OKAY...I REALLY need some suggestions!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• hasselh
    hasselh Posts: 29
    Options
    This is my #1 problem as well. I have tried almost all things suggested by other members...I drink water endlessly, eat all the right foods (veggies, fruits, fiber), and drink coffee (i'm addicted!). I finally went to the doctor and had a gi run just to make sure there was not some type of blockage and was prescribed amitiza (non habit forming). It works and is controlled. I use it only when I go more than 5 days without - you know. I do not take medication on a regular basis...I don't even like taking tylenol...but I had to admit this was needed and has made me fell so much better.
    I recommend like others you see your doctor - but first document what you are eating, days between, and time of day. Those are the questions my dr. asked I do before he would run a gi.
    Good luck - it's no fun.
  • littlebird
    littlebird Posts: 14
    Options
    wow... you have a lot of answers already, so I'm not sure if I can answer with something new, but I was plagued with this problem of late and I can definitely vouch for the Acidophilous tablets. I take them every morning now and I have not had any more problems.

I think the lady with the pineapple and the mango, too, may be relieved because of the enzymes in the fruit. You can buy enzyme supplements too.

Water, water, water! If you are dehydrated, you will not go easily.

Weird tip of the day..... my husband always tells me to stand in a very old barn. It always makes him want to go......!!

I hope you feel better soon!!
  • veedee
    veedee Posts: 26
    Options
    When my kids were little and they had diarrahea the doctor told me to feed them the BRAT diet, Bananas, Rice, Apples and Toast to stop them up, so it makes sense that they could be binding. When my daughter started eating Activia yogurt once daily she became very regular. It is worth a try. I also take a flax seed oil capsue once daily and I think it helps. Hope this is helpful.
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    Should I really stay away from bananas and apples?? Anyone know?

I would. I was always told that if you have the opposite of your problem (going too often...) that you should eat a banana, rice, or applesauce to slow things down.That being said, maybe lay off the 'nanas for a while and see if that helps.

I know that apples contain Sorbitol, which is a natural non-stimulant laxative, so I wouldnt avoid those.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up for others...some of these suggestions really helped me!