what diet is everyone on?

Options
124»

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options

This is an interesting concept in that you watch your carbs but don't cut too low...
    BUT whole grains are an important part of energy supply.
    I carb cycle with 4 days between 120-130g carbs and a high (day5) of over 250g. With evryday keeping my protein around 140g
    The purpose is so the body doesn't get used to the LOW carbs and so the body doesn't experience the drained feeling.
    A main focus for me in this process is grains in the am and lunch only... PM carbs being ONLY from veggies and a fruit at post workout. Anyhow, I understand where this makes sense. I just think there are certain things that should not be forgotten... such as energy filled oatmeal, brown rice, whole grains, barley and much much more.... again, only in the AM. :-D

Well, if you look at my food diary, you'll see that I don't follow it to a T either. I do a similar carb cycling where I'll load up on days I know for sure I'm going to do strenuous weight training. Likewise for endurance trainers (triathlete, marathoner, swimmers), carb intake should be much higher. But for the general population, it seems like a good rule of thumb.
    I wasn't nosey enough to look at your diary haha... Thanks for clarifying though. I am the same... I do my INTENSE training on my high day, for sure.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I guess I used the "wrong" word..."diet"...I was just wondering what was working for everyone...I am looking for a lifestyle change and not a quick fix by any means...but I just have to say...I am glad that everyone is on the "don't act like a moron diet"...but I just wanted to know what the "not acting like a moron" part was for everyone so I could incorporate the new ideas into my changes...simply sounding but I am sure you all were in my shoes at one time--remember, starting is not as easy as it seems!!! Of course exercise is necessary and important, too!! I know I didn't gain the weight overnight and I will not loose it overnight either...was just looking for ideas to help get started and motivation to keep going.

Oh well, thanks for the ideas I did get!!!

I’m a string advocate of starting from the place where you are at, and adding change as it fits. Focusing on your own journey, and not worrying what anyone else is doing, what works for them, or whose eating plan they have read.

Just start by logging. Eat the way you always have, but log it. See what it looks like in numbers. Learn how the choices you make right now affect the numbers.

When that is easy and routine, start trying to hit your calorie goal. You will immediately start to see things—how little food you’re able to eat if you eat poorly, for instance—and this will drive you toward change.

It’s okay for this process to go slowly and for the change to be gradual. It’s okay to make mistakes. If you’re logging in here every day and logging each every thing you eat into that diary and consistently come in at or slightly under your calorie goal—regardless of the food choices you make or how much you do (or don’t) exercise—a year from now you will weigh less than you do today.

So, let’s get started :-)
    nicely put..... :-D
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I think we would all agree that it was much more fun putting on the weight than taking it off. For me, when I first started logging my food, I was completely honest and logged everything - then I started evaluating what I'd eat on a daily basis, and tried to start eliminating one thing a week that I thought I could give up, and lower my calorie intake. I started small - instead of two peices of toast for breakfast, I ate one. Instead of 4 creamers in my coffee - I tried putting in two. Slowly, I was able to eliminate more bad crap from my diet, and started incorporating good crap - eating more clean - more veges, protein and drinking more water.

Don't try to do it all at once - gradual changes in the right direction will make you a weight loss winner and help with a new lifestyle.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    LOVE that question!!! Everyone wants to know the NEW RAGE that's working and keeps the weight off! I use the MFP guidelines and have it set for 1 pound a week even though I lose more because I eat under my calorie limit. I eat try to eat 1200 calories plus my exercise calories. I love it. It's not too hard once you get into a groove.
  • ww2009
    ww2009 Posts: 4
    Options
    i am on the weight watchers diet and i have lost 142 lbs in 2yrs...
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Me too! I don't believe diets work unless you are only trying to loose 5 or 10lbs. If you are looking to get healthy and stay healthy... It's got to be a lifestyle. I am happier living this healthier lifestyle. Even my kids see it.
  • ww2009
    Options
    i am on weight watchers and i have lost 145 lbs
  • ww2009
    Options
    i am on weight watchers and i have lost 145 lbs
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    Like most people on here, I'm trying to change my habits rather than try a quick-fix diet. For me, it's more about listening to my body to understand what foods increase my energy and keep me feeling full vs the foods cause me to crave sweets and simple carbs, feel sluggish and upset my stomach so that I can incorporate the best foods while avoiding the others.
    As for what I'm doing currently: I stay at 1200-1220 calories per day and exercise on a consistent basis. I've lost almost 20lbs in just under 3 months. My goal is to lose 30 more pounds by August.

I've been considering limiting my carb consumption to 40% of my total diet (the recommended minimum) and taking in a majority of complex carbs.
  • rozzzz
    rozzzz Posts: 8
    Options
    just learn to love other things than your 'favorite' foods. nothing should revolve around food and body image...just enjoy life, listen to your body and it will come naturaly :)
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I dont do diet's either. IMO, if they have a name...then they are probably *kitten*. :wink:

like others have said, its a lifestyle and attitude thing. Get this right, and you are laughing your way to a better you!

Best guideline i've ever read about? The Zone Diet. More a set of principles, than a "diet". Again, its all about lifestyle choices.
    Wanna be flabby? Boring? and generally unwell/unfit? The go get maccas for dinner.
    Wanna be awesome? Then instead, cook yourself some good meat, and a tonne of vege's...then feel awesome for making the right decision.

And dont become a vegetarian/vegan. useless, and not how our bodies were designed to operate :wink:
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Use-Common-Sense-And-Don't-Eat-Like-A-Moron diet.

It works.

Ditto!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, it's trial and error. I love junk food. I love easy food. But by examining what I've been eating, I found what works and what doesn't work.

Example: Lean Cuisine dinners. Easy. Low Calorie. But tiny, and high in sodium. I can stir fry some veggies and a protein with some rice or pasta and eat a LOT more for the same calories and less sodium. And I'm not hungry 15 minutes later.

Or things like Rice A Roni or Hamburger Helper. They're so easy, but the sodium is a killer. And they're ridiculously high in calories for what they are. Instead, I use brown rice or whole wheat pasta, and use different sauces or marinades for flavor.

I still love DiGiorno Pizzas. The calories, fat and sodium are high, but on days when I do a lot of running and have a big calorie burn, I'll splurge and enjoy every last bite. :heart:

But overall, I just try to have the biggest volume of food for my calories, which also means eating healthier food.