Do you count the water in your protein shake...

Options
124»

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I count drinking water with nothing in it as water.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    So many crazy people out there. Water is not water if mixed with whey protein? What does it become exactly? Anyone that believes this, I would love to hear the science behind what happens to the water when it's mixed with protein and how your body processes the water differently? What are the new pathways created? Does the water somehow do something magical?

So, I'm curious. Do you count everything you eat and drink as water?? I mean, it all has water in it, right?? So, by your description, it should all count as water ......

I count: Tea. Coffe. Milk (But) flavored water, and soda.

I don't count food because while it contains water the exact amount to log would be hard, since the little glass only goes up by cups. I know, for example, milk is about 80% water. I take in a cup and a half (blahblahrounding) and log it as a cup. I drink a 12oz soda, I log it as a cup.

Surprisingly simple.

Soda, coffee, and some teas have caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic and contradicts the hydrating nature of water.

Aaaaaaaaaa! The caffeine is eatings all my waters! The myth that refused to die. Seriously though, you only approach the diuretic properties in caffeine when you drink 400-500 mg of it. So most people that drink it in moderation are fine to count their caffeinated beverages in their water count if they'd like.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    So many crazy people out there. Water is not water if mixed with whey protein? What does it become exactly? Anyone that believes this, I would love to hear the science behind what happens to the water when it's mixed with protein and how your body processes the water differently? What are the new pathways created? Does the water somehow do something magical?

So, I'm curious. Do you count everything you eat and drink as water?? I mean, it all has water in it, right?? So, by your description, it should all count as water ......

I count: Tea. Coffe. Milk (But) flavored water, and soda.

I don't count food because while it contains water the exact amount to log would be hard, since the little glass only goes up by cups. I know, for example, milk is about 80% water. I take in a cup and a half (blahblahrounding) and log it as a cup. I drink a 12oz soda, I log it as a cup.

Surprisingly simple.

Soda, coffee, and some teas have caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic and contradicts the hydrating nature of water.

Incorrect. Caffeine as a diuretic is highly overated, in general it can be considered to have a slight diurectic effect (and in reality it isn't linear but we don't need to go into that) - a cup of strong coffee affects postively the total body water balance.

Also, dietary protein has a higher diuretic effect than the usual consumption of coffee - feel free to drink your 3-4 cups of coffee without significant impact on hydration.

Interesting.
    I have about 8-10 cups of coffee, but I have always considered it to be a significant diuretic, so I increase my water consumption significantly.

That's a lot of coffee a day. Given that you drink 10 cups a day - it's likelier that your lifestyle is more sedentary, etc... than someone who is less of a coffee drinker (don't you love epidemiological studies? - Harvard Cohort - Esther Lopez Garcia was the author, in 2006) - There is a higher risk on health factors due to lifestyle than coffee, per se.

Drinking more water is generally not bad.

Yeah. Probably a little too much coffee. I work from home and watch my son while my wife is at work. I have about 4 hours to sleep every night, so the caffeine is what keeps me going through the day.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I do, cause my protein shake requires 350ml of water, i log 1 cup (although i know 220ml is the recognized amount of a cup)

Also after having my protein shake i always feel super thirsty so end up logging another 2 cups... Seeing as i always neck a pint of water after my protein its only fair.

Cause water is water is well.. water.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't. I only count water or herbal tea as water. I don't count coffee, smoothies, or shakes.
  • mjschumacher100
    Options

I don't actually count water as I'm not that anal but if I were to, then if my food had enough water quantity in it then sure, I'd count it. If I was making a pea soup which had 3 litres of water in it then yes I'd count it. I wouldn't do the same for steak because the water content would be negligible and it'd be pointless counting.

Re. the original question, if you're adding 250ml of water to a shake 3 times a day then sure, count the water. Unless you believe the water magically turns into anti water the moment it hits the protein. (or whatever magic people believe)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

The science behind this is well understood. Inside your digestive tract is a secret door. When you drink pure water, the door opens, and the water goes in. When you drink water mixed with protein powder, or eat a cucumber or drink a cup of coffee, the secret water door shuts closed, and everything goes in the other stomach compartment where water cannot be extracted from either food sources or non-water beverages. Your body is too intelligent to mix things up inside the digestive tract.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    No, you ruined perfectly good water and now you can't count it........if you keep that up your going to expire from dehydration.:wink:
    This. I drank mt dew almost exclusively for several years and died of dehydration dozens of times.

Only freshly distilled water counts, that tap water and "drinking" water that comes in bottles has minerals in it.
  • mjschumacher100
    Options

The science behind this is well understood. Inside your digestive tract is a secret door. When you drink pure water, the door opens, and the water goes in. When you drink water mixed with protein powder, or eat a cucumber or drink a cup of coffee, the secret water door shuts closed, and everything goes in the other stomach compartment where water cannot be extracted from either food sources or non-water beverages. Your body is too intelligent to mix things up inside the digestive tract.

I stand corrected! Secret doors!!!!!

:)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    No, you ruined perfectly good water and now you can't count it........if you keep that up your going to expire from dehydration.:wink:
    This. I drank mt dew almost exclusively for several years and died of dehydration dozens of times.

Only freshly distilled water counts, that tap water and "drinking" water that comes in bottles has minerals in it.

Even distilled water has some stuff in it. Better get distilled, de-ionized, reverse osmosed 18 milliOhm water.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely. It is silly not to. I drink a gallon of water a day and all of it is pure water except for the water in my protein drink after workout. I absolutely count it. I wouldn't count it in tea or coffee because of the sugar and caffeine. I look at it this way. If there is something in the drink that counteracts healthy then I don't count it. My protein drink is GMO, organic, and an almost perfect food so I count it!
  • MMulder68
    Options

I find this to be silly. Post the website or where you can prove this to be true and I will believe.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, the only time i count water when it's not by itself is in my protein powder after a workout. I think it's because i log the protein powder as a dry ingredient. I don't count coffee or tea as water. :drinker:

This. Usually I only log water as water (not milk or beer or whatever) But the water for my protein shake I do log, and unsweet tea I log as half the amount (I drink a tall glass, I log it as 1 cup).
  • bumblebums
    Options

I find this to be silly. Post the website or where you can prove this to be true and I will believe.

http://www.secretwaterdoor.gov
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bigger question: Do you count the protein after it has been mixed with water?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

The science behind this is well understood.

http://www.secretproteindoor.gov
  • bumblebums
    Options

The science behind this is well understood.

http://www.secretproteindoor.gov

swooning.gif
  • MMulder68
    Options
    [/quote]

Are you kidding me? Geesh!