Earth day! What do YOU do for our planet?

Options

Replies

• SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @ Htimpaired's - my darling daughter and I are working on doing the same thing with our backyard (mother/daughter project) - Congrats on an awesome achievement.

Now that the fear of frost is over .... we are planting vegetables in our garden.

And I am off to refill my water mug now!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your religious preference, we all live on the same planet. It's not that complicated to see that it needs to be taken care of. It's not like we can just pick up and move to Mars when we finish coating Earth in oil and trash. I'm just saying....

My daughter and I recycle paper, plastic, glass, cans, batteries, cell phones, clothes, shoes, and anything else that is possible.

We shop at thrift stores to support local charities and we donate back to them. I believe buying used first saves money on production and transportation. It's very small on our part, but still, it's our part.

We walk whenever possible or ride our bikes. I don't have AC. I keep my heat low and only use it when it's really cold. We turn off lights when not in use, unplug appliances if possible, limit our water use, don't drink bottled water- we have a filter on our tap, and we use energy efficient light bulbs which we dispose of properly when the time comes.

I don't use chemicals on the lawn or pesticides around the house. I seek alternatives and they seem to work better than the chemicals. (Plus, I don't like to kill things. I take them outside to the flowerbed or whatever.)

We shop at the farmers market in the farming months to support our local organic farmers. And I'm Vegan, my daughter eats mainly organic, local meat if she wants to. I think that supporting local food producers takes away from the destruction of the big, huge "food" producers.

I shop with reusable bags and sometimes ask for paper bags. I use the paper bags to seperate our recyclables.

I don't litter, I taught my daughter not to litter, and we pick up trash whether it is ours or not just because it shouldn't be there. We have gone to clean up beaches, parks, etc. because we want to be in a clean world.

I take an active approach to "complaining" by staying in contact with our senators and congressmen and exercising my right to vote for the people that I will be staying in contact with.

Most impl\ortantly, I respect the rights and beliefs of others and never expect anyone to do what I think is right. I just do it and hope others will follow. Education is the key. Alot of people don't do things because they don't understand the consequences completely. Preaching only creates enemies.... (Take PETA for example, the target audience that the messages are for aren't listening anymore.) If I don't understand where someone is coming from I educate myself and find common ground. Peace is part of saving our planet. We can keep it clean, we can do what we are supposed to, but all the hate and wars will destroy all the hard work we have put in if we don't start accepting who we are and how we are in this TOGETHER.

Happy Earth Day!!!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I have an "imaginary" friend (from a private parenting board) that is striving to be "trash free". It's really inspiring what she's doing...making her own yogurt, buying everything in bulk and putting it in her own containers, buying meat from the local butcher and putting it in her own resealable containers, etc. She said that in the month she's been doing it, her family went from filling up their trash can in their kitchen a couple times a week to going 3 weeks before it filled. It's pretty crazy, but very cool.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    i'm not celebrating Earth Day in and of itself. i just think it's stupid. besides, it's Good Friday, and God was here first - sorry, Government.

but i try to do good as a general rule anyway. i purchase the goods that have the least packaging. eat as freshly and wholesomely as possible, to avoid buying things that are packaged in bags inside of boxes inside of big packs. i consolidate all of my errands into one trip a week and all of my grocery shopping into another trip, so i take the car out as little as possible.

it's my belief that those who truly care about the earth (no matter how we got here) will make their effort every day, and don't need an actual holiday to tell them how.

ETA: we also use cloth diapers, reuse grocery bags as bathroom trash bags, carry reusable grocery bags when we have enough plastic ones, and receive NONE of our bills on paper at home. it's all online for us.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I believe my existence alone comforts the planet. We have a symbiotic bond. I live on it. It lives through me, achieving extraordinary goals and boasting about it in the form of entertainment quality.

Excellent. You are rapidly becoming one of my favourite posters.
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    i'm not celebrating Earth Day in and of itself. i just think it's stupid. besides, it's Good Friday, and God was here first - sorry, Government.

but i try to do good as a general rule anyway. i purchase the goods that have the least packaging. eat as freshly and wholesomely as possible, to avoid buying things that are packaged in bags inside of boxes inside of big packs. i consolidate all of my errands into one trip a week and all of my grocery shopping into another trip, so i take the car out as little as possible.

it's my belief that those who truly care about the earth (no matter how we got here) will make their effort every day, and don't need an actual holiday to tell them how.

ETA: we also use cloth diapers, reuse grocery bags as bathroom trash bags, carry reusable grocery bags when we have enough plastic ones, and receive NONE of our bills on paper at home. it's all online for us.

I agree.

I was taught as a child not to litter and I can't stand to see others litter especially when there is a trashcan close by. I don't go to any extremes but I do recycle paper products and try to keep electricity usage down. Ok, the electric usage is is because of financial reasons, I don't have a car so I walk or take public transportation., I don't smoke so I'm not polluting the air. Ok, I don't smoke because I can't breath around smoke but I'm still not polluting the air. I've even re-used fabric softener sheets. Ok, it's because I ran out but still it's a form of recycling. I re-use plastic grocery bags. But these things are a normal part of my life, not to celebrate earth day.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The city I live in has a recycling program that I take full advantage of.

I've also looked up the list of endangered plants native to my area and am planning a native garden. I've already got a butterfly garden in the works because their habitat is disappearing too and no one really thinks of the insects!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Just so y'all know, I am celebrating Good Friday as well...who says you can't "celebrate" both?

and I am pretty sure that everyone that has posted does these things on a daily basis and not just on "Earth Day"

Earth Day is simply a day for educating and recognition for the planet that sustains us.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The city I live in has a recycling program that I take full advantage of.

I've also looked up the list of endangered plants native to my area and am planning a native garden. I've already got a butterfly garden in the works because their habitat is disappearing too and no one really thinks of the insects!

Ohhh, what a great thing you are doing!! Awesome idea! :heart:
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    YAY Earth Day! It's one of my favorite "holidays"! Aside from Halloween but that's beside the point.

We do the basic stuff like recycling, bringing cloth bags to the store, try to buy stuff that is recyclable or at least can be reused in our home, switched out bulbs, do that whole "degree" trick with the thermostat, wash stuff on cold, buy in bulk, et al. I'm also so very very glad that our local Farmer's market is starting up. I so love all of you out there that grow your own stuff, you are such wonderful people! There is nothing like the taste of homegrown. :D

If we ever get our own house (or at least a really cool landlord), I'd love to start worm composting. That and get my own hens. It would be so cool to be that much closer to Mother Earth. :D Yeah I think I was a hippie in my past life.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER!!! Will make a HUGE difference for the planet. =0) Happy Earth Day!
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    Hubs and I have started looking at flowers, plants, and herbs that attract bees and butterflies as well. I'm insanely excited about it. :blushing:
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I work for a sustainability company. I am not sure I can list what I do, as I just do it naturally now, and think its the norm!

Recycling everything (clothes/rags/books etc to charity shops, old furniture etc on freecycle) as well as recycling the normal things at home such as cardboard, plastics etc (this is done at work also)

Our company has a car share scheme, so you can contact people in the co who live near you, and share with them. They also have a cycle to work scheme where they give you some money towards it, and the government pays the tax, so you get a bike much cheaper or free.

We did a test at work where one weekend we kept all the sockets on etc, and the weekend after, we turned ALL switches off at work (lights, computers, printers etc) and this made a 68% difference in the electricity bill.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Also, we use rainwater harvesting for the toilet flush, and for the first wash of the washing machine - also for watering the plants in the garden
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    Also, we use rainwater harvesting for the toilet flush, and for the first wash of the washing machine - also for watering the plants in the garden

Man I would love a rainwater harvester too! Again, city/landlord thing.
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    1. I don't buy bottled water, unless absolutely necessary. I use a water filter at home to filter my tap water.

2. Recycle paper, plastic etc.

3. My house is chemical free for the most part- I use Dr. Bronner's Soap for dishwashing & for other cleaning purposes. It has TONS of purposes. The weirdest one which I'm yet to try- To brush your teeth :) Once I run out of Tide, I plan to use Dr. Bronner's to wash my clothes as well.

4. I use only natural body care & makeup products. No sulphates, phthalates, parabens or other nasties for me.

5. Turn the tap off while brushing.

6. Limit shower to 5-10 mins.

7. Reduce the use of kitchen towels etc.

8. Hardly ever print anything.

9. Energy efficient light bulbs.
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Here is some of what we do at my house:

Compost our kitchen and yard waste.

Recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, and glass.

Use low energy light bulbs.

Always wash clothes in cold water, on the short cycle. (I want to line dry, too, but I live in Portland, OR, a pretty wet climate!)

5-min. shower rule at our house... the teens complain, so we offer to let them pay for the water bill in exchange for taking as long as they want in the shower... they never take us up on it! :)

Take public transportation whenever I can, saves me a ton on gas too.

Use a metal water bottle and tap water, instead of buying bottled water.

Use microfiber cloths instead of paper towels. I keep a roll of paper towels handy but hardly use them anymore.

Don't eat meat, which reduces carbon footprint.

Buy from bulk food bins whenever possible to buy less packaging material.

Use reusable grocery bags, produce bags, and bags for bulk foods.

Got off the mailing list for catalogs and junk mail to decrease paper waste.
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    Fruit4Dessert, you got me thinking. There's no way in hades I can take a 5 minute shower (due to hair half way down my back). HOWEVER, we have started doing more of the running low heat and turning it off to do things like lather up or shave. Old camping tricks are awesome!

Now to be totally gross, does anyone else follow low 'poo or no 'poo? (This is about hair folks, nothing seriously gross.) I wanted to start a thread about it but wasn't sure how many other water/earth conscious freaks were out there. :D
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    I have a bunch of friends (other board...it's an Atheist/Agnostic parenting board) who do low or no poo and they love it. I think it works better for curly hair--a ton of them follow the "Curly Girl" method, but there are some that have straightish hair and do it. My hair is so fine that when I work out and sweat, it gets REALLY stringy, but I do some powder/cornstarch in there at the roots and pull my hair up for the day.

Colorado just changed the law to allow for collection of rainwater, so we need to get a barrel for that...and I've been looking into using "grey water" for things, but I'm not sure what I can use it for.