"Fat" clothes - keep em or burn em

Options

Replies

• Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Donation does seem to be a good idea. I'll keep one pair as a reminder of where I was and where I never want to return.:smokin:
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Every item will go to be donated except my wedding dress.... That I get to get in and take pictures of it falling off lol
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I will give them away more than likely. My mom, sister, neighbor, aunt...Any of them will be happy to take them. I definitely won't keep them, but I do plan on doing something similar. Maybe not stand in one leg, but I will take a picture of me in them when I reach my goal.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    donate - except for one outfit that I felt my fattest in. That way, if it's hanging in my closet, it will remind me of where I never want to go back to again.
  • bfh123
    bfh123 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds 5 years ago (gained about 40 of it back which is what I'm working on this time) and I got rid of it all except one pair of jeans. It motivates me to never get to that point again.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I kept the outfit that I was wearing when I had my aha moment. It will stay. As a reminder of that feeling. The outfit I hated wearing but it was the only thing I could find in my size, burns! Suits, dress clothes, work appropriate attire goes to "Dress for Success." They are a program that helps woman get back into the work force or in it for the first time. One of the things they do is teach gals how to dress for work and interviews. Everything else goes to the battered women's shelter as well as the clothes that my kids have outgrown. Goodwill is always a good choice. I just really wanted to know that I could turn my old pain into someone else's fresh start!
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    With all of my former weight loss attempts, I would keep my larger sized clothes because deep down, I knew that the weight loss would not stick and soon, I would need those clothes again.

This time, it's a lifestyle change and not a 'diet'. It just feels different. I feel more in control of my choices. I started a food diary in June of 2010 (switch to MFP in August) and have not missed a day since.

So long story - I hold on to my larger sizes as long as I can, then I either take them to a tailor to be altered (if it's something I really love) or I donate them to Goodwill.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I donated mine.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them asap!!!! But donate to a good cause for the less fortunate
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    I donated all my upper sized clothes this time, because I never want to see that size again. I lost 45 lbs in 2005 and kept my "fat" clothes and then gained it all back and more and did not even realize what I was doing. This time I will not have anything to wear if I gain weight. This last round of clothes are going to my sister and once I am out of the next size I will be back to donating again. I did not keep anything that was from my former self, and I wish I had. I can say that I will never get rid of my wedding dress and it will be way to big if not already.
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have some nice tunics from White House Black Market that will be nice for pregnancy. I'll probably keep at least 1 pair of pants to remind myself how big I let myself get.

For the rest, I have a seam ripper & a sewing machine so I'm going to try making them smaller. I don't have a lot of experience with this so if I mess up, no big deal. If it works out, awesome because I won't have to spend so much money on new clothes.
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,619 Member
    Options
    I donated all my upper sized clothes this time, because I never want to see that size again. I lost 45 lbs in 2005 and kept my "fat" clothes and then gained it all back and more and did not even realize what I was doing. This time I will not have anything to wear if I gain weight. This last round of clothes are going to my sister and once I am out of the next size I will be back to donating again. I did not keep anything that was from my former self, and I wish I had. I can say that I will never get rid of my wedding dress and it will be way to big if not already.

I've done the same thing - either had to go out and buy new larger sizes or pulled the old fat clothes out of the back closet to put on again. So depressing and, frankly, just increased my comfort eating and made me gain even more weight.

This time, as soon as the season changes, I donate the previous season's larger sizes. I haven't kept anything. I don't want to remember how big I used to be. I'm letting go of thinking of myself that way. I like the way I look and feel and that's what I'm celebrating.

My goal is to fit into everything I own (I have an entire wardrobe in the basement waiting for the last 15 pounds to go) which means not keeping anything that is too big for me.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I would keep a pair of pants and a shirt from my heaviest and also from my mid-way point for inspiration on the days that I feel "fat". Let them serve as a reminder of where you started and where you are now. They should always be motivation to make the right choices!!! Congrats on your success :flowerforyou:
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I donated my skinny jeans last week. I guess I was at the hopeless point & was sick of the muffin top effect. Oh well it's a reward to go shopping for new. Donate to a shelter, definitely!
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    donate
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    take a picture of them to keep as a reminder to never go there again- then donate
  • babytmarie27
    Options
    Burn them! LOL Your weight loss is truly amazing and inspiring! I gain and then lose 30lbs over and over every 6mo. and keeping the fat clothes just confirms that I know I will need them again. Now my career path requires a certain fitness level and weight so I have to get off this roller coaster. Keep up the good work!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I donate them as they get too big... I don't EVER want to see them again!!!
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Since I have lost 57 pounds, I haven't yet got rid of anything. I do eventually plan on going through my closet and weeding through things. Seems that I am bypassing a lot of my plus size clothes that are brand new and were too small before I started this journey. I will probally sell the new things with tags on Ebay. I really do need to get rid of all my plus size mens T-shirts, they are so worn and just look way to baggy, I look like a rag a muffin when I wear them! LOL time to go and good riddance! Its so nice to be able to finally fit into some of those new clothes that I had hanging in my closet that were too small, I always bought cute, too small clothes in the hopes that one day I would lose the weight. It's FINALLY happening! Donating the rest to the Good Will.
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    donated all mine, kept 2 pairs of my largest as a reminder of how I never want to be again!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!