For all you oatmeal eaters out there

Options
I haven't tried oatmeal in probably 20 years (didn't care for it very much then) but I've been reading about how good it is for you and how it keeps you from being hungry longer and just alot of good things. Sooo, what kinds do ya'll like and what are some of your favorite ways to eat it?

Replies

• skinnybyjuly
    Options
    Blueberries are great in oatmeal!
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    Tbl natural peanut butter (pb)
    Raisins/ pb.
    Blueberries/pb
    Bananas/pb
    Apples/pb

Yeah I love peanut butter.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and splenda
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Is instant ok? What brands and kinds are some favorites?
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal with cinnamon and splenda. And I like it thicker than most people do. kinda like a soggy oatmeal cookie, lol

Right now I am eating the Better Oats brand and they have lots of really good flavors (I got mine at Target)

Kashi has an instant oatmeal that is super delish.

Quaker Oats lower sugar brown sugar and maple is pretty yummy too.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I either eat creamy oat bran or multi-grain hot cereal and add cinnamon and blueberries. Super Delish!

Sometimes I add flax seed meal or vanilla protein powder as well but just doing the cinnamon and blueberries is filling enough for me.
  • Chitownblue
    Options
    Oatmeal is now my favorite breakfast, Soy milk, Blueberries, and a banana. Nothing else for me.
  • crazyquilter36
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal w/2tsp brown sugar or add some craisins ;)
  • golded
    golded Posts: 4
    Options
    I hate oatmeal, but I started mixing it with a tablespoon of peanut butter and it's pretty good. I try to get weight control or low sugar oatmeal
  • tjf1215
    tjf1215 Posts: 6
    Options
    bananas, strawberries and cinnamon. delish!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I HATED oatmeal growing up. Did the same as you and decided to give it a try, again, while I was pregnant. Anyway, the way I found that I like it best is: maple and brown sugar or blueberry cream instant oatmeal made with 1/3 cup milk NOT WATER. It tastes a whole lot better with milk to me. I use 2 percent milk.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I'd stay away from the instant because it has more sugar, more sodium and less fiber. The lower fiber and high sugar in the instant will counteract the satiety that you would expect from real oatmeal because it will totally change the glycemic index. Also, I find the texture to be worse in instant oatmeal.

At least get the quick-cook oats that cook in 5 minutes on the stove or a minute and a half in the microwave. Everyone has a minute and a half. ;)

I prefer the oatmeal cooke on the stove with only about 3/4 of the recommended water. I like it thick and a little chewy. I don't doctor mine up much--a teensy bit of butter (like half a teaspoon) and I'm fine with it.

ETA: Forgot you asked about brands. I just buy the big canister of the Quaker Oats.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and stevia - delicious! <3
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I like the High Fiber Cinnamon Swirl instant oatmeal. Quaker & Great Value(Walmart brand) both are really good. It has 10g of fiber per serving.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oat w/ 2 tsp brown sugar, ground flax seed, and small apple cut in bite size pieces.

OR

Steel cut oats w/ raisins and pecans
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options

I'd stay far away from instant oatmeal. One, it's more expensive and Two, it's definitely not as nutritious.

I buy Country Choice Organic Multi-Grain Hot Cereal through Amazon's Subscribe and Save program and pay $13.65 for 6 18.5 oz canisters.

The other cereal I eat frequently is Old Wessex Ltd. All-Natural Creamy Oat Bran Breakfast Cereal. Haven't delved into buying it on Amazon yet but it's $30.08 for 12 18.5 oz canisters.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i like some of the flavoured instant oatmeals, but i also love steel cut oats if i have the time. as for toppings, any kind of fruit, yogourt, if you have the cals a little bit of brown sugar and butter, nuts, peanut butter, jams/jelly, honey, agave nectar, chocolate chips...lol...pretty much, whatever you want to add.

as for kinds of instant, i like quaker, specially the new Hearty Medley's.
  • crazyquilter36
    Options

I found this about instant and regular oatmeal...
    Both kinds of oatmeal are made from the same basic grain, so the fiber is probably about the same, but instant oatmeal is cut into much smaller pieces and has more sodium added. The reason that Old Fashioned Oatmeal is better for you and has a higher glycemic index is that the larger grains digest more slowly, and therefore don't dump all their carbs into your system at once. That's why Old Fashioned Oatmeal will also make you feel full longer, too, which makes it a great breakfast food for dieters and diabetics.
  • Life0nMars86
    Life0nMars86 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use quaker instant maple n brown sugar weight control (only 1 gram of sugar) and its a lot and filling....I know a lotta ppl attack those of us who don't exactly eat "clean" and eat the packaged stuff lol but yeah....I also liked the reg quaker raisin date and walnut (I think that's what it was) but the weight control one seems to be more worth it for the less sugar....and it has more fiber and protein in it to fill u up, plus it seems to make a lot more. Doesn't taste the absolute greatest at first, but after a few days I got used to it and now I like it.

Wish u luck with finding one that you like and that fills u up :smile:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do plain, then add things.
    mixed nuts and cranberries
    flax meal and cranberries and nuts
    PB
    PB, and protein powder (chocolate is the best)
    banana
    plain