTING to get more carbs and sugar. The mild headache started yesterday afternoon, but it is really BAD today. I don't feel like doing anything. Any home remedies that won't bust my diet?

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 9 of low carb and man is it working, so stick with it. I've lost 7 pounds. For me the headaches, which mainly came in the afternoon, were helped by a little jolt of caffeine and, believe it or not, working out.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat?
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Wow..I would listen to my body....I think it is telling you to eat some good carbs! No judgement, just concern for you!
  • SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I replaced the carbs with protein and fat, as recommended by Atkins. Don't worry I'm following the diet the healthy way.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I did the Atkins plan five years ago, lost 20lbs on it within the first month , but I was miserable, I was cranky. and headachy all the time.
    Not all of those diets are good for everyone. Thats not to say they do not work for some, but each person is unique and what is good for one is not good for all.

but.... headache remedies that dont involve any ingestion, there are reflex pressure points in between your thumb and first finger.
    If you pinch the web of skin there, it can assist with headache pressure relief. (increase your water intake slightly as well unless you have a fluid restriction)
  • MargieNgainesville
    Options
    I'm thinking it's caffeene too! Caffeene will give you migrane type headaches! If that is it, the good news is that it will only last for another day or two, since it is the weekend if you can lay low, it will be better by Monday. I have suffered through these withdrawls about 3 major times over the years. Once it was so bad, I went to urgent care. Now days after doing lots of research and listening to my body, I don't think that caffeene is something I have to do without.

If it is not caffeene, then I don't have any suggestions. I agree with the other person, if your body chemistry and genetics are geared to more protein and healthy fats, THEN, Atkins (the new plan) or South Beach are the way to go. Some people respond better to high complex carps a.k.a. vegtables and whole grain products will only moderate protein. If you have had diet success before and/or are really intune with your body, then you will know what is right for you. Good Luck!
  • MargieNgainesville
    Options
    but.... headache remedies that dont involve any ingestion, there are reflex pressure points in between your thumb and first finger.
    If you pinch the web of skin there, it can assist with headache pressure relief. (increase your water intake slightly as well unless you have a fluid restriction)

Yes, Yes, Yes... I had forgotten about that.... Duh, I use it all of the time, it works. Massage your head at the sore points helps too.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I hate to come off as *****y here, but I'm going to be completely: you feel like crap because that is what you are putting in your body.

I realize that that is kind of the point of the original Atkins plan-- high fat, low carbs-- but this also means that you are barely eating any fruit, vegetables, complex carbs, etc......and instead you are pumping your body full of fats and preservatives.

Can you lose weight this way? Sure. Are you healthier for it? Absolutely not. Flipping through your diary, you can see that most days you are over a great deal on fat, and while you don't track it, I can imagine your sodium is through the roof. In the long run, you are doing unnatural, unhealthy things to your body :(

We were meant to eat a wide variety of whole foods. Your body is trying to tell you something here.....listen to it!!

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'm just putting my two cents in.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with Ral on this one. My parents did the Atkins diet last year for a month or so. My mom was CRANKY for that time period. I think anything that makes you more super sick or cranky is not worth it. I do like though that they encourage you to eat nuts, but that was the only thing I liked about it.

I do agree that too many carbs is not good. But I think the problem is that many people will sit down by the tv and eat half of a family sized bag of chips without thinking of it. Or simply eating 4-5 pancakes for breakfast is not good because you have carbs, and sugar if you add syrup. However, its not bad to eat a slice of whole grain toast (or heck, even one pancake) with peanut butter or fresh fruit.

We need fruits and veggies, and some carbs. Our bodies use them naturally. I know I saw a commercial about making atkins a lifestyle, but so much saturated fat and sodium is simply not good for you. I can not stick with such plans because they restrict too many of the things I love. I try to eat balanced meals that include a little bit from 3-4 food groups, and I am happy because I like what I'm eating. Example: my breakfast was one slice of toast, one slice of tomato, one egg and a slice of provolone cheese and coffee. It was so good.

If I can't eat what I like then I'm not likely to stick to the plan. If I can't stick to it, I'll probably gain the weight back. (my Dad did gain all his back after he stopped dieting.) My mom started doing what I'm doing, and now a year later she's down 35 pounds, and even though she's at her goal weight, she is still with this eating plan, she's just eating normal amount of calories.

You do what works for you, but I still say if it makes you sick or cranky its not good for you.
  • lodro
    Options
    And that is why the Atkins diet has carbs.
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    Ok you guys need to do more research or ask more questions. Like I said. I'm on day 3. Flipping through my diary beyond that point is just me starting to track what I'm eating so I can make changes. I was tracking sodium for a week and then took it off and started tracking fiber b/c I knew that was low. I don't add salt or butter to anything I eat. I used to chomp down a ton of carbs and sugary food whenever I felt like it. They didn't fill me up and I was craving them when I wasn't even hungry. I've chosen to break this addiction. My body is going through withdrawal. That's all. If I was coming off of drugs, you wouldn't tell me that I was putting crap in my body. Seriously, Ral, way to be encouraging there.

Atkins does have carbs, but it is a LOW carb diet. Headaches are normal during the first phase. Google it. The first two weeks are called Induction and carbs are limited to 20. Fat and Protein goes up, but mostly protein and the fats are only found in meats. I only eat lean meats: fish and chicken. The cheese and sausage has been where my fat is coming from. And I won't be buying more sausage once I run out anyway. And I intend to cut back on cheese big time. This page does not allow me to adjust the fat and carbs to super super low and not compensate with something. I made minor adjustments, but as long as I'm staying in my Atkins ranges, I'm not really that concerned about numbers turning red. Especially since those are minimums that I have to meet. Please tell me on the last 2 days of recording in my food diary where the crap was that you saw? Was it potato chips? NO. Was is ice cream? NO. Was it fast food? HECK NO! Everything on there....EVERYTHING I've put in my body the past two days was DOCTOR approved. Who are you to tell me about a medically approved diet for me? Diabetes is rampant in my family. Atkins is the appropriate choice to stop that disease now, when I'm only borderline.

Also Atkins does not encourage high sodium or fat. We're only supposed to measure out a 1/2 tsp of salt to use for the entire day. The fat is burned instead of the carbs. I'm ok with that. I'm retraining my body to burn fat. I'm ok with that too. You keep burning your carbs, I'm eliminating my carbs, so that my body will switch to burn fat. I'm definitely ok with THAT!

I was only asking for remedies for my headaches. If I want your two sense for my life choices, I'll be sure to ask.
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    Oh and carbs don't stay at 20...That's just the FIRST TWO WEEKS. Geez!!!
  • lodro
    Options
    seriously though, i'd throw out most of the atkins' bar/shake whatever replacement stuff, apart from the headaches.
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    Those are only meant for snacks. I did have way too much yesterday b/c I left my house at 7am and didn't get home until 11 pm. So yah, dinner was skipped. Most days I'll only have 1 of those snacks, if at all. I just didn't want to cheat and go to the snack bar at the event I was working.
  • lodro
    Options
    Those are only meant for snacks. I did have way too much yesterday b/c I left my house at 7am and didn't get home until 11 pm. So yah, dinner was skipped. Most days I'll only have 1 of those snacks, if at all. I just didn't want to cheat and go to the snack bar at the event I was working.

i know, it is convenient, however i found i was making my life much harder eating them: didn't react at all well to the alcohol sugars in them. nothing to do with the headache, I know, for those, i would just take caffeine and a painkiller.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Okay, I definitely don't need to "do more research"-- I'm studying Nutrition in University, they teach us a thing or two about properly eating and fueling your body. I never said you were adding salt to your diet or eating potato chips and ice cream--- but the "junk" I was referring to-- the JImmy Dean sausage, Velveeta Cheese, the Atkins brand stuff?? All that is either high in fat, high in salt or both, not to mention that the velveeta cheese and the Aktins foods are highly processed "fake" food.

You asked about remedies for your headaches; I responded because the fuel that you give your body is intrinsically tied to the way that your body will feel. Don't eat properly and you won't feel great. Just saying.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I didn't say that you were eating chips and goodies, I'm just saying that a lot of people are guilty of consuming them without thinking about it. Your diary was pretty good yesterday.

I know that if you stick to it, it will work And that its doctor approved, i read a good part of the book. I'm just saying that I personally don't think its that good to do something that makes you feel sick even if that is considered normal.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with Ral on this one. My parents did the Atkins diet last year for a month or so. My mom was CRANKY for that time period. I think anything that makes you more super sick or cranky is not worth it. I do like though that they encourage you to eat nuts, but that was the only thing I liked about it.

I do agree that too many carbs is not good. But I think the problem is that many people will sit down by the tv and eat half of a family sized bag of chips without thinking of it. Or simply eating 4-5 pancakes for breakfast is not good because you have carbs, and sugar if you add syrup. However, its not bad to eat a slice of whole grain toast (or heck, even one pancake) with peanut butter or fresh fruit.

We need fruits and veggies, and some carbs. Our bodies use them naturally. I know I saw a commercial about making atkins a lifestyle, but so much saturated fat and sodium is simply not good for you. I can not stick with such plans because they restrict too many of the things I love. I try to eat balanced meals that include a little bit from 3-4 food groups, and I am happy because I like what I'm eating. Example: my breakfast was one slice of toast, one slice of tomato, one egg and a slice of provolone cheese and coffee. It was so good.

If I can't eat what I like then I'm not likely to stick to the plan. If I can't stick to it, I'll probably gain the weight back. (my Dad did gain all his back after he stopped dieting.) My mom started doing what I'm doing, and now a year later she's down 35 pounds, and even though she's at her goal weight, she is still with this eating plan, she's just eating normal amount of calories.

You do what works for you, but I still say if it makes you sick or cranky its not good for you.

BEAUTIFUL Post Martha!! I agree with everything you just said. My husband is doing Atkins now, and of course I support him and encourage him, but for ME, I need all the food groups too, and "healthily."
    Thanks for your post. Perfect.
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    Agreed. Velveeta cheese = horribly processed fake food. No argument there. Sausage, though recommended by Atkins, still not normally a part of my diet. In fact I gave up all pork, shellfish and artificial sweeteners years ago. My husband is deployed and lots of the foods that he left behind still have to be eaten. I'm not throwing them away b/c that's the same as throwing money away...also not a healthy choice. :-) But I assure you, once they're gone, they'll be gone for good. And I'm eating them in very small amounts at a time. I didn't realize that 1 slice of cheese in a day was gonna totally do me in. Geez.

Oh, so you're STUDYING nutrition. Great! So are the rest of us. However my doctor...the one who went to school for many years, already graduated and has an M.D. at the end of his name. That's the one whose advice I'll take when he advises me to try the Atkins diet. Thankyouverymuch!

I'm not cutting out any food groups out at all. I'm scaling back tremendously on the ones that my body does not process like it should. My body does not react normally to sugar or the simple sugars in carbs. I switched to whole grain products years ago as well, but the past year I've thrown out a lot of good habits. I'm taking back control of my body. And I'm working toward a better future.

Martha, I did not take anything offensively by what you said, hun. I understand your opinion, being based on your experience is valid. Most of my defense is totally directed at Ral who blatantly attacked a medical and nutritional choice. Trust me with the past few years I've had medically, NOBODY has a right to judge the decisions between my doctor and me and my husband. Also, as of yet I'm not any crankier. Despite my standing up to myself to a nosy college kid, I'm actually quite pleasant today. LOL. If anything I'm in a better mood than I've been in weeks. But I think that's the working out. It feels good to be doing my body a favor again! :-)

I still have not turned around and tried to attack any of you. Please don't attack me. If you can't answer my question, move along. There is no reason to break down any of our peers on this site. We're all working toward a common goal: to be healthier human beings. You, Ral, might need to work on what comes out of your body instead of what goes in it. Just an unwelcome suggestion in return for your unwelcome feedback on my life choices.
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    Thanks for the caffeine suggestion. My headache is gone now, but if it returns, I'm gonna give it a try! :-) I think I remember being recommended chicken broth as well when I first read up on the diet.

Thanks!!!