"Atkins Flu" SUCKS

Options

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    A great resource is a website run by the guy who did the movie Fat Head (it's on Netflix Instant). He's done a lot of actual research (instead of just accepting what the FDA tells you) by reading those ridiculous studies. He has two kids and he talks about his frustration at the schools serving kids government approved breaded chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, skim chocolate milk (no fat but lots of sugar), and peaches in a sweet, thick syrup and then wondering why ADD and other diseases have increased so much in the 30 years since the government decided to tell people what they should eat (EAT CARBS -- NOT FAT!! GAH!!) And he's super upset when the various diabetes group push a high carb diet onto diabetes (JUST DON"T EAT FAT!!) when it's a well known fact that carbs raise the blood sugar level to higher levels than fat or protein.

Wish I could help you if you get any more headaches. Not sure how people seem to know that it's because of the low carb. I get headaches whether I'm eating high or low carb -- usually when I don't drink enough water or if I'm on the computer too long. I usually just turn off all the lights and rest in a quiet, dark room until it goes away. Obviously that's not always an option, but it helps.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Okay, I definitely don't need to "do more research"-- I'm studying Nutrition in University, they teach us a thing or two about properly eating and fueling your body. I never said you were adding salt to your diet or eating potato chips and ice cream--- but the "junk" I was referring to-- the JImmy Dean sausage, Velveeta Cheese, the Atkins brand stuff?? All that is either high in fat, high in salt or both, not to mention that the velveeta cheese and the Aktins foods are highly processed "fake" food.

You asked about remedies for your headaches; I responded because the fuel that you give your body is intrinsically tied to the way that your body will feel. Don't eat properly and you won't feel great. Just saying.
    [/quote

agreed! why treat a headache when you can prevent it. your body is giving you a pretty strong message here
  • SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! I just made this amazing pizza with a cauliflower egg crust. All veggies and fresh mozzarella. It was so yummy!!! I think I can get used to this, once I just relearn how to cook! I'm excited to learn how to use flaxseed!

And so far no more headaches since breakfast. I guess I just needed to get up and get moving...and eat something! :-)

I'm not really looking to replace the sausage b/c to be honest...I'm not a huge fan of pork. I'll be happy when it's out of my fridge! I did buy some turkey bacon, but I doubt I'll eat it too often. I have a feeling I'm going to get sick of eggs QUICKLY! So hopefully, I'll find some other breakfast foods.

Well I think I'm kinda done talking on this thread. I feel that I've expressed my thoughts and gotten some great ideas and encouragement for getting through the withdrawal period. I wish you ALL the best in your fitness and health endeavors!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Okay, I definitely don't need to "do more research"-- I'm studying Nutrition in University, they teach us a thing or two about properly eating and fueling your body. I never said you were adding salt to your diet or eating potato chips and ice cream--- but the "junk" I was referring to-- the JImmy Dean sausage, Velveeta Cheese, the Atkins brand stuff?? All that is either high in fat, high in salt or both, not to mention that the velveeta cheese and the Aktins foods are highly processed "fake" food.

You asked about remedies for your headaches; I responded because the fuel that you give your body is intrinsically tied to the way that your body will feel. Don't eat properly and you won't feel great. Just saying.
    [/quote

agreed! why treat a headache when you can prevent it. your body is giving you a pretty strong message here

So if you get a headache on a regular carb diet, does that mean that you should stop eating carbs? As though there is only one cause for all headaches?
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    lol wow.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    When I gave up my daily pop and snack cakes addiction, I got a headache every afternoon for a whole week. During that time, I was daydreaming about drinking a giant neverending milk shake or deep fried twinkies. It was CRAZY how I felt. I can't imagine cutting back carbs so dramatically and how my body would freak out. Atkins works for some people and not for others. My doctor advised me against any diet that extremely cut back or eliminated any food groups completely was something that I should avoid... so Atkins isn't something I'd do personally.

I do think there's something to "carb withdrawal" because I craved sugar like a crack fiend twitching for his next score. Hopefully Atkins works well for you. Most people I know who did it end up quitting and gained all their weight back.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Wow. You seem awfully, awfully defensive. You did realize there are a lot of people, including doctors (although you say yours is on-board) who condemn the Adkins diet, correct? This should not have been a surprise to you that people would suggest you reconsider. It is not an "attack" as you claim, but advice. Isn't that why you came here? Advice?

yes, advice for a headache, LOL.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    slightly off topic, but I thought the atkins products like the snack bars weren't good for your induction period. I remember reading it on one of their forums, but its been a while.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So I woke up this morning with a splitting headache. It is Day 3 of Induction on Atkins and my body is FIGHTING to get more carbs and sugar. The mild headache started yesterday afternoon, but it is really BAD today. I don't feel like doing anything. Any home remedies that won't bust my diet?

Honey, pain is the body's way of telling you it's experiencing harm. You have a splitting headache because you need nutrients - specifically carbs. I tried Atkins twice and both times I had three day migraines. If you have a two day headache that is getting worse, you are not doing something good for your body. Your body is reacting to this as an attack, rather than a healthy shift in diet.

I ran my experience with Atkins by my doctor and she gave me that look - the one moms give their kids when they do something really, really foolish. "Why would you do that to yourself twice?" she said. "Once wasn't bad enough? Any diet that says you can't eat fruit is bad for you. Period." Then she showed me the scientific studies on what Atkins does to your metabolism and your brain. Did you know long term carb deprivation causes holes to form in your brain? Literally.

Bottom line - eat some fruit and brown rice. Choose low glycemic index foods, not highly processed carbs. Take a few vitamins and a banana to up your potassium and prevent muscle cramps and get some good exercise. (I bet you can't exercise while your in pain, right?) And put an ice pack on your head.

Feel better soon. Remember, this isn't about a diet. It's about healthy lifestyle. We're here with you!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The thing that angers me is the people who condemn Atkins the most are the ones who understand it the least. People hear "Atkins" or "low-carb" and immediately freak out. ZOMG NO CARBS! YOU'RE GONNA DESTROY YOUR KIDNEYS! That's not how the diet works.

Not really. I read the whole book through twice and checked it against the other scientific research. I also discussed it with my doctor and a friend who's a professor of nutrition and kinesiology. I also tried the Atkins diet twice and I followed the rules religiously. My younger brother did the same thing (he's a scientist so he treated it like a science experiment) and found the same things. Our conclusion was that it's not a good idea for long term health.

But why defend Atkins so vociferously or attack the intellectual integrity of its detractors? It's not a personal attack to say that a diet is scientifically questionable. I'm not condemning the personal integrity or intellect of anyone who uses the Atkins diet, I'm just saying my conclusions have been that it's not a good idea. Do your own research and if you disagree, then do something different than I did. No problem. It's your body. Do what you like with it.
  • fitzthecool
    Options
    Wow. You seem awfully, awfully defensive. You did realize there are a lot of people, including doctors (although you say yours is on-board) who condemn the Adkins diet, correct? This should not have been a surprise to you that people would suggest you reconsider. It is not an "attack" as you claim, but advice. Isn't that why you came here? Advice?

And people are suggesting the headache is from the diet, and a sign that the diet needs to change. It's not a separate topic.
  • JackboyE
    JackboyE Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ahh, thread starter, I hope you read this.

Atkins isn't that fantastic.

Please please please read into CKD aka Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.

The idea is that you're on atkins for 5.5 days a week and 1.5 days are spent carbing up. Carbing up is where you CAN go off the rails, eat what the hell you want. It's mainly a bodybuilding diet because the idea is to maintain muscle mass and still lose fat but the reason it's so good is because you can reward your hard work with carbohydrates.

If you've read up on it and decide you like the sound of it then feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    So you can have a sausage but not an apple?

:laugh:

Rock on with yourself!

And honestly, how can people give you advice about how to help a headache. You are smart enough to know to take something since you don't want to change your diet. Up the water, I guess. See a doctor. I don't know. Those are things you do when you have a headache.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

And people are suggesting the headache is from the diet, and a sign that the diet needs to change. It's not a separate topic.

ah, causality, such a beautiful and little understood thing.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options

umm...no where have I found jimmy dean sausage and Velveeta cheese on the Atkins menu plan???? It is a low carb, and like anything else you do to cleanse your body....you get symptoms....Anyone done a herbal detox lately??? Headaches are the one most common side effect..as well as a feeling of "flu like" symptoms...that must be bad.....As a nutritionalist, or studying nutritionalist, you have not studied Atkins...Unless you go to a special school....I am not saying any of this because I am trying to be a bag, I am saying this because judgement when not asked is simply rude....I am so tired of seeing RUDE on this site... A person learns something so they think they know everything, or they don't know something and they assume and they think that their opinion is needed on a topic they were not asked about......DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, frustration...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as the Adkins Diet................There is the Atkins Nutritional Approach and actually not too many doctors condemn it. It is an elimination plan in the beginning and then slowly adding back in the veggie, fruit, nuts, beans, legumes, grains and dairy in a controlled manner so that you can see how your body reacts to each food. This allows EACH indvidual person to find if they have any food intolerances.

There are more "people" in the general population that condemn Atkins than any doctor. The reason being is they truly don't want to change their eating habits and use the whole "everything in moderation" excuse. In fact, there are more and more doctors suggesting the Atkins Nutritional Approach for those with Metabolic, Endocrine and Autoimmune disorders.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    A great resource is a website run by the guy who did the movie Fat Head (it's on Netflix Instant). He's done a lot of actual research (instead of just accepting what the FDA tells you) by reading those ridiculous studies. He has two kids and he talks about his frustration at the schools serving kids government approved breaded chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, skim chocolate milk (no fat but lots of sugar), and peaches in a sweet, thick syrup and then wondering why ADD and other diseases have increased so much in the 30 years since the government decided to tell people what they should eat (EAT CARBS -- NOT FAT!! GAH!!) And he's super upset when the various diabetes group push a high carb diet onto diabetes (JUST DON"T EAT FAT!!) when it's a well known fact that carbs raise the blood sugar level to higher levels than fat or protein.

I agree! Fat Head film and blog are great sources for easily explained (and entertainingly) info. And Tom Naughton really knows his stuff, he reads and sites real studies, and makes clear no-bs conclusions.
  • irishkittykatt
    Options
    People seem to have a knee jerk reaction when they hear "Atkins". But I'm sure there would be no argument if I said I'm cutting out processed foods and refined sugar and eating healthy proteins, vegetables, fruits (yes fruits!,) nuts, and whole grains. Guess what? That's the "Atkins" diet I'm on. I completely agree we need to listen to our bodies, but I also think that any sudden change, even a positive one such as switching from an unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one, can temporarily upset the body and make us feel yucky. I'm hoping that the more negative responses are out of genuine, however ill informed, concern.

Just my two cents =)

Take care. Best wishes to all.
  • Meganne1982
    Options

There is no such thing as the Adkins Diet................There is the Atkins Nutritional Approach and actually not too many doctors condemn it. It is an elimination plan in the beginning and then slowly adding back in the veggie, fruit, nuts, beans, legumes, grains and dairy in a controlled manner so that you can see how your body reacts to each food. This allows EACH indvidual person to find if they have any food intolerances.

There are more "people" in the general population that condemn Atkins than any doctor. The reason being is they truly don't want to change their eating habits and use the whole "everything in moderation" excuse. In fact, there are more and more doctors suggesting the Atkins Nutritional Approach for those with Metabolic, Endocrine and Autoimmune disorders.

Grokette, I love you.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    People seem to have a knee jerk reaction when they hear "Atkins". But I'm sure there would be no argument if I said I'm cutting out processed foods and refined sugar and eating healthy proteins, vegetables, fruits (yes fruits!,) nuts, and whole grains.

I've never followed the Atkins plan, but eat low-carb, and to avoid the typical reactions to what I choose to put into my body, I pretty much say exactly that :)