What's so horrible about carbs?

Options
Hey guys,
After actually looking at my nutrition facts, I seem to go over on carbs (A LOT) daily.
I was wondering why exactly carbs are bad for us.

That's probably a stupid question, but I'm curious. People always say "Low carbs" but never give a reason as to why they eat that way

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    In a nut shell, they can be stored as fat. (Just like proteins)

http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/CARBOHYDRATES.htm

They are burned really easy though, plenty of cardio and you shouldn't really worry about it. Unless you are over 100 off or so

From the website (First paragraph explains it very well):

Overeating on carbohydrates is a major cause of excessive weight gain. A common misconception is that eating fat makes one fat. However, most weight gain today is due to overeating on refined sugars and, to a lesser extent, eating complex carbohydrates in excess.

Let us explain why people believe that eating fat makes one fat, and why it is not true:

1. Carbohydrates provide four calories (energy units) per gram, while fats provide nine calories per gram. This leads many doctors and health authorities to think that fats make you fat, but carbohydrates do not. However, our bodies easily convert carbohydrates to fats through the action of insulin and other hormones.

2. Eating carbohydrates increases insulin secretion, and decreases zinc, magnesium and other vital minerals. This can contribute to weight gain and many other diseases. Eating high quality fats does not increase insulin secretion as much.

3. Breads, pasta, fruit and sweets can also alter neurotransmitter levels in ways that cause a calming effect. This can be addictive for some people, leading to overeating on these foods. Dr. Robert Atkins, MD, a cardiologist in New York City, did quite extensive research on this subject. Although he was scorned for years, his research has been shown to be valid.
  • Caerith
    Caerith Posts: 15
    Options
    Absolutely nothing is wrong with carbs. People just think it's bad because of some fad diet a few years back, the Atkins Diet. Carbs are good!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fine... in moderation. Just like everything else.
  • sekhmet13
    sekhmet13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's nothing horrible about carbs in and of themselves. I think people get confused because carbs = sugar. However, we do need some sugar in our diet in order to function. Have you ever seen those Adkins Diet people with their darkened skin around their sunken eyes? That's because they don't eat carbs!

Everything in moderation, that's the key.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    its more about the type of carbohydrate.
    simple carbs give you a quick sugar high then crash, which makes your body go ZOMG need MORE

also some people find some high-carb foods like bread, very easy to overeat on and they are quite high in energy

and, a lot of the bad snack foods are very high in simple carbs as well as fat, trying to eat low-carb can help avoid these types of foods.

carbohydrates are essential to your health, it's just all about being smart and eating the right kinds
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad if you don't exercise- But if you do, eat them!

I try to eat as much carbs as possible since I run a lot. I can tell the difference in how I feel if I carb load and if I don't on a long run.
    Carbs are my friend. lol
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't horrible but not all carbs are created equal! Some are better for you and some turn to fat more quickly. Good-whole foods, fruits, grains. Bad-Processed and refined.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I think carbs are fine. I worry more about sodium and fat. I think as long as the carbs are coming from good foods it shouldn't be of concern.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    if you don't burn up your carbs then your body stores them..my body likes to store them in my hips and thighs!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad! They are the energy that makes us go.

However, too many carbs can get stored as fat. Also, carbohydrates require water to digest and process, and thus cause us to retain water.

Eating a diet rich in complex carbohydrates (whole or sprouted wheat, fruits and vegetables, and whole grains) is your best option for losing weight, feeling full, and having energy.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    As the first response says, too many bad carbs and they're stored as fat. It entirely depends on the KIND of carbs. Vegetables and fruit have carbs, but they do not spike blood sugar levels and give you plenty of long lasting energy. Processed carbs (noodles, junk food, bread) is what is bad for your body. :)

MANY people tend to think that ALL carbs are good, which is not the case at all. If you are not eating processed carbs then you have nothing to worry about.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you eat more carbs at one time than your body needs for energy the excess will get stored in your fat cells. They also cause your body to release insulin which prevents it from burning fat.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carbs are certainly "fine" when you're picking the right ones, if you're picking whole-wheat versions of bread rather than white, brown rice or wild rice over white rice etc you're getting the healthier choice of carbs.

Carbs are just the current "fall guy" like eggs were in the 80's, fat was in the 90's, trouble is its a broad brush, oh some carbs / types of fats are bad so ALL are bad. They're not.

Look into glycemic index and glycemic load to see some of your healthier choices.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Personally, I only think carbs are "bad" if they are in the form of refined grains, processed fruits and vegetable or added sugar. Whole grains are satisfying and healthy and as long as you eat whole fruits and skip juice, even the sugar in fruits should not be a problem for most people. Another poster said carbs can be stored as fat, but really ANY excess calories can and will be stored as fat. If your carbs are good carbs (again, whole grains, whole fruits and veggies) and you're not crowding out proteins and fats then I wouldn't worry excessively about it, especially if you feel satisfied and you're meeting your goals.
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pretty muchh theres "good carbs" and "bad carbs". Good carbs are the ones found in veggies and WHOLE GRAINS. crappy bread,chips, and cheap boxed pastas,ect are considered bad carbs. Pretty much they dont contain any or much fiber so the body breaks it down super quick then turns it into sugar. Sugar then turns into fat when not used up. Thats what ive come to know. As long as you stay away from processed carbs and stick with high fiber options and veggies your good.
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pretty muchh theres "good carbs" and "bad carbs". Good carbs are the ones found in veggies and WHOLE GRAINS. crappy bread,chips, and cheap boxed pastas,ect are considered bad carbs. Pretty much they dont contain any or much fiber so the body breaks it down super quick then turns it into sugar. Sugar then turns into fat when not used up. Thats what ive come to know. As long as you stay away from processed carbs and stick with high fiber options and veggies your good.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Carbs can mess with your blood chemistry - your body reacts to them faster than proteins or fats, so they can send your body on a rollercoaster of ups and downs.

Carbs in and of themselves are not bad - fiber is critical to your bodies functions, for example. However, the easiest way to avoid the problematic carbs is by limiting total carbs.

One of the advantages of the South Beach Diet books is that he takes the time to explain the science. AND while it comes out lower carb than the average american diet, it is not as extreme as most "low carb" diets.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low carb. My body does very well with good, healthy carbs. My husband does better on a low carb diet. He has more energy and feels better all around. I completely bottom out. You really have to pay attention to how your body behaves and responds, not just go along with what everybody else is saying. I think a lot of people have made this mistake with "low-carb". It could really work for you or it may not and I'm not just speaking about weight loss. I'm talking about how you feel over all. A lot of people can do low-carb for a while but they can't sustain it because they feel like crap. My hubby prefers to eat low carb because he feels better, weight loss is a bonus. For him it's part of his lifestyle.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fine... in moderation. Just like everything else.

Just like cocaine, heroine, gasoline..... hmmmmmmmmmmm.... maybe not!

Sorry - I don't mean to be a jerk - this everything in moderation line makes me angry. There are a lot of problems with carbs. But first, you have to look at where they're coming from.

Veggies are carbs. Most of us know that I assume - but surprisingly, some don't. They are.....

Gina - I was going to go through the whole thing, but I just don't have the patience to say it all yet again.

Don't eat grains folks. There's abundant information out there if you'd like to see why, or you can just trust me. Or you can call me a jerk. I don't care really.

Read these things before you keep feeding yourself insulin-spiking grains.

http://whole9life.com/2010/03/the-grain-manifesto/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

http://robbwolf.com/book-resources/

http://www.kellyfrankson.com/2010/10/robb-wolf-exert-4-what-grains-do/

http://www.livingpaleo.com/avoiding-grains-part-2/
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything categorically wrong with "carbs." However, I do find that if I eat too many simple starches and/or sugars, I crave more simple starches/sugars, and I will either overeat or go crazy trying not to. So I do limit my intake of simple starches and sugars.

Another thing I have observed is that some combinations cause me real problems. For example, I can eat potatoes, if they're baked, and do just fine. I don't feel compelled to finish a baked potato. I left one unfinished today at lunch, matter of fact. But boy howdy, FRY the darn things, and a) I can eat them until I'm literally sick, and still want them, and b) they show up on my scale the next day out of all proportion to whatever I actually took in. Fried carbohydrates are, for reasons I canNOT explain, very very bad for me.

I don't think this is true for everyone. If my husband eats sugars, he burns them off, and he doesn't seem to suffer from any sort of temptation to overeat carbs or sugars. Every body is different. My body? Needs me to limit my intake of simple starches (especially fried ones) and sugars.