I cannot jog any longer than 3 minutes

Options
13»

Replies

• TheIncredibleShrinkingDan
    Options
    Try doing intervals, so if u can only do 3 mins, do 3 mins jogging, 1 min walking until u need to stop

This is a good way to start but at a slower pace as others have said--like 5 to 6 mph. Run 3x per week.

Wk 1: Run 2 min, walk 1 for 20 minutes.
    Wk 2: Run 3 min, walk 1 for 20 minutes.
    Wk 3: Run 4 min, walk 1 for 20 minutes.
    Wk 4: Run 5 min, walk 1 for 20 minutes.
    Wk 5: Run 6 min, walk 1 for 20 minutes.

You get the idea. You don't have to use these exact numbers but alternate jogging and walking until you can jog for 20 minutes. Then work your way up to 30 minutes.

A book by Glover and Shepard called, "The Runner's Handbook : The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners" has a program like this along with all the info a beginner could want.

If you have a smart phone the 5k running programs seem to be really popular.
  • aleeroley
    aleeroley Posts: 14
    Options
    Get off the treadmill and get on the road! You'll enjoy your run so much more, soak up some sun, and have a more efficient workout. Treadmills rob your muscles of the "pullback phase". So, get outside in the fresh air, keep a constant and steady pace for long distances, and mix it up a bit with sprinting days...give it your all!
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I sprint at 8 and consider that my max speed. I run at 5.0!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely interested in learning more about this. I'd like to be able to run and jog but I breathe so heavily so soon after starting and it gets really bad even where the nose will start running :/ I went to the doctor and they didn't seem to think anything was wrong with me or out of the ordinary, granted I couldn't get them to run any tests on me. They just prescribed a basic generic inhaler that doesn't do much. Maybe I am just that out of shape? even in high school I was never able to run the mile like the other kids. Any tips or information on this would be so helpful.

Thanks for asking the question parisianskies002 :)

Everyone has pretty much answered the original question. When I run, my nose runs quite often. If I'm outside by myself I'm constantly launching snot rockets, mostly I just wipe it on my shirt. It's soaked from sweat anyway.

You may think it's gross, but running isn't pretty sometimes.

As for the breathing..slow down enough that you get in a rythym. And I highly recoment C25K.