How to zig zag cals properly/caloric cycling properly

Options

Replies

• katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing this for just over a week, and I've lost 4 lbs so far. It's crazy because I didn't even lose that much when I first started oh so many months ago. I've been averaging 4-5 lbs a month since the beginning, no matter what I was doing, so losing that much in a week was a surprise. I doubt I will continue to lose at that rate, but I'm happy for this week. :) Here's what I've been doing...

Day 1 - 1081 net (max deficit)
    Day 2 - 1081 net (max deficit)
    Day 3 - 1881 net (maintenance)
    Day 4 - 1081 net (max deficit)
    Day 5 - 1081 net (max deficit)
    Day 6 - 1881 net (maintenance)
    Day 7 - 1081 net (max deficit)
    Day 8 - 1081 net (max deficit)
    Day 9 - 1881 net (maintenance)

I make sure I workout on the max deficit days, burning 416 calories, so I can eat 1497 calories. The hardest days to stay around my goal have been the maintenance days for some reason. I have to resist the urge to "cheat" beyond the extra calories. :)

*Edited to add that this averages out to 1310 or 1424 net calories per day, when figuring it out weekly. :)
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Great info.
    Bump to try later!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Saving:)
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great Post!
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    How do you know what your maint calories are?

10560016.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lorettatat
    Options
    Bump
  • VelcroPooh
    Options
    Bump
  • jayvrdrjn
    jayvrdrjn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and currently weigh 163lbs. I gained 5 lbs in the last 2 months as I had to stop working out for various reasons. Prior to that I was staying steady at about 158# and trying to fight a plateau for months. I have read all these posts and i think I get it but just wanted to confirm. With my weight loss set at 1lb/week, MFP gives me 1340 calories for loss. So does that mean I do 1250 or so on Days 1 and 2, and then 1750-1800 on Day 3? If I work out and burn around 300 calories, do I then eat most of that back too?
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:

"Bump?" What does this mean? I've never heard anyone say bump before, but I keep seeing it now.. :/
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:

"Bump?" What does this mean? I've never heard anyone say bump before, but I keep seeing it now.. :/

By bumping a post, it moves it back to the top and it saves it in "My Topics" so you can find it easily later. :)
  • smw038
    Options
    saving for later
  • bmccrory2
    bmccrory2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Decided to give it a go used the calculator to work it out- get the same cals as now over the week but added a +300 spike and a -300 low! See hoe it goes- I'll let u know
  • faye_daisy
    Options
    might have to give this a try
  • tazzo4853
    tazzo4853 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    good info! i have only just started and adjusting to calorie allowance (i never realised how many calories i ate daily!) but i will definitely be using this method when things start to slow a little.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to the top if the topics-great post! Thanks.
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump