Earth day! What do YOU do for our planet?

Options
tashjs21
tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
earthday.jpg

Happy Earth Day everyone!!!

Today is the day to recognize our Earth. I thought it would be neat to share our "green" tips with each other and the things that WE do every day to help our planet Earth. (we can get some really good ideas from each other!)

One of mine:
Our company switched to emailing our incoming faxes to each employee in an attempt to go Green. I take it one step further...I only print out things that are absolutely necessary and I never print the cover pages.

What are some of your things (big and small) that you do each day?

*edited as to not take away from the big picture*

Replies

• FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I am starting to use Microsoft office to its fullest and eliminating printing everything myself. Actually more organized now too.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Our family recycles.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Mother Earth? :huh:
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Recycling! And I take reusable bags everywhere I shop. And I try to buy the most ethically farmed produce, meat, eggs, and dairy I can get my hands on :)
  • Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cloth diapers!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I recycle to save on using trash bags and I also make handbags out of capri sun packets, dum dum wrappers, and basically anything that looks cute that I can work with :bigsmile:
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Yeah really.
    Why do people worship the creation and not the creator?
    I mean I am all for being a good steward of the gift we have been given but come on I just saw this guy driving a car with "mother earth" stickers all over and he chucks a cigarette butt out the window WTH?
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I recycle and use re-usable tote bags at the store! I'm looking forward to hearing other suggestions. Happy earth day!
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Awesome!! :drinker:

I love the idea of making things out of the recyclable things!

I have my "reusable" water bottles and don't use the plastic ones. Now if I could just get boyfriend on board with that. :grumble:
  • FORKDOWN
    Options

Yeah really.
    I mean I am all for being a good steward of the gift we have been given but come on I just saw this guy driving a car with "mother earth" stickers all over and he chucks a cigarette butt out the window WTH?

Lighten up people.

:frown:
  • tashjs21
    Options

Yeah really.

Oh trust me, I still celebrate my Creator. I love God and worship him every day. How often do we show that same respect for Earth?

Maybe it was an "un PC" choice of words, my personal belief is that their is a Yin and Yang to everything a feminine and masculine (just as we need a male and female to be born). That is my belief, I'll edit the original post to take out the "mother".

Bottom line, we are killing our planet and expect it to sustain us but don't do anything to put balance back.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I have my "reusable" water bottles and don't use the plastic ones. Now if I could just get boyfriend on board with that. :grumble:

My boyfriend and I just ditched the plastic water bottles a couple weeks ago! I bought him a water bottle of his choice so that helped change his habit :)
  • tashjs21
    Options
    I am starting to use Microsoft office to its fullest and eliminating printing everything myself. Actually more organized now too.

*high five*

I find it helps me to be less stressed, not seeing paperwork piled up. Thanks Forky! :heart:
  • FORKDOWN
    Options

*high five*

I find it helps me to be less stressed, not seeing paperwork piled up. Thanks Forky! :heart:

Disappearing piles of paper is a stress releiver.
  • tashjs21
    Options

My boyfriend and I just ditched the plastic water bottles a couple weeks ago! I bought him a water bottle of his choice so that helped change his habit :)

Great idea!! He doesn't like mine because he says the water tastes metallic. th_1sm067roll.gif

I'll just have to find him one that he'll use. Thanks!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

Yeah really.

There are good stewards of the Earth from all walks of life and all spiritual and non-spiritual pursuasions.... I believe being a good steward of the Earth is an important religious mandate that is all too often overlooked (and yes, i am a follower of one of the "major 3 religions"). Taking care of creation and being in awe of its splendor is not worshiping creation over the Creator. We can be in awe of all of what is created, making our wonderment that much deeper. Thru this act, we can learn to appreciate ALL of the life that is shared by all on this planet, from people who dont think & believe like us, to how we chose to nourish our bodies ("our temples"), to the water that is part of us all to even the living micro-organisms in the dirt. No matter what religion or idealogy you pigeon-hole yourself into, lets just enjoy the wonderful diversity and connectedness that we share.

Happy Earth Day everyone.

(from an organic veggie gardener, CSA share-owning, outdoor trekking & hiking, peace and people loving MFPeep :)
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Thank you adkwatergal! Beautifully worded!! :drinker:
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ** If you don't take care of your Mother Earth, your creator has nothing to show for his work **

Anyways, I recycle all paper, cardboard, plastic, glass and aluminum. My blue recycle can is usually more full than the trash can!

We switched to the energy-saving light bulbs, always use reusable bags for groceries and try to keep things turned off/unplugged when not in use.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I recycle, take public transportation and try to use reusable containers whenever possible. Earth is great. It is one of my favourite planets.
  • tashjs21
    Options

Oh trust me, I still celebrate my Creator. I love God and worship him every day. How often do we show that same respect for Earth?

Maybe it was an "un PC" choice of words, my personal belief is that their is a Yin and Yang to everything a feminine and masculine (just as we need a male and female to be born). That is my belief, I'll edit the original post to take out the "mother".

Bottom line, we are killing our planet and expect it to sustain us but don't do anything to put balance back.

I should clarify, by "we" are not doing anything, I meant society as a whole. There are people fighting the good fight (like everyone here :love:) but as a whole, we are not doing enough to un-do the damage we cause.