Women shouldn't lift weights - they will get too bulky

Options

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    MYTHS !!!!!!!

(1) If you don't eat 1200 calories your body will go into "Starvation Mode" and you won't lose weight as fast. Biggest piece of crock I have ever heard...Talk to people who eat below 1200 calories, they lose a LOT of weight...Quick. But anyway, there is NO such thing! There IS a thing called Malnutrition...which you can get over a period of time if you don't give your body the right Nutrients.

(2) You should eat 3 Meals (maybe more) per day...CRAP, made up by the same Industry that Promotes Fast Food and the like.

(3) Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

(4) You need to EAT breakfast to "stoke" your metabolism.

(5) The Body is "fueled" only by Carbs.

(6) You need to DRINK 8 cups of water per day.

(7) You can FLUSH excess Sodium from the Body on a Daily Basis. Example: If you eat lots of sodium, you can drink 10/12 glasses of water during the day and pee it out...NOT, NOT, NOT!!! This is NOT Flushing...REAL Flushing is DEADLY!!!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    MYTHS !!!!!!!

(1) If you don't eat 1200 calories your body will go into "Starvation Mode" and you won't lose weight as fast. Biggest piece of crock I have ever heard...Talk to people who eat below 1200 calories, they lose a LOT of weight...Quick. But anyway, there is NO such thing! There IS a thing called Malnutrition...which you can get over a period of time if you don't give your body the right Nutrients.

(2) You should eat 3 Meals (maybe more) per day...CRAP, made up by the same Industry that Promotes Fast Food and the like.

(7) You can FLUSH excess Sodium from the Body on a Daily Basis. Example: If you eat lots of sodium, you can drink 10/12 glasses of water during the day and pee it out...NOT, NOT, NOT!!! This is NOT Flushing...REAL Flushing is DEADLY!!!

Um, I have never seen anything supporting that these are myths...
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    im sorry to tell pl who think muscle dont weigh more then fat you are wrong cause muscle does weigh more then fat...you need to do better research

No, 5 lbs is 5 lbs...it "weighs" the same. The MASS is different. Muscle has less mass than fat.

No, the mass is exactly the same, because mass x gravity = weight. Density is different.

j-1.jpg

I guess I am crazy, but their MASSES look very DIFFERENT!!!

Nope, you're thinking of volume.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    MYTHS !!!!!!!

These are actually all true. Science backs it all up. Sodium is water soluable, and so your body uses what it needs, and when you drink enough water, you flush out the rest (just like all vitamins except A, D, E, and K, which are fat soluable).

Please message me or friend me if you have any concerns, or questions, about why these are not myths.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My favorite myth is that carbs are the devil....but that bacon and butter are your friends :)

I love this, watching people try to lose weight eating cheese and pepperoni for 3 meals a day. How does that seem safe or healthy!?!?
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    MYTHS !!!!!!!

Um, I have never seen anything supporting that these are myths...

3 - there's been several studies done where people ate the bulk of their calories at breakfast for 3 months and another group ate them at night. Then they switched and did another 3 months. both groups lost weight at the same rate with respect to each other and with respect to the prior 3 months. As the Mythbusters would say, "Myth busted".

4 - Metabolic testing actual shows a slight boost in calories burned during a short fast, like over night sleeping. Eating in the morning technically decreases your metabolism, but it's really a tiny insignificant amount.

6 - you need to intake what you lose. lose in all forms, urine, sweat, exhalation, and intake in all forms, water, juices, vegtables, etc

as for the rest eehhh. I could go either way.

And since the horse still isn't dead. Density is mass divided by volume. Mass is not measured in pounds. So 1 kilo of fat takes up more space and is less dense than 1 kilo of muscle. Weight is and expression of gravity's force. With Earth's constant gravity 1 kilo is equal to 2.2 pounds. 2.2 lbs of fat is equal to 2.2 lbs of muscle.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    j-1.jpg

Okay that is just gross!:sick: I don't know about you, but looking at that picture of fat makes me want to get rid of it!
  • hroush
    Options
    j-1.jpg

Okay that is just gross!:sick: I don't know about you, but looking at that picture of fat makes me want to get rid of it!

I work at a college with a gym and they have these sitting on the desk at the entrance to the fitness center. My thought is that it doesn't seem like I still have that much fat on me, but I still keep managing to lose more of it.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My favorite myth is that carbs are the devil....but that bacon and butter are your friends :)

I love this, watching people try to lose weight eating cheese and pepperoni for 3 meals a day. How does that seem safe or healthy!?!?

That's no different than saying calorie counters eat nothing but a tablespoon of rice and a lettuce leaf.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Injecting yourself with pregnant women's urine will help you lose weight fast.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My favorite "I'm going to stop drinking soda and drink juice instead"
  • hroush
    Options
    My favorite "I'm going to stop drinking soda and drink juice instead"

:laugh: Even better if they were drinking diet soda.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I loved the Atkins diet years ago, seeing people by a turkey, bacon, ranch and cheese wrap to cut down on carbs, or reading in the paper how the diet claims you shouldn't eat carrots because they are 'loaded' with carbs.

P.S. I love juice but, like, the kind where you cut up a bunch of fruit and puree/liquify it in a blender. I've been too lazy to make any lately though.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Eating beaten dead horse topic meat is good for your mind and body.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Regarding "Starvation Mode" the truth is badly misrepresented. Kind of like the myth
    about sort of working out a little and having the additional five pounds be "muscle weight"

As most people throw it around "Starvation Mode" is a myth.
    As most people throw it around "Gaining weight due to increased muscle" is a myth.

Starvation Mode can happen to people who are starving...literally starving.
    I'm overweight, and if I eat 900 calories a day for two weeks I am going to be
    really really hunger, and I'm going to lose a lot of weight, and I am not going
    to be anywhere near starvation mode. It doesn't and can't happen over the
    course of one day or even several days. That part is a myth. Nobody reading
    this probably has any chance of getting anywhere near starvation mode. It just
    ain't gong to happen folks, throw that myth out.

In general, for probably everyone reading this, starvation mode is a myth, it does
    not in any way apply to what we are trying to do. It really is not within any of
    our capacity to get to starvation mode.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    j-1.jpg

The muscle isn't the best looking thing I have seen all day, either. I like it when things that belong inside the body just stay there.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    j-1.jpg

The muscle isn't the best looking thing I have seen all day, either. I like it when things that belong inside the body just stay there.

I totally agree! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Myth: Drinking breast milk will build muscle.

(while I was breastfeeding my son I was offered money for breastmilk by some "weightlifters" who were certain it was going to help them build faster)
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    one I saw in the usmc all the time is right before weigh in guys would stop working out a day or two ahead and spend those days in the sauna, all the while continuing to drink as much water as possible
  • ThePinkSheep
    ThePinkSheep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many kitties I've killed?