A question for the guys about "you know what"

Options
124»

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    How will we make it through Fall and Winter if there is no NFL football this year? BlueBawling.gif

spend time doing the other, "you know what"?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna' get alot of chips & beer thrown at me for this...

but I'd love for the majority of pro-sports (U.S., primarily) to go buh-bye. I take issue with players making 16 Mil to throw a ball (or catch one) or a puck. please go away!

I agree somewhat. My biggest problem is with baseball. I just don't see how so much money is involved. It's terribly boring to watch and the guys don't even run more than a couple hundred yards per game.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the occasional football game, but my husband is obsessed. Therefore I will distract him with Sex :blushing:

This is so the correct way for you married woman to help ease the pain for us married men.

It eases our pain too!

Sorry for leaving out the female NFL lovers. My wife will be completely happy that no Panther games will be on tv. If the Panthers stink as much as they did last year, I might be better off health wise as well with missed games.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I know you all want to watch women's college rugby! anyone?! anyone at all?!

*crickets chirp*

Yeah thats what I thought :ohwell:

haha xD
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    How do you think I feel after the season my beloved Pack had?

On the plus side, Aaron will need consoling. I can help him with that. :blushing:

As a long-suffering MN Vikings fan, I have no illusions of grandeur left. :laugh: It will mean less aggravation for me not to have to sit and watch them come up with still more unique and dramatic ways to lose each week.

Aww, Rider! If you guys would just take a crowbar to your wallet and buy new instead of used, maybe you'd have something to root for. :laugh:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I don't watch it so no big deal. I'm usually on a snowboard somewhere.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

but I'd love for the majority of pro-sports (U.S., primarily) to go buh-bye. I take issue with players making 16 Mil to throw a ball (or catch one) or a puck. please go away!

**ducks and runs as fast as her fat *kitten* will take her!**

(don't hurt me!) :flowerforyou: :glasses: <-- wouldn't hit a girl with glasses would you??

I'm not gonna disagree much with you, but professional sports have a place in our society outside of the pure entertainment value. My son received services through a wonderful local organization that helps prepare visually impaired kids for mainstream school. This organization has benefited through the Kansas City Chiefs organization the last 2 years during their preseason charity football game to the tune of around $400,000-$500,000 each year! This is an extremely generous gift of the fans as well as the chiefs organization. This is just one preseason game by one NFL team. Just think of all the other teams that do similar things across the country.
    I'm really not trying to pick on you, but really, let's think about all of the affects that not having the NFL would have on local economies, jobs for vendors, local bars and on and on.

I totally agree that some of the organizations make tremendous donations, which is fabulous, yes. AND - one player could make that same donation 10x over even without a career on ONE YEAR's income. That's a little bit outrageous. So for an ENTIRE organization or team to donate a few hundred thousand when they're paying out in the billions to players??? I'd like to see them doing a whole helluva' lot more for that kind of money if we absolutely insist that they make that much. 16 Mil.. for ONE player. *shakes head* Yeah, some of them do great stuff but their hundred thousand is probably the equivalent of $10 or $100 to the rest of us over the course of an entire year's salary. How much of a dent in your income is $10 going ot make over a year? Or even that $100? Probably not much.

And I don't know about where you all are, but wbere I am, the players make more than revenue is generated which is actually breaking the City, fiscally, considering the money that has to go into contract, stadium maintenance, advertising, etc. Private organizations make bukoo bucks - but the revenue probably ends up either negative or at best, even. Pro-Sports is economically injuring us, IMHO. We are hurting for jobs but we'll pay millions for a kick or a bat. Never quite got that logic.

I'm not opposed to pro-sports, I'm just opposed to the permissable greed rampant in the industry.
  • jfweisgerber
    jfweisgerber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would be devastated!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    YAY FOR NO NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    MLB - Baseball went on strike in 1994-1995, they lost a lot of viewers. Myself included.

NHL - Lockout in 2004-2005 - That's when POKER on tv became very popular, before that, who saw poker on TV.

NFL - 2011-2012 - no season - Billions of dollars would be lost.

So what will they bring out on TV, to keep the people watching. Maybe the LFL will get popular :laugh:
  • Whippy107
    Whippy107 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance, but is there going to be some sort of NFL shutdown or something?? ... or is this simply a "what if" thread? I don't really follow sports or watch tv so I would be none the wiser. :huh:

I do LIKE some sports ok, I just don't watch them :laugh:

Ok, there is Formula 1 racing...I do watch that on the computer when I can. Sadly, I'm just not really that interested in the rest :blushing:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance, but is there going to be some sort of NFL shutdown or something?? ... or is this simply a "what if" thread? I don't really follow sports or watch tv so I would be none the wiser. :huh:

I do LIKE some sports ok, I just don't watch them :laugh:

Ok, there is Formula 1 racing...I do watch that on the computer when I can. Sadly, I'm just not really that interested in the rest :blushing:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-nfl-lockout-idUSTRE72B25I20110312
  • Whippy107
    Whippy107 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Bobby. LOL

I suppose the Sun will still rise tomorrow, hey.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

**ducks and runs as fast as her fat *kitten* will take her!**

(don't hurt me!) :flowerforyou: :glasses: <-- wouldn't hit a girl with glasses would you??

^^^ THIS!! I SO agree.
  • amm703
    amm703 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nothing like watchin an NHL game
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    HEY! I love football and im a girl. so THERE. oh and...if theres no NFL I might cry. Just sayin'