Earth day! What do YOU do for our planet?

Options

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I recycle and reuse at home and at work.
    I drive a car that gets excellent gas mileage but I walk when possible.
    All the light bulbs in my home are compact florescent.
    I don't buy bottled water. It's a huge money waste as well.
    I leave no trace when I am out enjoying the nature.
    I teach my daughter to care about her environment.

I "worship" this planet because it is all we have and it is my home. I wasn't put here to crap all over it. I want my grandkids to have a decent place to live.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    As for my Earth Day activities:

I am planting peas with my kiddos after lunch then we will go on a nature trek --- our annual tradition. Then i will be packing the dozens of boxes and bags for charity in my car to drop off tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is my "adopt-a-highway" cleanup weekend with the local runner's club, so will be doing that as well. I :heart: celebrating Earth Day!
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    - I compost my veg/fruit scraps/egg shells/tea bags with my bunny manure for the garden.

- Plant veggies, flowers

- Buy as locally as I can

- I'm a Tupperware consultant and try to encourage as many people as I can to buy/use reusable containers for everything.

- I bought a Kindle in an attempt to save some trees.

- Replant my unused horse pasture with more grass seed
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y4W9yVA00c&feature=related

It's also national jelly bean day. I choose to celebrate that.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    We recycle, use our own bags at the stores, e-bill for just about everything, my husband and I drive to work together, thus eliminating one car on the road. We also compost, grow our own veggies, and purchase locally as much as we can. I purchase the majority of my kids' clothes at garage or consignment sales, and sell their outgrown clothes at the same. I'm a member of my local Freecycle group and try to resell or Freecycle (or donate to the VVA) anything we don't use. I make my own cleaners, use rags to clean, use CFL's (and recycle them when they're used up), and...I think that's about it.

To the previous posters who complained that there was too much "celebration of the creation, not the creator"-- not everyone here has the same beliefs about religions, spirituality, and how Earth was created, so please be respectful of that. :heart:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

To the previous posters who complained that there was too much "celebration of the creation, not the creator"-- not everyone here has the same beliefs about religions, spirituality, and how Earth was created, so please be respectful of that. :heart:

Well said. Thank you.
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    My kids and I recycle and have started reusing water bottles. Also, I have reusable grocery bags.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    :smile: I dont have a car!!!...thats helping the earth a lot!!:smile:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Well said. Thank you.

I agree. Thank you for posting this, what I was having the urge to say was not quite as polite.
    Happy Earth Day everyone!

My husband and I have our backyard certified by the National Wildlife Federation for providing safe shelter for animals, not using chemicals, and promoting overall wellness for local species. We have a garden, a pond and a few water gardens. When everything blooms and fills in it's a lovely sanctuary, very peaceful :-)
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Agreed.. Thank you!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just used a reusable mug to get free coffee at Starbucks, lol..

but seriously, I recycle cans and plastic.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I believe my existence alone comforts the planet. We have a symbiotic bond. I live on it. It lives through me, achieving extraordinary goals and boasting about it in the form of entertainment quality.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I believe my existence alone comforts the planet. We have a symbiotic bond. I live on it. It lives through me, achieving extraordinary goals and boasting about it in the form of entertainment quality.

Excellent. You are rapidly becoming one of my favourite posters.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Mother Earth? :huh:

Yeah really.
    Why do people worship the creation and not the creator?
    I mean I am all for being a good steward of the gift we have been given but come on I just saw this guy driving a car with "mother earth" stickers all over and he chucks a cigarette butt out the window WTH?

because mabey your creator isnt everyones creator
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options

well said phil. well said.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options

i love that Mr. mcRotch embodies the Cosmic Consciousness - all by HIMSELF... :wink: :laugh:
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    walk and ride my bike more instead of drive (when I can). make my kids go out and play rather than using the TV all the time, purchase "green" products, recycle. I would like to do more:)) working on it:))
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

i love that Mr. mcRotch embodies the Cosmic Consciousness - all by HIMSELF... :wink: :laugh:

:laugh: Love it! :heart:
  • tashjs21
    Options
    walk and ride my bike more instead of drive (when I can). make my kids go out and play rather than using the TV all the time, purchase "green" products, recycle. I would like to do more:)) working on it:))

Everyone has to start somewhere! As one thing becomes habit add another! :drinker:
  • tashjs21
    Options
    We recycle, use our own bags at the stores, e-bill for just about everything, my husband and I drive to work together, thus eliminating one car on the road. We also compost, grow our own veggies, and purchase locally as much as we can. I purchase the majority of my kids' clothes at garage or consignment sales, and sell their outgrown clothes at the same. I'm a member of my local Freecycle group and try to resell or Freecycle (or donate to the VVA) anything we don't use. I make my own cleaners, use rags to clean, use CFL's (and recycle them when they're used up), and...I think that's about it.

We e-bill or pay by phone on everything too!

I am going to make my own cleaners when the products we have run out. Saving money and the planet!! :drinker: