What's so horrible about carbs?

Options

Replies

• BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Also Dr Akins died of a heart attack. I think he was right about carb control, but the high fat food? Not so much.
    When I was pregnant back in 1978 Dr. Atkins had just came out with his diet plan. I was gaining a lot of weight and
    my OB told me eat low carb. I picked up the book and ate Hot dogs and bacon most of the time. I'm lucky my son was born healthy.

Wow, way to go listening to the media.

He slipped on ice whilel walking to his office and suffered a brain injury.

And the Atkins books I read none of them say to live on Hot Dogs and processed bacon. They specifically state to purchase non-processed, fresh meats and organic vegetables if it is within your budget.

What do you mean way to go listening to the media? The media all reported that he died due to head trauma. Just do a search on google news for 2003 and you'll see all the stories reporting it as death due to head trauma. There is no media conspiracy to make his diet seem crazy. Now he did suffer a cardiac arrest in 2002, which is probably what a lot of people remember about him and associate it with is death.
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    For me, lowering carbs from sugars or grains to under 30g a day has led to 8 lbs of weight loss and several inches lose, a TOTAL remission of acne (I'm 41 and have had it since I was 12) and really good, stabilized moods. I am a little tired sometimes but that is the only complaint. I feel great and will not go back to any typical high carb way of eating. Since I am exercising regularly I do not limit fruits as diets like Atkins suggest and so far, my body has been able to handle that kind of carb. But I have all but elminated bread, pasta, rice, cereals, and most importantly, sugar in its many names and forms, and I am WAY healthier as a result. I think people are so anti-low carb because in our typical way of high-carb eating we crave carbs and when craving a food we think it will be "too hard" to give up and so we must "need it." For the longest period of human history - millions of years - our bodies have run on the kinds of foods eaten in a hunting and gathering lifestyle - namely, animal proteins, fats, and vegetables/berries/fruits that grow. Agriculture is what, 10,000 years old? Thinking about it this way made sense to me so I tried it. The theory of Atkins where you don't have carbs to burn (or be stored as fat) so you will switch over into burning fat for energy makes sense to me too. But the thing that made the most sense was when I started it and felt and looked fantastic. Just my perspective on it.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    In a nut shell, they can be stored as fat. (Just like proteins)

please explain how protein makes you fat?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    In a nut shell, they can be stored as fat. (Just like proteins)

please explain how protein makes you fat?

In a nutshell, Protein in excess will be converted to glucose, which will be stored as fat. The same goes with carbs.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Also Dr Akins died of a heart attack. I think he was right about carb control, but the high fat food? Not so much.
    When I was pregnant back in 1978 Dr. Atkins had just came out with his diet plan. I was gaining a lot of weight and
    my OB told me eat low carb. I picked up the book and ate Hot dogs and bacon most of the time. I'm lucky my son was born healthy.

And the Atkins books I read none of them say to live on Hot Dogs and processed bacon. They specifically state to purchase non-processed, fresh meats and organic vegetables if it is within your budget.

What do you mean way to go listening to the media? The media all reported that he died due to head trauma. Just do a search on google news for 2003 and you'll see all the stories reporting it as death due to head trauma. There is no media conspiracy to make his diet seem crazy. Now he did suffer a cardiac arrest in 2002, which is probably what a lot of people remember about him and associate it with is death.

I said that regarding the statement that the person I quoted said about him dying from a heart attack. The media is the one that spread the rumor that he died of a heart attack from his diet and his wife had to issue a state to the contrary.

I have taken classes from Registered Dieticians at Atkins Nutritionals and this was one of the first topics they covered and because low carb and specifically Atkins was very popular during that time the media tried to derail the low carb revolution that was taking place by saying he died from a heart attack and not the slip on the ice.

The media had to retract their original statement and go with the REAL and TRUE story.

I had just started Atkins around the time frame that he had his fall and I remember everyone clarifying.
  • Grokette
    Options

My Bad. I just looked it up and it was a brain injury. I still think he was wrong about eating high fat though. Just my opinion

As I mentioned earilier, the media tells you that high fat is bad, so I understand why you think and believe that way.

Why not pick up a couple of books by a research scientist, Gary Taubes. Why we get fat and Good Calories, Bad Calories.

It may change the way you think and why we are conditioned to think the way we are.
  • Grokette
    Options

Yes, you beat me to it: SOME of his research has since been confirmed. Dr. Agatston's nutritional research is often mocked because of the popularity, but I do believe that the principles of the South Beach Diet will hold up in the long term.

Despite the first food pyramid, it is looking like most people should not make grains the foundation of their diet, which, between breakfast cereal, sandwiches and pasta, most Americans have done.

It is also hard to compare ourselves to our ancestors, who did not have access to high fructose corn syrup and who, in most cases, were hunting, farming or working manual labor.

Dr Agaston is a FRAUD. He took the Atkins Diet and made a low-fat version and called it the South Beach Diet.

On a low carb board I frequent there are FAR more people that keep the weight off by doing the Atkins Plan versus South Beach and a lot of South Beachers end up converting over to Atkins.

The proof is out there as far as eating high fat and why it is healthier for us.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    For me, lowering carbs from sugars or grains to under 30g a day has led to 8 lbs of weight loss and several inches lose, a TOTAL remission of acne (I'm 41 and have had it since I was 12) and really good, stabilized moods. I am a little tired sometimes but that is the only complaint. I feel great and will not go back to any typical high carb way of eating. Since I am exercising regularly I do not limit fruits as diets like Atkins suggest and so far, my body has been able to handle that kind of carb. But I have all but elminated bread, pasta, rice, cereals, and most importantly, sugar in its many names and forms, and I am WAY healthier as a result. I think people are so anti-low carb because in our typical way of high-carb eating we crave carbs and when craving a food we think it will be "too hard" to give up and so we must "need it." For the longest period of human history - millions of years - our bodies have run on the kinds of foods eaten in a hunting and gathering lifestyle - namely, animal proteins, fats, and vegetables/berries/fruits that grow. Agriculture is what, 10,000 years old? Thinking about it this way made sense to me so I tried it. The theory of Atkins where you don't have carbs to burn (or be stored as fat) so you will switch over into burning fat for energy makes sense to me too. But the thing that made the most sense was when I started it and felt and looked fantastic. Just my perspective on it.

I hear ya! Through my teen years, and into my early (when I ate really low fat and high carb, and was also morbidly obese) I suffered from horrible insomnia, anxiety, ADHD, chronic depression, fatigue, and acne. Now I eat low carb (10% or less) and my skin is clear, I have tons of energy, I can't remember the last time I felt depressed, I can focus so much better, I'm no longer anxious over nothing, and I sleep great, and guess what? I'm not obese anymore. And hardly overweight. Though I kinda question the BMI thing, anyway. Plus, my blood work is phenomenal according to my docs.

I believe everyone should do what they feel is best for their own health.

But, with the proof in the pudding, I say there's no way my low carb, high fat diet is unhealthy :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think all of us agree there is a difference with good fat-bad fat's. I believe everything in balance. The MEDIA has nothing to do with what I think about the subject. As a healthcare worker I see the results of the American diet everyday. Just take a walk and see with your own eyes the obesity epidemic in this country. The media does not have anything to do with that. Unless you mean Advertisers, that is another story. We are all allowed to have an opinion and make our own choices.
  • Grokette
    Options

Actually, Atkins only restricts fruit for a short time.

One thing that everyone needs to remember about the Atkins plan is that it is an ELIMINATION plan that eliminates EVERYTHING except for protein, fat and green vegetables in the beginning and then as you move through the plan everything is added back in unless your body can not handle it.

I know some people doing Atkins that can eat bread, other grains, beans, legumes, fruit, dairy, etc.................some people are more sensitive than others. We are all bio-indiviually different so what works for one may not work for another.

Me, I am super sensitive and I moved away from Atkins to a more Paleo approach. So for me, no grains, beans, legumes, or dairy.

His plan is not much different than the Candida Diet that Doctors will put a patient on if they suffer from yeast over growth and chronic yeast infections.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Double post.
  • dls06
    Options

Yes, you beat me to it: SOME of his research has since been confirmed. Dr. Agatston's nutritional research is often mocked because of the popularity, but I do believe that the principles of the South Beach Diet will hold up in the long term.

Despite the first food pyramid, it is looking like most people should not make grains the foundation of their diet, which, between breakfast cereal, sandwiches and pasta, most Americans have done.

It is also hard to compare ourselves to our ancestors, who did not have access to high fructose corn syrup and who, in most cases, were hunting, farming or working manual labor.

Dr Agaston is a FRAUD. He took the Atkins Diet and made a low-fat version and called it the South Beach Diet.

On a low carb board I frequent there are FAR more people that keep the weight off by doing the Atkins Plan versus South Beach and a lot of South Beachers end up converting over to Atkins.

The proof is out there as far as eating high fat and why it is healthier for us.

Did you ever hear of the American Heart Association? Or the MAYO Clinic? Do you know that Heart related diseases are the #1 cause of death in this country? American Diabetic Assoc. Children with adult onset diabetes? Some breast cancers could be linked to Obesity? I'm a Certified MAMMO Tech and have not only studied it, but seen it first hand. Just wondering? Is this all about the system? I grew up in the 60's and understand the passion. But as I get older reality kicks in.
  • jahoolie
    jahoolie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Although I appreciate the support of our network on MFP, most of us are not experts. The question you are asking can be answered so many different ways and most of what was posted in response to your question is more opinion than fact. I like the links to studies about carbs that were posted. I prefer to consult with professionals.

I found myself so confused by all the literature about carbs, fat, and protein that I decided to take a nutrition class at our local community college. Knowledge is power and I am learning so much!

Carbs have been given a bad name. There is such a thing as good carbs. It's kind of a long explanation to describe how food is converted to enery and how that energy serves our brain and muscle tissue (our heart is a muscle too!). In short, carbs provide the best and quickest source of energy to our body and mind.

Fat and protein can be converted but it's slower to become energy and, unless you are a body builder, it isn't a healthy way to eat while exercising. If you are a runner or bicyclist especially, you need fuel for the entire workout session. Without carbs for fuel your body will use the fat and protein; not as available or as efficient as carbs. Eventually, without the proper fuel, your body will start to cannibalize your muscle tissue. All the hard work you've done exercising will be for not because of your poor diet.

To keep bad carbs out, eliminate obvious junk food and empty calorie products as well as anything white; bread, rice, pasta, etc. If you are still going over your count, consult a trainer or nutritionist about the best way to get your carbs. Good advise leads to good habits leads to a healthy body and mind.

All the best!
  • dls06
    Options

I was talking about when Atkins first came out. I am a lot older then you and when it first came out it was ok to eat bacon and hot dogs soooooooooooo........................................
  • dls06
    Options
    Although I appreciate the support of our network on MFP, most of us are not experts. The question you are asking can be answered so many different ways and most of what was posted in response to your question is more opinion than fact. I like the links to studies about carbs that were posted. I prefer to consult with professionals.

I found myself so confused by all the literature about carbs, fat, and protein that I decided to take a nutrition class at our local community college. Knowledge is power and I am learning so much!

Carbs have been given a bad name. There is such a thing as good carbs. It's kind of a long explanation to describe how food is converted to enery and how that energy serves our brain and muscle tissue (our heart is a muscle too!). In short, carbs provide the best and quickest source of energy to our body and mind.

Fat and protein can be converted but it's slower to become energy and, unless you are a body builder, it isn't a healthy way to eat while exercising. If you are a runner or bicyclist especially, you need fuel for the entire workout session. Without carbs for fuel your body will use the fat and protein; not as available or as efficient as carbs. Eventually, without the proper fuel, your body will start to cannibalize your muscle tissue. All the hard work you've done exercising will be for not because of your poor diet.

To keep bad carbs out, eliminate obvious junk food and empty calorie products as well as anything white; bread, rice, pasta, etc. If you are still going over your count, consult a trainer or nutritionist about the best way to get your carbs. Good advise leads to good habits leads to a healthy body and mind.

All the best!

BUMP!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options

I said that regarding the statement that the person I quoted said about him dying from a heart attack. The media is the one that spread the rumor that he died of a heart attack from his diet and his wife had to issue a state to the contrary.

I have taken classes from Registered Dieticians at Atkins Nutritionals and this was one of the first topics they covered and because low carb and specifically Atkins was very popular during that time the media tried to derail the low carb revolution that was taking place by saying he died from a heart attack and not the slip on the ice.

The media had to retract their original statement and go with the REAL and TRUE story.

I had just started Atkins around the time frame that he had his fall and I remember everyone clarifying.

Can you provide some links to any reputable source of information that shows the media spreading the story that he died of a heart attack and the subsequent retractions? I performed a LexisNexis search and all the results make a point of saying that he died of head trauma. It seems much more likely that people were misremembering what they read than a vast media cover-up where they said that he died of a heart attack and then hid those stories from LexisNexis and posted new stories.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I agree 100%. I do eat carbs, but I'm careful about the type of carbs. Fruits & veggies have carbs - good carbs. I also eat brown rice, not white. I each steel cut oats, not quick oatmeal. I don't each much bread, but when I do it's wheat, not white. One little saying around our house is "The whiter the bread, the quicker you're dead!"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is an abudance of information on the web about carbs. Just look for reputable sites such as hosptials or medical universities. But basically the rule is much like it is for fat. There are good (complex) carbs (whole grains, veggies, fruits) and bad (simple) carbs (sugar, processed or white grains, sugar). Just as there are good fats (veggie fats - polyunsaturated and monounsaturated) and bad fats (saturated fat from animals and man-made trans fats). Too much of any either good fats or good carbs will still make gain weight, but some of both are needed for proper organ and gut function.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    DIdn't a famous run for your health guru die of a heart attack? Maybe folks are confusing the two.

In the God/guru/idiot/fraud debates, it should be pointed out that none of these diets have survived longitudinal studies. A few attempts have been made with Atkins, but the drop out rates invalidate the studies. On the other hand, there have been longitudinal studies showing that low fat/ high carb diets do not provide long term benefits to blood chemistry. A number of short term studies have shown much better blood chemistry results with any of the similar diets such as Sonoma/ Mediterranean/ South Beach.

One thing the science does show clearly: there are no health benefits to eating processed flours and sugars and it is not in anyone's best interest to build a diet around them. What is still up for debate is whether it is sufficient to limit them or they must be eliminated.
  • dls06
    Options

I am diabetic and even with a diabetic diet you need at least 30-40 brams of carbs per meal (more for men). Broken down to no more than 15 in a serving, not a meal. I have lost 30 lbs in 6 months. After Bloodwork all numbers were great. Just by watching what I eat. Cutting out junk food and eating a balance of Whole grains, Good fats, Fresh Fruits and Veggies, and low fat Cheese. Just saying what worked for me.