Women shouldn't lift weights - they will get too bulky

Options

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Doing ab exercises alon will shrink your waist!!! Everyone knows you have to do cardio and there is no such thing as "area specific" weight loss.
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Guess everyone else beat me to that one. LOL (must....type.....faster):laugh:
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    im sorry to tell pl who think muscle dont weigh more then fat you are wrong cause muscle does weigh more then fat...you need to do better research

No, 5 lbs is 5 lbs...it "weighs" the same. The MASS is different. Muscle has less mass than fat.

No, the mass is exactly the same, because mass x gravity = weight. Density is different.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Definite bump!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Enough of the semantics. A pound is a pound but a square inch of fat weighs less than a square inch of muscle.

Now that we have beaten that to death, let's have some more myths, please!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    A kitten dies every time you touch yourself at night...or the variation of *kitten* causing blindness.

What? It's health related...

:laugh: !
  • stark23x
    stark23x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more DENSE than fat, and therefore, has a greater mass, and takes up more space

Ahhh...you were right up to that last bit. 1 pound of muscle will take up _less_ physical space (volume) than the equivalent amount of fat. The density means it weighs more in comparable volumes, and that is what people mean when they say it. People who get wound up over that phrase are being just maybe a little overly pedantic. It's just a shortcut to saying "Given equal volumes, the density of skeletal muscle tissue creates a scenario whereupon the mass exerts a larger pull on gravity, and in simplistic terms can be said to weigh more."

Now, go ahead and use the word "tone" in front of me. like "Oh I just want to tone." NO SUCH FRIGGLE@#$&%FRACKING THING, GRR. You are building muscle or burning fat or both, but you are not "toning" muscle.

Everyone has a pedantic touchpoint. That one is mine. Well, one of them anyway. :)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    1. You can do specific exercises to burn fat in certain places (i.e. tummy, buns, thighs, arms), etc. You can't burn fat locally.

2. Women can't process more than 20g of protein at a time! Ha!

3. The minimum everybody needs is 1200 calories a day (some people need much more than that)

4. Eating after 7 pm will make you gain weight.

5. You should up your cardio to overcome a plateau.

6. Anything over 2 hours of cardio a week is a waste.

7. Working out on an empty stomach will help you burn more fat.

Oh, I know there's more, but I'm getting hungry doing all this thinking.

Have a great day. Fun post!
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    im sorry to tell pl who think muscle dont weigh more then fat you are wrong cause muscle does weigh more then fat...you need to do better research

Actually, 1 lb. of muscle is exactly the same as 1 lb. of fat. One pound is one pound, no matter what you are weighing. Muscle has a different DENSITY and MASS than fat, but weight is weight.

THANK YOU!!!!! LOL A pound is a POUND ppl!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Enough of the semantics. A pound is a pound but a square inch of fat weighs less than a square inch of muscle.

Now that we have beaten that to death, let's have some more myths, please!

Lol agreed!!

Now how about doing cardio cause your body to burn muscle.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    **Doohhh
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Another one related to the original:

To tone muscles (not get bulky, get definition, whatever), you should do high reps of light weights.

It drives me nuts seeing people (mostly girls) lifting these tiny weights repeatedly and can tell they aren't straining at all.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Another one related to the original:

To tone muscles (not get bulky, get definition, whatever), you should do high reps of light weights.

It drives me nuts seeing people (mostly girls) lifting these tiny weights repeatedly and can tell they aren't straining at all.

To build endurance muscles (long, lean), doing more repetitions of higher weights is advised. However, by the 12-15th rep, you should be straining. Especially on the second or third set.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options

No, 5 lbs is 5 lbs...it "weighs" the same. The MASS is different. Muscle has less mass than fat.

No, the mass is exactly the same, because mass x gravity = weight. Density is different.

j-1.jpg

I guess I am crazy, but their MASSES look very DIFFERENT!!!
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    haha I loved Gremlins.

Here's one:

Muscle weighs more than fat

Actually, muscle does weigh more than fat. Understand, please that you have to have the same volume of each, for example one cup of muscle compared to one cup of fat. "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9
    g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of
    fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser
    than fat." Source; The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 56:B191-B197 (2001)
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    Myth: Red meat is bad for you. Truth, green fuzzy meat is bad for you...
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ok seriously the horse is dead, black and blue. Please stop beating him!

The whole "don't eat after 7pm" thing has always made me laugh. My father in law used to tell me I weighed so much because I eat at odd hours of the night. Um no....I weigh this much because I have battled with depression and go through long phases where I binge eat and don't exercise. If I choose to eat at 10pm and then clean house or have the battle of wills with my children to just GO TO BED, I'm pretty sure I'm burning off the majority of what I ate.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Doing ab exercises alon will shrink your waist!!! Everyone knows you have to do cardio and there is no such thing as "area specific" weight loss.

Actually, the way I've seen people doing ab exercises at the gym, It would probably count more as cardio. When you see people doing 500 to 1000 crunches on those little machines, that is the only benefit they will get, is a cardio style workout. Of course you will probably get a better caloric burn doing other forms of cardio though.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Myth: Red meat is bad for you. Truth, green fuzzy meat is bad for you...

QFT! This made me LOL
  • stark23x
    stark23x Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Now how about doing cardio cause your body to burn muscle.

Anyone who says that is leaving out the important part.

Doing *TOO MUCH* cardio with insufficient protein intake will lead to catabolism. The stress response generates hormones. Those hormones suppress protein synthesis and creation of glycogen. Over time, this means you are not storing the energy you need for moving your muscles and your body will take that energy from muscle tissue if you are in a catabolic state.