A comment about your weight that still bothers you...

Options

Replies

• JennyJogger
    Options
    "That dress is so cute! & when you lose weight it will look perfect!" ...... this was said to me by a friend when we were shopping at the mall... rude!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    my whole family has told me "you could stand to lose a little weight." DUH! What do they think I've been trying to do since I was a teenager? get fatter? I've been on some diet or another my whole life, now it is all about changing my lifestyle into something I can do for the rest of my life!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    As a step-mom I am sorry too...I have to repeatedly tell my son that he's not fat...he says it like he accepts it, but I hate hearing those words. I've heard it my entire life. I do tell him he needs to exercise more and get healthy, but never ever would I comment on his body type. I just have my fingers crossed he'll be like his father...a monster lol.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    "That dress is so cute! & when you lose weight it will look perfect!" ...... this was said to me by a friend when we were shopping at the mall... rude!

depending on HOW this is delivered, this kind of comment can help me out. When I try on something that is still too small, my sister very kindly points out that it will fit, very soon, and that helps me feel better. But delivered in a snatchy way, this IS rude!!!!
  • ladyphoebe
    ladyphoebe Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was skinny when I was younger, then at 16 I was put on some medication that made me gain 60lbs in 2 months. From that moment on my dad was always having issues with my weight. I was really athletic when I ws in school and found it harder to be as active once I had gained the weight. My dad and I bonded over the sports I played so when I was having trouble its like I wasnt the daughter he wanted any more. I have had a hard time with that. Then to top it all off at age 17 I was told by a boyfriend that I had "nice child bearing hips." I lost it. I have been struggling to loose the weight ever since and I just cant seem to do it. Im looking for this time to be the clincher.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Dad: All I want is for you to be happy, but I don't think you will ever be happy becasue no one will love you if you look like that.

Dad: You must weigh 20 stone now (I Was 13 years old...I weighed 14 stone, which was big, but i didn't weight 20 stone, not yet)

Dad: You're like the side of a house.

Dad: When you were a baby people used to say you'd grow up to be a heartbreaker, but you've proved them all wrong.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    When I was 12, my mom said she was embarrassed to be seen with me. I look at old pics and I wasn't even that big just chubby. This spiraled me into an eating disorder and I lost 40 pounds....then she was happy to go out with me.

She still comments on my weight.

AAAWW I am so sorry to hear that, when it comes from fam it hurts the most. You are beautiful remember that.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think I hear the same thing that most of us ladies with weight to lose hear... "You could have such a pretty face..."

My mother yo-yoed her whole life. I grew up with my father jokingly referring to her as a hippo. And my mother lacked understanding and merely WILLED me not to gain weight. When I did, she has made it very clear that she is disappointed. I represent her and my weight gain makes it look like she failed. When we're alone, she says she is concerned about diabetes and such, but when we're in a family setting, she humiliates me. "Hogatha" "Thunder Thighs", etc. I try not to let it bother me because I know that my family knows her history with weight too. She's on the small end of things now and that's great for her. Additionally, my paternal grandmother typified everybody by weight. Their gains, their losses. Who was "little" and who had "just gotten so big, bless them."

I really don't have the body issues that my elders have. But I would be lying if I said they didn't affect me.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    last time i went to doctor he congratulated me for losing weight and talked about how my numbers were all improved etc. then as he was talking to his aid he poked my arm and called me overweight..i was like really you cant say i'm doing great etc and then be like "because he's overweight" bothered me a lil..

a few years ago i saw some friends i hadnt seen in years and one of them said the other was like is that marius who just passed by in the car? he looks like rick ross.! :noway: wtf
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I will never forget when I was in third grade, one of my classmates said to me"don't break the chair" I even remember his name, I was so hurt, it has stuck with me until this day.
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I know that is right!!!
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Why wait! Do it now!

Exactly! :) Unless you are using it as a motivator/reward...just do it. ;)
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I was planning for my first half marathon, I was nowhere near goal weight. I told my mom that I had registered and she said, "But you don't have a runner's body!"

Ow.

Turns out you don't need a particular body type to be able to finish a half marathon, though. I was near my highest weight on race day, but I somehow managed to run the whole thing anyway. You can't tell a "runner's body" by looks alone.

And I agree on the haircut, too - Don't wait! Do it now!!
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    "When are you due?"
    I wasn't pregnant :/

Also my cousin told me that she thought it was so interesting that I gained 10 lbs in the same year she lost 10 lbs. She didn't mean to sound hurtful I'm sure, but she could have used a bit of tact..
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Some recently told me that I couldn't wear a short haircut well because I had a double chin (this after I lost 20 lbs and the double chin).

My mon always called me "hippy", an aunt bought me a girdle when I was 12 and in school, they called me Bertha Butt. 5'9" and 125 lbs; I was right where I needed to be!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    "You'd be pretty if you weren't fat" - I'll always remember this. I was told at my 6th grade graduation by the boy I liked...sad.

"You have such a pretty face" - I'm told this all the time. I wish it was just "you're pretty" but it's just my face because of the weight. I'll get there!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    In 7th grade I sat on my lap and my mom said "Well you're not my skinny minny any more are you!?" I was under 100 lbs and probably a little over 5 ft. I know she didn't meand it to sound like that and meant that I was growing up but I still think of it to this day!
  • jovie929
    jovie929 Posts: 20
    Options
    My brother, who is four years younger than me, has called me a "fat-*kitten*" my entire life. The fact that he can no longer refer to me in that way and MEAN it thrills me to no end, but I don't think I'll ever forget it...
  • SweetLe
    SweetLe Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All of these stories break my heart. I dont understand why the parents would say these things to their children. Bless you all!!!
  • butlerjandb
    butlerjandb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @tiffanyquincey - I had this asked recently to me. It sucks and the last time I had someone ask me I ended up losing 60 lbs. I am sorry you were asked this. It's very hurtful, though they may have not meant to be. :(