Quit blaming your kids!

Options
I have to rant for just a minute. I hate, and I mean really hate, to hear people say that they have to keep their cupboards full of cookies, chips and little debbies for their kids. Pregnancy is a good excuse to have a large belly for a few months but children are not a good excuse to eat like an idiot. Why would anyone think that they need to stock their pantry full of nutritionally void foods--foods that they have determined are poison-- just because their kids like them? Are they trying to kill their kids? How much easier a life will they have if they don't have to unlearn eating junk food when they turn 30 and the spread starts? Kids don't have their own money or cars, so grow up, be a good parent and stock your kitchen with healthy food for the whole family. And yes, I do think it is ok to include a little junk in your regular diet as long as you don't go over your calories or under on any important nutrients. The only significant difference between your diet and your child's should be portion size (and maybe a glass of wine every now and then).

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Word.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    Very well said!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Indeed!!!
  • mignalg
    mignalg Posts: 30
    Options
    AGREED!!! I have put my kids into the same eating routines I am am, given they are allowed more cheats than me, LOL. My girls have become used to having healthy food to the point where my oldest told me last week that she didn't want M&M's she wanted a healthy snack like carrots or celery. If they are taught at a young age to eat right it will not be a task later on in life for you or for them.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    100% agree.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    AMEN TO that! :bigsmile:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    well said!!!
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I soooooo agree! Thanks for the post! Your kids will eat the healthy food when they get hungry! They don't need garbage all of the time. Do we want them to struggle all the time eating healthily as adults?? Nope.
  • chasekilgannon
    Options
    My daughter is the reason I've finally kicked my own butt into gear, she's still young and I don't want her to remember an unhealthy mommy.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I understand the convenience of having those things when you have kids because you are busy. However, putting a little extra effort into planning and shopping witll more than guarentee all of our children won't turn out like us!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    right on :drinker:
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!
  • PeaceMe
    PeaceMe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    LIKE!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    amen.
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Like!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i agree. we should execute any parents that give their kids anything with processed sugars in it. then with the parents out of the way, we can put the kids to work in the salt mines.
  • Earthhorse
    Earthhorse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the first post!!
  • cleckner04
    Options
    I agree!!

And while we are on the subject, taking your kids to mcdonalds every week is not responsible parenting!!!! That is the worst crap you could possibly feed your kids. The playplace is a marketing ploy to get families in the door so the kids can run while we relax and eat, but it's horribly unhealthy! (I have so many friends that do this a few times a week)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I know that when I have kids, I'm going to try my best to keep them healthy. I don't want them to have to go through what I did. Don't want them to have to lose 100+ pounds at the age of 16 like me. I think that a treat (for you and your kids) is fine every now and then, but there's no reason to have a pantry full of junk... And, yet, my pantry is. I'm a bit a of a hypocrite, you see. I eat junk all the time. Haha. Wow, my kids are gonna hate me; I'll have to work on that.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    rockin' it!! hell, my kid's only a year old, and he already likes yogurt better than cookies! it's all about what you teach them.