For all you oatmeal eaters out there

Options

Replies

• droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's Steel Cut Oatmeal. No funky stuff in it, comes frozen - three individually packaged servings each box for like $1.60 or so I think. You just put in the microwave from 3 minutes and enjoy!

I've never found any other oatmeal that I've like at all besides this one. I eat mine with either nothing or two tablespoons of milk in it.

Good Luck!
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use "Old Fashioned Oats" instead of "Quick Oats" and add either blueberries or golden raisins. I haven't seen a difference between Quaker and the house brands. Weight and cholesterol were both down for my last doctor visit. This is my breakfast every morning.
  • t1981
    t1981 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is one of my favorite meals... Keeps me full for so long that I like to eat it for dinner sometimes to keep fom snacking at night. I make mine with 1 egg white and skim milk. I use cinnamon for flavor instead of sugar. When I add bananas to it, it tastes like banana bread.. Yum!
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use the Quaker 3-5 min one and I warm it up in the microwave (this is awesome for work) and I use Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk (40 calories for 1 cup!) and then I put cinnamon and raisins in it. SO GOOD. :)
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    I use old fashioned rolled oats. I mix 1/2 cup of oats with 1 cup of almond milk and another 1 cup of water. I double the time to cook it and the result is a big bowl of creamy oats! Sometimes I add microwaved apples with cinnamon or a tablespoon of peanut butter. You can add fresh fruit, blueberries are my favorite!
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I get either generic quick oats in the big container (no sweetners or anything, just straight up oats) and cook it in the microwave w/ water because I don't like it goopy and the microwave makes it more solid (If it's goopy, I have traumatic flashbacks to working in a nursing home kitchen - icky)

I do the following things to my oatmeal
    Peanut Butter, Honey, Banana
    Homemade pumpkin or apple butter (made with fresh pumpkin and picked apples. be jealous!)
    Cinnamon, sweetner of some sort (truvia or brown sugar) with craisins (or other dried fruit) and a diced nut (almonds or walnuts)
    Same as above, minus dried fruit plus banana (tastes like banana bread)
    Canned pumpkin & pumpkin pie spice

I really hate the premixed packets...and they're stupid expensive!
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Quick cooking, never instant. I eat mine with no sugar, and any fruit and cinnamon and nutmeg. Sometimes I add milk, most times I don't. I prefer Irish Steel Oats or I'll use Quaker also
  • sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I hated oatmeal. I tried all kinds all different ways. Then I tried McCann's Quick & Easy Steel Cut. I love it. I eat it plain. Every once and a while, I'll mixed it with scrambled egg whites.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I really love strawberries and cream oatmeal. :) Not nearly as good for you as steal cut oats or old fashioned oats or even those special "weight control" instant oatmeals, but I don't care. Strawberries and cream is the only flavor I'll eat. (Besides the brown sugar one with the little dinosaur candies, but the calorie count is ridiculous with those. Lol. And there definitely not good for you).

I got old fashioned oats for a scone recipe, and since I never made the scones, I've been wanting to try a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in. I bet it's good... Too bad I've given up peanut butter this week. Darn.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I never liked oatmeal either. The texture seemed weird and slimy. I tried it again a couple months ago and love it now.

The brand I get is Better Oats Oat Revolution. I believe it is all natural ingredients, and says 'old fashioned instant oatmeal'. I have liked every flavor I've tried, especially the Blueberry Muffin. I always add berries, cinnamon & almond milk.

It's the skinny box and I've seen it at all the mainstream grocery stores, usually catch it on sale for $1 a box.
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    I like it with skimmed milk and I'll put in either sliced banana,cinnamon and grated apple or raisins.

The Scottish way to have it is made with water,a pinch of salt and so thick you can stand the spoon up in it :happy:
  • SugaDumplin
    Options
    steal cut oats w/blueberries, walnuts, cinnamon and butter.
  • ndswimchick22
    ndswimchick22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Quaker Instant Oatmeal with cinnamon and walnuts!

Or....

Quaker Instant Oatmeal the cinnamon apple version!
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big batch of steel cut oats and portion it out for the week. Then I add almond butter, honey, and banana. So yummy and filling. About 350 calories and I am usually good until lunch.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    Sometimes I eat it plain with ground flaxseed and scrambled egg whites on top. If I want it a little sweeter I'll put raisins, walnuts, cinnamon and banana in it.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    1/2 C steel oats made with 1/2 chopped granny smith apple and cinnamin and 1 cup water .. when done I add some almond silk, fresh ground flaxseed and chopped walnuts
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I like Quick Oats with brown sugar and milk. Yum!
  • michelellawrence
    Options
    I eat quaker instant oatmeal every morning before work.... I love the strawberries and cream, and maple brown sugar. It helps that my hubby works there. :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Old Fashioned Rolled Oats or Steel Cut Oats depending on how much time I have (Regular Rolled Oats are only 1:00 minute to cook in the microwave).

I usually eat them with craisins and milk. It's not my everyday meal so I don't need to switch it up.
  • ema21043
    ema21043 Posts: 45
    Options
    I just had oatmeal for dinner. . . grated apple, cinnamon and sometimes cranraisins. I use the quick oats not instant, instant has too much sodium for me. I have been eating oatmeal once a day for the last three months for at least one meal a day. I get my cholesterol checked next week, I really hope it has helped.