PLEASE educate yourselves!

Options

Replies

• Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    We have to remember that common sense is not always common.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    It shocks me how many people don't get a second or even third opinion before doing something like major surgery or a course of treatment that has many side effects. It also shocks me that doctors just automatically give a prescription without looking at the whole picture or looking into the patients lifestyle.
    Good post. However, I will add that it is sometimes wise to seek a second opinion if you feel that what your doctor is saying or prescribing to you doesn't feel right.
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    I don't know if I'd listen to them about prescribing medication without a second opinion. I read a survey and doctors spend at least 2 hours a week talking to drug company representatives. That's allot more time then any doctor has spent with me.
    I've seen a lot of terrible nutritional advice given on here from doctors, honestly. I'll listen to any doctor when it comes to diagnosing issues and prescribing medication, but outside of that I have a tough time taking doctors on face value on something they haven't directly studied in detail.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yup, I totally agree with you. A lot of people don't help themselves and don't seem to realise it's not anyone else's job to. Not just in here, I see it in life all the time.
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    While I think you should question your doctor and get a second opinion or even a new doctor if this happens often, I also agree that if you don't think a particular medication will be right for you don't lie to your doctor and tell him/her you are taking it when you aren't.Also don't tell them you get 5 hours exercise a week and never eat junk if its not true.
    Bravo! I agree with you, and could add even more that I've seen here and other places. Listen to the professionals (real professionals, schooled, tested, and accountable, not just someone who has an important sounding title) Read the directions, and follow them, ask if you don't understand, and if you think there's been a mistake, speak up or seek out another professional opinion before you make any unadvised changes. And yes, I have also been guilty of some of this, but we live and learn. Or at least, that's the way it's suppose to work. Thank you for posting and showing your concern, it is a sign of your true compassion...
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    While I think you should question your doctor and get a second opinion or even a new doctor if this happens often, I also agree that if you don't think a particular medication will be right for you don't lie to your doctor and tell him/her you are taking it when you aren't.Also don't tell them you get 5 hours exercise a week and never eat junk if its not true.
    Bravo! I agree with you, and could add even more that I've seen here and other places. Listen to the professionals (real professionals, schooled, tested, and accountable, not just someone who has an important sounding title) Read the directions, and follow them, ask if you don't understand, and if you think there's been a mistake, speak up or seek out another professional opinion before you make any unadvised changes. And yes, I have also been guilty of some of this, but we live and learn. Or at least, that's the way it's suppose to work. Thank you for posting and showing your concern, it is a sign of your true compassion...
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

1. TOM is all messed up, cycles are screwy/too short/too long/not happening at all and the women, and the people who respond to them just say things like "oh well, I guess it will work itself out!" REALLY?! When something is going wrong, it's your body's way of telling you it can't fix it on its own. GO TO THE DOCTOR. These could be signs of SERIOUS health problems! THINK PEOPLE!!!

I agree with you on everything but that.

Our cycles will be screwy for awhile as our bodies readjust. For someone, like me, losing 26 lbs in 3 months with 74+ more to go, I am not about to run to the doc. I'm not a hypochondriac. I would absolutely go if I were scared or nervous or in pain but, otherwise, it's just something I expected.

There's definitely an extreme both ways. Common sense is your friend. ;)
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    I have seen doctors give terrible advice here and other places. The worst advice I have heard is from nurses. I'm sure there are some really good nurses out there and I'm not downing a whole profession, but the bad ones give the good ones a bad name. People tend to think nurses are doctors. They aren't. Some try to give advice like a doctor.
    I've seen a lot of terrible nutritional advice given on here from doctors, honestly. I'll listen to any doctor when it comes to diagnosing issues and prescribing medication, but outside of that I have a tough time taking doctors on face value on something they haven't directly studied in detail.
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    I have seen doctors give terrible advice here and other places. The worst advice I have heard is from nurses. I'm sure there are some really good nurses out there and I'm not downing a whole profession, but the bad ones give the good ones a bad name. People tend to think nurses are doctors. They aren't. Some try to give advice like a doctor.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sometimes........you have to speak your mind so that others can maybe...and I mean just maybe.....,see a small light! Thank you for caring enough to say this to some whom needed to hear it!! There are those of us that really appreciate what you and others in the medical field do! You are over worked and under appreicated or believed!
    Shelia
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few of your points....but what a shame you felt you had to insult the MFP audience to get it across...

One of the great facets of MFP and MFP forums, is it gives a voice to those who might not ask questions otherwise. Not everyone is in the medical field, and many may not be accustomed to doing research. I would even venture to say that you will find many who don't have medical coverage or primary doctors or avenues which will allow them to address their potential or ongoing health issues. That being said, branding certain people as "dumb" and insulting them, only takes away another opportunity to take charge of their health, or seek out the answers they need.

I understand where you are coming from, just think you might have been able to reach a lot more people if you would have taken some of the sting out.
  • patcobill
    Options
    **warning** This is probably going to offend some people... you've been warned, so do NOT proceed to tell me off, ok?!

I have been reading through random blogs and posts in the forums lately and, as a nurse, I am completely SHOCKED at how (pardon me) dumb people are! I completely understand that not everyone has had any sort of formal medical training, but some of this stuff is common sense people!
    You have to take care of YOU! You're doctors and health care professionals are not going to seek you out and beg you to let them do an exam! If you're having a problem, GO TO THE DOCTOR. If you're not getting the answers you're seeking, ask yourself if you're asking the right questions or if you've been totally honest with your provider.

NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE CARE OF YOU FOR YOU!
    As doctors and nurses it is not our job to tell you what is wrong with you, it our job to listen to what your saying, and THEN test and work from there to find an answer... if you're not saying anything/the right things/getting checked out at all... how do you expect to get any answers??

The top 3 things I've seen in blogs and posts repeatedly that blow my mind are:
    1. TOM is all messed up, cycles are screwy/too short/too long/not happening at all and the women, and the people who respond to them just say things like "oh well, I guess it will work itself out!" REALLY?! When something is going wrong, it's your body's way of telling you it can't fix it on its own. GO TO THE DOCTOR. These could be signs of SERIOUS health problems! THINK PEOPLE!!!

2. "I don't take my blood pressure medicine cuz I don't like the way it makes me feel." REALLY?! Are you gonna like the way you feel when you have a stroke and die?! Seriously people, if the doctor puts you on a med for something, no matter what it is, TAKE THE DAMN MEDICATION. You can NOT just blatantly stop taking a med because you don't feel like taking it! SERIOUSLY! The effects of abruptly stopping a medication can be dangerous! LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS PLEASE!

3. "My doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm just gonna do my own thing" (obviously that's more of a paraphrase but you get the idea) Thos eof you who say that will probably be the same person to sue the doctor when you have a stroke/heart attack/go into a diabetic coma/or whatever else because you're always the ones that blame EVERYONE else for your own mistakes! They don't hand out medical degrees at the McDonalds drive through people. You're doctor is an educated person... odds are if he/she is telling you something/prescribing a med or treatment, it's probably in your best interest to follow the doctors orders. If you don't, FINE, but don't ***** about it when you are sicker/worse off in a couple months then you were when you started!!!

and one more thing... all of you diabetics and people with high blood pressure, just because you take your medicine doesn't mean you don't have to change your eating habits and lifestyle! So you took your metformin this morning like you're supposed to... that does not mean it's ok to have a freaking candy bar at lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but it's SO frustrating, almost impossible, to be a healthcare worker and NOT scream and yell and throw a fit when you see this stuff!!!!!

End rant.

Someone needs sugar...
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd listen to them about prescribing medication without a second opinion. I read a survey and doctors spend at least 2 hours a week talking to drug company representatives. That's allot more time then any doctor has spent with me.

I think too many patients don't "talk" to their doctors openly and honestly. This is where issues arise. It's okay to tell your Dr that you are uncomfortable taking a medication or that you would prefer not to take meds and ask what else you can do. Most good (note I said "good") doctors listen to their patients.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    lol, well said! it made me laugh :)
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I can't speak for every doctors office in the country, obviously, but I can tell you from personal experience in the VERY large multi-practice clinic that I spent years working in, that's it's actually more along the lines of: Doctors spend about 2 hours a week getting chased down the hall by drug reps, they rarely really sit down and just have a discussion. And when they do it's because the doctor is asking for details and specifics about that med. Again, I can not speak for all doctors, but any doctor worth a damn is not going to just randomly prescribe a drug because the rep was nice, they're going to prescribe a drug because it's the drug that they feel will best do the job. If drugs were prescribed solely on which rep was in there talking their ear off the most, then NO ONE would prescribe penicillin or digoxin anymore... those drugs have been around FOREVER and reps are NOT out promoting them anymore, trust me. After the first few years a drug is out actually, the reps are no longer promoting them. And, new federal guidelines have also ruled (a couple years ago) the reps are no longer allowed to hand out merchandise with a drug name on it, so doctors can not be swayed by what the pen in their hand says, or what the clock on the wall says... 99% of the time, if a doc is prescribing a med, it's because that med is needed.

Also, something to keep in mind is, (especially with BP meds and Diabetes meds) is that for years (or however long) your body has been working in a state that is wrong (high BP, high blood sugars, etc) and your body has adjusted to existing that way. Just because your body has adjusted to existing that way, does NOT, by any means, mean that your body is perfectly ok existing that way, TRUST ME, it is far from ok. So when you start taking these meds, and all of a sudden your body is functioning normally, the way it is supposed to, for the first time in years, you probably ARE going to feel weird and different. It's expected when starting these types of meds that you will have an adjustment period and feel "different." Let your doctor know, keep track of how you're feeling, and when, and KEEP YOUR DOCTOR INFORMED. Do not just stop taking a med because you think you know best... there is a REALLY good chance that abruptly stopping that med could actually make things worse.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    I agree with a few of your points....but what a shame you felt you had to insult the MFP audience to get it across...

One of the great facets of MFP and MFP forums, is it gives a voice to those who might not ask questions otherwise. Not everyone is in the medical field, and many may not be accustomed to doing research. I would even venture to say that you will find many who don't have medical coverage or primary doctors or avenues which will allow them to address their potential or ongoing health issues. That being said, branding certain people as "dumb" and insulting them, only takes away another opportunity to take charge of their health, or seek out the answers they need.

I understand where you are coming from, just think you might have been able to reach a lot more people if you would have taken some of the sting out.

Maybe you should read ALL of the posts that I made in this topic... I'm pretty sure it's quite obvious that I don't believe in sugar coating anything... sugar coated advice has NEVER saved a life or made a difference. Truth is hard and matter of fact, and the only way to tell the truth is to tell it like it is. If someone is offended by what I had to say.... then maybe they should talk to my grandmother who once told me "If the truth hurts, change it!"
  • christan04
    Options
    **warning** This is probably going to offend some people... you've been warned, so do NOT proceed to tell me off, ok?!

I have been reading through random blogs and posts in the forums lately and, as a nurse, I am completely SHOCKED at how (pardon me) dumb people are! I completely understand that not everyone has had any sort of formal medical training, but some of this stuff is common sense people!
    You have to take care of YOU! You're doctors and health care professionals are not going to seek you out and beg you to let them do an exam! If you're having a problem, GO TO THE DOCTOR. If you're not getting the answers you're seeking, ask yourself if you're asking the right questions or if you've been totally honest with your provider.

As doctors and nurses it is not our job to tell you what is wrong with you, it our job to listen to what your saying, and THEN test and work from there to find an answer... if you're not saying anything/the right things/getting checked out at all... how do you expect to get any answers??

2. "I don't take my blood pressure medicine cuz I don't like the way it makes me feel." REALLY?! Are you gonna like the way you feel when you have a stroke and die?! Seriously people, if the doctor puts you on a med for something, no matter what it is, TAKE THE DAMN MEDICATION. You can NOT just blatantly stop taking a med because you don't feel like taking it! SERIOUSLY! The effects of abruptly stopping a medication can be dangerous! LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS PLEASE!

3. "My doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm just gonna do my own thing" (obviously that's more of a paraphrase but you get the idea) Thos eof you who say that will probably be the same person to sue the doctor when you have a stroke/heart attack/go into a diabetic coma/or whatever else because you're always the ones that blame EVERYONE else for your own mistakes! They don't hand out medical degrees at the McDonalds drive through people. You're doctor is an educated person... odds are if he/she is telling you something/prescribing a med or treatment, it's probably in your best interest to follow the doctors orders. If you don't, FINE, but don't ***** about it when you are sicker/worse off in a couple months then you were when you started!!!

and one more thing... all of you diabetics and people with high blood pressure, just because you take your medicine doesn't mean you don't have to change your eating habits and lifestyle! So you took your metformin this morning like you're supposed to... that does not mean it's ok to have a freaking candy bar at lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but it's SO frustrating, almost impossible, to be a healthcare worker and NOT scream and yell and throw a fit when you see this stuff!!!!!

End rant.

I love you.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options

End rant.

I love you.

I love you too.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Maybe you should read ALL of the posts that I made in this topic... I'm pretty sure it's quite obvious that I don't believe in sugar coating anything... sugar coated advice has NEVER saved a life or made a difference. Truth is hard and matter of fact, and the only way to tell the truth is to tell it like it is. If someone is offended by what I had to say.... then maybe they should talk to my grandmother who once told me "If the truth hurts, change it!"

I'm not suggesting sugar coating anything, what I am suggesting is taking a broader approach to giving your advice. If your intent is to really help someone who could be making a serious error in judgement, especially in regards to their health, you might be better served by taking the insult out of it.
  • tlkoehl
    tlkoehl Posts: 27
    Options
    AMEN SISTA!!! Thank you for speaking the truth and putting it out there!!!
This discussion has been closed.