Women shouldn't lift weights - they will get too bulky

Options
RProhofsky
RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
Please post some of your favorite myths about fitness or nutrition.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Don't eat after 7pm. I think the movie Gremlins started this one.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    haha I loved Gremlins.

Here's one:

Muscle weighs more than fat
  • tlcrawford916
    tlcrawford916 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for about two months. I am not getting bulky at all. Personaly I think a little muscle definition on a woman looks nice. I dont try to kill myself with weights like the men at the gym do. I lift a decent amount of weight for four reps of 15. Especially legs and chest. Just trying to keep everything in the right place!!! lol Not getting any younger ya know!!!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    A kitten dies every time you touch yourself at night...or the variation of *kitten* causing blindness.

What? It's health related...
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    im sorry to tell pl who think muscle dont weigh more then fat you are wrong cause muscle does weigh more then fat...you need to do better research
  • shallott
    shallott Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No Pain, No Gain!
    Women who lift heavy weights can eventually gain the same muscle as men (without "the juice").
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    im sorry to tell pl who think muscle dont weigh more then fat you are wrong cause muscle does weigh more then fat...you need to do better research

Actually, 1 lb. of muscle is exactly the same as 1 lb. of fat. One pound is one pound, no matter what you are weighing. Muscle has a different DENSITY and MASS than fat, but weight is weight.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle mass without eating 500 calories a day over your TDE.

Oh and You can put on 3 - 5 lbs of muscle in a week if you're lifting heavy.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options

No, 5 lbs is 5 lbs...it "weighs" the same. The MASS is different. Muscle has less mass than fat.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You can gain 5 lbs of muscle mass in two weeks just with working out a bit (at least this it what people seems to think when they wonder about a weight gain).

And, sorry, Tammy, muscles DON'T weigh more than fat. One pound muscle mass = one pound fat = one pound ceddar cheese. :-P Muscles just have a smaller volume, which makes them look smaller than fat.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    A kitten dies every time you touch yourself at night...or the variation of *kitten* causing blindness.

Awww poor kitten.....lol
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    haha I loved Gremlins.

Here's one:

Muscle weighs more than fat

The truth is muscle is more dense than fat, so for the same volume of muscle and fat, yes muscle will be heavier.

One I have been seeing on here that annoys me: You can't lose weight just by exercising.

I lost 70 lbs in 7 months just doing 2 spin classes a week and probably eating somewhere between 3000-5000 calories per day.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

Thank god this isn't true because I really like kittens.

Another myth - You can spot reduce.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Actually, 1 lb. of muscle is exactly the same as 1 lb. of fat. One pound is one pound, no matter what you are weighing.

Muscle is more DENSE than fat, and therefore, has a greater mass, and takes up more space, but it doesn't actually "weigh" more...

i was gonna say that! how about:

"muscle turns into fat..." arent they separate cells?!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Myth: Eating red meat is bad for your health and makes it harder to lose weight.
    Fact: Eating lean meat in small amounts can be part of a healthy weight-loss plan. Red meat, pork, chicken, and fish contain some cholesterol and saturated fat (the least healthy kind of fat). They also contain healthy nutrients like protein, iron, and zinc.

Tip: Choose cuts of meat that are lower in fat and trim all visible fat. Lower fat meats include pork tenderloin and beef round steak, tenderloin, sirloin tip, flank steak, and extra lean ground beef. Also, pay attention to portion size. Three ounces of meat or poultry is the size of a deck of cards.

Myth: Dairy products are fattening and unhealthy.
    Fact: Low-fat and fat-free milk, yogurt, and cheese are just as nutritious as whole-milk dairy products, but they are lower in fat and calories. Dairy products have many nutrients your body needs. They offer protein to build muscles and help organs work properly, and calcium to strengthen bones. Most milk and some yogurt are fortified with vitamin D to help your body use calcium.

More at http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/myths.htm#dietmyths
  • SweetToothMelissa
    SweetToothMelissa Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My favorite myth is that carbs are the devil....but that bacon and butter are your friends :)
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Actually, a pound of muscles takes up LESS space than a pound of fat because muscle is more dense. That's the beauty of it. You can weigh more but be smaller if you have more muscle. The really good part is that, when you have more muscle, you burn more calories just when you're hanging around. Hmm. Better go build some muscles. :tongue:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume because it takes up way less space...........

However, 1 pound of feathers is the same amount of weight as 1 pound of steel. It is just the steel takes up less space.

Sorry to say hon that 16 oz = 16 oz
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options

5 pounds of muscle weighs the same as 5 pounds of fat right? When people say that "muscle weighs more than fat", they need to re phrase it better.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options

a pound of muscles weighs one pound. a pound of fat weighs one pound.

one pound=one pound

muscle IS more dense then fat, but one pound will ALWAYS be one pound... a pound of feathers, a pound of rocks, a pound of cookies, a pound of fat, a pound of muscle... are ALL one pound.