How to zig zag cals properly/caloric cycling properly

Options

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    The point chris is that it is a tool to be used like any other it will have varied results depending on the individual. Just like we all have different needs from a caloric standpoint we all need different methods to achieve our goals so in the case that this did not work for you then there would be a missing part of the equation. You may have been eating to much or to little for it work effectively for you, some people are also much more sensitive to survival mode than others. Some may never experience the body fighting back for fat loss some will feel its effects very quickly if they do not eat enough to promote healthy fat loss. Caloric cycling like any other tool is just that a tool to use to promote faster fat loss but results will vary depending on whom uses it and in what way.
  • kabakken
    kabakken Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The point chris is that it is a tool to be used like any other it will have varied results depending on the individual. Just like we all have different needs from a caloric standpoint we all need different methods to achieve our goals so in the case that this did not work for you then there would be a missing part of the equation. You may have been eating to much or to little for it work effectively for you, some people are also much more sensitive to survival mode than others. Some may never experience the body fighting back for fat loss some will feel its effects very quickly if they do not eat enough to promote healthy fat loss. Caloric cycling like any other tool is just that a tool to use to promote faster fat loss but results will vary depending on whom uses it and in what way.

I agree completely.

My point was the calculated zig zag wasn't working...the two day off one day on that you had originally mentioned, did. It was one example of another way it worked for someone...another tool in the tool box I guess, as you said.
  • mariamartinez713
    mariamartinez713 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is net calories the ones you actually eat versus total calories? Or is net calories the ones after exercise?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Is net calories the ones you actually eat versus total calories? Or is net calories the ones after exercise?

Net calories are the result of what you actually ate minus your exercise. So if you ate 3000cal, and exercised 1500 of them away, your net is 1500. If you ate 1500, and exercised 1500 of them away...your net is 0 calories.
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    bump
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    From what I've gathered reading all this information this is what I should do:

196 lbs, 5'9", sedentary

1 lb/week = 1580 cals
    Maintenance = 2080
    Max loss (2080-800) = 1280

so....

M - 1280
    T - 1280
    W - 2080
    T - 1280
    F - 1280
    S - 2080
    S - 1280

That makes a weekly total of 10,560 or a daily average of 1508 calories. Is this right? I swear this is so confusing.
    Thanks for the help!
  • h64em
    h64em Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later!
  • SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    bump
  • ymcahutch
    ymcahutch Posts: 8
    Options
    Is the max deficit of 800 a straight figure or a percentage?

My current maintenance is 1550; I think I would have a really hard time eating just 750 and not sure how safe that would be. I do exercise 3-4 days/week and that would add another 300-400, but there are some days where a work-out is just not very feasible. Any suggestions?
    If your maintenance is 1550 the lowest you should go is 1200, for women whom are shorter than 5ft tall you can push it to 1100 but anything less and you are really pushing it. It works off a percentage and that gets lower as you approach your goal weight. For women no less than 1200 as a general rule and for men no less than 1500 as a general rule. My maintenance is 2440 right now so I have more cals to play with. 800 works for me as I am 11.6 pounds shy of my goal. But I am also active so I have more to play with. The more weight the greater the wiggle room, the lighter the less wiggle room.
    Do you eat your exercise calories? My calory level is set at 1210 now and I'm not seeing any change after 2 months. I do eat my exercise calories, maybe I shouldn't?
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    Bump
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OK, I was stuck in a 6 week plateau or so, tried several different approaches with no success, so thought what the heck, I'll try this.

Well, after 8 days doing 1310, 1310, 2110...

I lost over 4 lbs!!

And, I'm only a few lbs from my ultimate goal, which makes this all the more impressive.

Thanks for the info!!!

Here is another great article on this approach, I actually ate the foods recommended in this first chart too:

http://www.rippednaturally.com/zig-zag-diet.html
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Might try this! Is there a way to easily get the food diary to change, or is it a manual change every day type thing?

I just started doing this yesterday, and I'm having to change my calorie goals daily. It only takes a second, but it's annoying when you go to look at other days and it says you're under or over or whatever based upon your current day's goals, even though you met your goal that particular day. I'm keeping notes in the food log about what that day's goal was so that I can go back and look.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I hate it when I change my goals for the day....and it messed up all of my history! I have a piece of paper by the computer, and i keep track on there! Maybe MFP could fix this!!!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I agree!!!! I hate it when I change my goals for the day....and it messed up all of my history! I have a piece of paper by the computer, and i keep track on there! Maybe MFP could fix this!!!

Why use a piece of paper? There's a note section right on your diary.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention in my previous post, but I did eat all my exercise calories back for the 8 days I've been doing this.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    good info