PLEASE educate yourselves!

Options
**warning** This is probably going to offend some people... you've been warned, so do NOT proceed to tell me off, ok?!

I have been reading through random blogs and posts in the forums lately and, as a nurse, I am completely SHOCKED at how (pardon me) dumb people are! I completely understand that not everyone has had any sort of formal medical training, but some of this stuff is common sense people!
You have to take care of YOU! You're doctors and health care professionals are not going to seek you out and beg you to let them do an exam! If you're having a problem, GO TO THE DOCTOR. If you're not getting the answers you're seeking, ask yourself if you're asking the right questions or if you've been totally honest with your provider.

NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE CARE OF YOU FOR YOU!
As doctors and nurses it is not our job to tell you what is wrong with you, it our job to listen to what your saying, and THEN test and work from there to find an answer... if you're not saying anything/the right things/getting checked out at all... how do you expect to get any answers??

The top 3 things I've seen in blogs and posts repeatedly that blow my mind are:
1. TOM is all messed up, cycles are screwy/too short/too long/not happening at all and the women, and the people who respond to them just say things like "oh well, I guess it will work itself out!" REALLY?! When something is going wrong, it's your body's way of telling you it can't fix it on its own. GO TO THE DOCTOR. These could be signs of SERIOUS health problems! THINK PEOPLE!!!

2. "I don't take my blood pressure medicine cuz I don't like the way it makes me feel." REALLY?! Are you gonna like the way you feel when you have a stroke and die?! Seriously people, if the doctor puts you on a med for something, no matter what it is, TAKE THE DAMN MEDICATION. You can NOT just blatantly stop taking a med because you don't feel like taking it! SERIOUSLY! The effects of abruptly stopping a medication can be dangerous! LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS PLEASE!

3. "My doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm just gonna do my own thing" (obviously that's more of a paraphrase but you get the idea) Thos eof you who say that will probably be the same person to sue the doctor when you have a stroke/heart attack/go into a diabetic coma/or whatever else because you're always the ones that blame EVERYONE else for your own mistakes! They don't hand out medical degrees at the McDonalds drive through people. You're doctor is an educated person... odds are if he/she is telling you something/prescribing a med or treatment, it's probably in your best interest to follow the doctors orders. If you don't, FINE, but don't ***** about it when you are sicker/worse off in a couple months then you were when you started!!!

and one more thing... all of you diabetics and people with high blood pressure, just because you take your medicine doesn't mean you don't have to change your eating habits and lifestyle! So you took your metformin this morning like you're supposed to... that does not mean it's ok to have a freaking candy bar at lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but it's SO frustrating, almost impossible, to be a healthcare worker and NOT scream and yell and throw a fit when you see this stuff!!!!!

End rant.

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Haha eXcellent! :laugh:
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it just helps to let it all hang out.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    hey i totally agree with uand some of the things i read boggle my mind
  • BlkStool
    BlkStool Posts: 13
    Options
    Ummm... This is amazing. You have compelled me to make my first post. Well done.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    tell us how you really feel.....lol.....oh my
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Good sound advice, regardless of how it came across lol!

However, each person walks at his and her own pace, in his or her own shoes, in his or her own time. For those who have the knowledge (and encounter many on here who don't) this is a test of patience, compassion, kindness, support and love.
  • mingermany
    Options
    Good post. However, I will add that it is sometimes wise to seek a second opinion if you feel that what your doctor is saying or prescribing to you doesn't feel right.
  • susancelli928
    Options
    So true!!!
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Totally AWESOME!!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    your thing about not handing out degrees at mcdonalds made me laugh hehe
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yay!! I see a lot of this.

I also see people exercising themselves into the ground while eating almost nothing. Then they wonder why they get exhausted, depressed and they ache and hurt and don't feel right.

Your body lets you know when something is going on. You just have to listen to it.

I think you should respond to them. Maybe if they see a nurse giving them advice they will take it.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm often shocked by the ease with which rumours spread on these forums that X is good for Y or perhaps try Z. No citations, no references... just plain old rumour! Might be dangerous! Makes me worry a lot about it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I was recently having lunch with someone a few weeks back who had been put on some sort of low sodium diet....He's got pretty bad health and in very very early 60's. Keep in mind I'm 31, so there's quite an age difference...2 generations difference!!

He was talking about this low sodium diet and then I looked up what he was eating (Ruby Tuesday...all of it is in MFP) and whatever it was, had over the daily amount of sodium for an average person. He had no idea and I wasn't about to ruin his dinner. Not that a 60 year old will listen to a 30 year old anyway. It's like trying to tell your parents how to budget because they never learned.

Some things I notice on here which are asked numerous times daily can easily be answered by using the search feature.
    I couldn't agree more that people need to educate themselves but...everyone wants the easy way out....take a pill...wait for someone to save them etc.
  • DebbieLaviolette
    DebbieLaviolette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT!!!! As someone told me the other day STOP BLAMING EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING ELSE AND LOOK IN THE MIRROR.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse too, and I TOTALLY agree with you. Every person on MFP should read this.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I'm my own doctor. I have a medicine bag of:

2 chicken lips
    8 pig wings
    4 frogs teeth
    feathers from a Chilan sea bass
    Fur from a naked mole rat

I toss them over my shoulder three times read them and average out their tell. I know exactly how I'm doing. So far there are 'no known errors'.

:bigsmile: :tongue: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thank you for laying it out there. I agree Education is an ongoing process and people need to do more of it.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    - Your gonna have to realize that you posted your opinion and people ARE going to have their opinion. You don't post something like that said say.... Don't be mad. Sorry...there will be people mad. And they will more than likely tell you what they think. Just saying...
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    Good post. However, I will add that it is sometimes wise to seek a second opinion if you feel that what your doctor is saying or prescribing to you doesn't feel right.

I couldn't agree more. Doctors do not always know best. And some do tests and surgeries just for the money. I have seen it and worked with it. Second opinions are a great idea if something doesn't feel right.
This discussion has been closed.