5-7 people for running support, motivation, encouragement

Options

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    What a girl has to do is describe the BolderBoulder, I guess!! That sounds like a blast!!!

Baby steps for me now... What is your favorite color (madori and Trent) ?? I'll wear something of each color and do 5 k in tribute - and try to get a pic to post! He he ... That sounds like fun. If anyone takes your pic in the actual race, post up!!! :)

Hmm - I always have trouble picking one "favorite" color... lol. But for now we'll say blue. I don't know that I'll get a picture because I'm by myself and don't really want to have any extra "stuff" with me (camera, etc.) but I'll get someone to take my picture with my number when I get home.

I ended up not running as much as planned tonight because my knee is a bit sore, all of a sudden. I jogged a mile, but didn't want to do anything to screw it up before the race, so I switched over to the elliptical after that. Tomorrow - a pre-race massage! :drinker: I'm so excited. I had one a month ago and it was fantastic - hopefully it will relax my muscles a bit so I can go into the race feeling my best. Working a desk job, I tend to get a bit (aka - a LOT) tense in my upper back, which affects me when I run sometimes.
  • mymadori
    mymadori Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Smiles, my favorite color is red. Representing Trenton and I, you're going to look quite patriotic. :-)

Trenton, you and I seem very similar, except I like to get post-race massages instead of pre-race. I use it as a motivator to finish my race...just knowing there's a massage table waiting for me as a reward is quite motivating.

Sometimes the company putting on the race actually has professional photographers that get everyone's pics and post them up on a website for you to download and/or purchase. Think of it like those ones they show you when you get off a roller coaster. LOL. If they don't do that, I'll probably just have someone take a pic of me with my cell phone.

Alright, 11 o'clock and I need to be leaving here at like 6:30 am...so I need to head to bed.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    So my race was fabulous - I think I finished between 60 and 65 minutes, though the official times aren't posted yet. I definitely finished in under 70, which was my goal. This is my best race yet! I was actually able to run the whole thing, which wasn't planned. I just found my groove and stuck to it. It really helped that I found a couple of guys to follow for the entire last half of the race who were going a good pace. They made it look easy... lol... they were chatting and looked like they were just out for a casual stroll... but it was a good 'challenge' pace for me, so whatever works! Here's a pic of me after the race, once I got home. I'll post a more detailed entry on my blog about the experience later...

ColoradoMarathon10k.jpg
  • mymadori
    Options
    Congrats Trenton! That's awesome! Don't you just love it when you surpass your own expectations? :-)

My race was a blast. We ran the whole way and kept a pretty good pace throughout. Miles 1 and 2 were easy, mile 3 took a little effort, mile four was challenging, and mile five about killed me. I was pleasantly surprised when they posted our race times. I finished significantly faster than I thought. Five miles in 50:29, so about a 10:06 pace. This doesn't come anywhere near my record pace, but is a great time for being it was my first race of the year and I've done so little running recently.

There were 373 women in my division (ages 30-34), and I finished in 190th place out of them, so roughly right about the middle of the pack.

We kept forgetting to take any pictures- but they did have those photo professional dudes there, so as soon as they post the pics, I'll share one here.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Quick update - so my official time was 1:02:49, which is just under a 10:08 pace. My best race pace yet (not that I've done many races...) I went ahead and signed up for my next 10k, the one at the end of May in Boulder, so it'll be fun to compare times.

mymadori - Great job!! :)
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Quick update - so my official time was 1:02:49, which is just under a 10:08 pace. My best race pace yet (not that I've done many races...) I went ahead and signed up for my next 10k, the one at the end of May in Boulder, so it'll be fun to compare times.

mymadori - Great job!! :)
    Awesome job!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Anyone got any fun running plans this week??

I'm taking it a little easy after my 10k - jogged/walked about 2miles last night, and I'll be doing some HIIT running tonight (a 15-20 min session). Thursday I'll do a 3 mile run, and Saturday I'll do a 4 mile run. (Saturdays are normally my "long" run days.)

I'm going to try to create a structured exercise routine to follow (6 days/week, mix of cardio, strength & HIIT), for a few reasons:
    1) I need to get back on track (I was off the wagon for at least half of this year to date), and
    2) I want to see if I can improve my 10k time when I run my next 10k on Memorial Day. I'd love to be able to run it at under a 10 min/mile pace, which would mean shaving at least 8 seconds/mile off my time. My "stretch" goal would be to run it in an hour or less (9:40/mile pace or less).
  • tlcAK
    Options
    Well after my knee flare up I'm also taking it easy. Doing the C25K route to work my knee back up (ice is my friend) so on the days that I don't do that I just walk. Now I'm kinda doing the same as accountant_boi. I'm making a routine, even at work. I found out today that there are 72 steps in my building so I plan to do that once a week, yoga once a week, walking/jogging 3x a week (minimum), p90x once a week ( I know its suppose to be everyday but holy crap I'm just not ready for that I've got to be able to pick up my baby) and then a day to do what ever I want. So the break down
    D1 yoga
    D2 jogging
    D3 stairs
    D4 jogging
    D5 p90x
    D6 jogging
    D7 ....whatever I want :)

I've got a 5K coming up in June so I'm hoping my knee will allow me to do it! Good luck everyone
  • mymadori
    Options
    You guys totally rock. I am getting signed up for the BolderBoulder today. I have the same goal as Trenton- I want to finish in less than an hour. I have no set schedule for working out, life always seems to get in the way. I just know that I need to run more if I want to have any hope of reaching my goals.

I might get in an hour or so on the treadmill tonight, we'll see.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I ran some HIIT intervals for the first time last night - that sure was a challenge! I alternated between running a minute at 8 mph and slow-jogging two minutes at 4 mph, for a total of about 20 minutes. I think I might be able to up that to 8.5 mph and 4.5 or 5, respectively. I'm aiming to do one of these workouts each week.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would like to join too. :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You guys totally rock. I am getting signed up for the BolderBoulder today. I have the same goal as Trenton- I want to finish in less than an hour. I have no set schedule for working out, life always seems to get in the way. I just know that I need to run more if I want to have any hope of reaching my goals.

Hey - I'm doing the Bolder Boulder too! I'd like to do at least an 8:30 pace but I live in WA state and I don't know how the altitude is going to affect me. I'm used to having all this oxygen around.....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Hey - I'm doing the Bolder Boulder too! I'd like to do at least an 8:30 pace but I live in WA state and I don't know how the altitude is going to affect me. I'm used to having all this oxygen around.....

Wow - I'm sure even with the altitude you'll blow me away... lol. I was thrilled with my recent 10:07 pace, and my goal is a 10:00 or less pace for the Boulder-Boulder.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome - Great job in your races...
    It's been raining here for a few days so I haven't been out for a jog.

But last night.. I finally got back at it, and completed C25k W5D2.
    First 4km lap I did W5D1 to refresh - and then 2nd lap I did W5D2.
    I couldn't believe it, but I held up 8 min non stop both times.

1 month or so ago, I could barely keep 3 mins non stop.
    A great NSV for me today.
    62 mins for 8kms, so I'm well behind you all with a 12 min/mile pace.
    This does include 5 min walk sessions though.:smile:

Everyone have a great day.
  • mymadori
    Options

Hey Shelly, I'm sure you'll do just fine! I know there are some people that are really affected by it, but for the most part, I think people do okay with it because the air quality is actually pretty good.

I'd love to do an 8:30 pace...someday. I did one race in July last year, where I ran 4 miles and came in at a pace of 8:59, but I am quite certain I couldn't come anywhere near that right now.
  • mymadori
    Options
    Thumper- Great job! I love when I'm making progress and I can start to see the benefits...just being able to run a little harder or a little longer is such a great achievement.

Well, my partner for the BolderBoulder backed out on me. But have no fear- I believe I have found another. LOL.

Warning- to those of you who have not run the BolderBoulder before... you MUST leave to get there HOURS before your start time. Last year I had like an 8:30 wave time and my cousin and I decided that we'd catch the RTD bus at a park and ride station rather than trying to battle for parking. We left my house (about 30 minutes east of Boulder) at 6:00 a.m. There was a line to get on a bus that took 30 minutes to get through, and the traffic in Boulder was so atrocious, that by the time we actually got to the starting line we had 10 seconds before go time! With over 100,000 additional people in one little part of the city (runners and spectators), it's nuts.

One more word of advice. If you haven't done so already, go to the BolderBoulder website. Go under Race info> Race Day Info> Course video. Watching that video of what the course will be proved very helpful for me.

I can hardly wait to hear what you guys think of it!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    You guys are awesome - Great job in your races...
    It's been raining here for a few days so I haven't been out for a jog.

But last night.. I finally got back at it, and completed C25k W5D2.
    First 4km lap I did W5D1 to refresh - and then 2nd lap I did W5D2.
    I couldn't believe it, but I held up 8 min non stop both times.

1 month or so ago, I could barely keep 3 mins non stop.
    A great NSV for me today.
    62 mins for 8kms, so I'm well behind you all with a 12 min/mile pace.
    This does include 5 min walk sessions though.:smile:

Everyone have a great day.

Sounds like you're doing awesome!! I'm thoroughly impressed that you're doing 8km on week 5 of C25K. At 12 min/mile that includes walking segments, that tells me that you must be running at a decent pace. :drinker:

Anyone have running plans this weekend? Originally I was just going to do a 4 mile run on Saturday, but I'm feeling a bit motivated right now - if I'm still feeling this way on Saturday morning I think I'll try for another 10k around my neighborhood... maybe I'll push to go 6.5 miles. (Gotta run before it gets too hot, though - supposed to hit the 80s this weekend!) I've heard the BoulderBoulder has some hills in the course, so I need to work on my long-distance-with-hills abilities. Luckily my neighborhood has some pretty "good" (or bad, depending on your perspective!) hills I can run on (I've been running on, but not super regularly). Maybe I'll take a picture from the top of this one that's a steady upwards climb for about half a mile.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Warning- to those of you who have not run the BolderBoulder before... you MUST leave to get there HOURS before your start time. Last year I had like an 8:30 wave time and my cousin and I decided that we'd catch the RTD bus at a park and ride station rather than trying to battle for parking. We left my house (about 30 minutes east of Boulder) at 6:00 a.m. There was a line to get on a bus that took 30 minutes to get through, and the traffic in Boulder was so atrocious, that by the time we actually got to the starting line we had 10 seconds before go time! With over 100,000 additional people in one little part of the city (runners and spectators), it's nuts.

One more word of advice. If you haven't done so already, go to the BolderBoulder website. Go under Race info> Race Day Info> Course video. Watching that video of what the course will be proved very helpful for me.

I can hardly wait to hear what you guys think of it!

Thanks for the info - I'll be taking an RTD bus from one of the Denver park n'rides. Knowing how anal I am about being on time (or early) I'll probably just plan to take one of the earlier buses.

I'll definitely watch that video when I get a chance - thanks for pointing it out!
  • mymadori
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

I just had to come in and share.

We have a local sports station, 104.3 The Fan. One of their DJs is running the Colfax Marathon in Denver next weekend, and at the beginning of this week he shared that he wanted to pull together some listeners to be part of the official Fan Marathon Relay Team. Long story short I responded on facebook and today they picked me!!!

I get to go to the radio station next week and figure out the logistics (who is running which leg) and meet all of the radio station employees who are also participating. I am super excited to meet all these local sports personalities who I listen to every day!

So, I'll be running a leg that is somewhere from 3-7 miles long...I'll find out on Tuesday which one. The race is next weekend...EEK!!! I guess I better get in a few more training runs!

Talk about motivation!
  • tlcAK
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

I just had to come in and share.

We have a local sports station, 104.3 The Fan. One of their DJs is running the Colfax Marathon in Denver next weekend, and at the beginning of this week he shared that he wanted to pull together some listeners to be part of the official Fan Marathon Relay Team. Long story short I responded on facebook and today they picked me!!!

I get to go to the radio station next week and figure out the logistics (who is running which leg) and meet all of the radio station employees who are also participating. I am super excited to meet all these local sports personalities who I listen to every day!

So, I'll be running a leg that is somewhere from 3-7 miles long...I'll find out on Tuesday which one. The race is next weekend...EEK!!! I guess I better get in a few more training runs!

Talk about motivation!

So cool! You'll have to tell us how you do!